AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Cables Galore (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Rear Surround Speaker Cable (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=47961)

Yamaki 04-20-2020 08:37 PM

Rear Surround Speaker Cable

As I set up the system in our new abode I realized I had no speaker cable to the back of the room for the rear surround speakers. So I need to add some. :sigh:

The speakers are Vienna Acoustic Waltz units, rated 180W @ 4 ohms and they are driven by an amp rated 200W @ 4 ohms.

These cables will go under the house from one wall to walls on both sides of the A/V room. What gauge, insulation and brands would you fine folks recommend?

Thanks in advance for your input. :thumbsup:

Masterlu 04-20-2020 08:58 PM

Michael... it could be your lucky day, I have an extra spool of WW Solstice 13ga which would be perfect for your application.

nicoff 04-21-2020 11:45 AM

Rear Surround Speaker Cable

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yamaki (Post 1002611)
As I set up the system in our new abode I realized I had no speaker cable to the back of the room for the rear surround speakers. So I need to add some. :sigh:

The speakers are Vienna Acoustic Waltz units, rated 180W @ 4 ohms and they are driven by an amp rated 200W @ 4 ohms.

These cables will go under the house from one wall to walls on both sides of the A/V room. What gauge, insulation and brands would you fine folks recommend?

Thanks in advance for your input. :thumbsup:

If your room configuration allows it, you may consider moving the amp near the surround speakers and then using short speaker cables to connect the amp to the two speakers.

You can run balanced XLR cables from the preamp to your amp. Balanced XLR cables are better suited for the long runs that you are describing. You can check out Blue Jean Cables for high quality balanced cables that can be run inside the walls and can be custom made of any length that you choose.

Yamaki 04-21-2020 01:25 PM

I appreciate the suggestion!

Unfortunately my room arrangement gives me no such option.

j3brow 04-21-2020 03:03 PM

I’m sure you have already talked to Ivan. That’s the smart play here. I bought a spool of WW Oasis speaker cable for my rears, Dynaudio Contour 30, driven by McIntosh MC501. Sounds great.

bart 04-21-2020 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j3brow (Post 1002665)
I’m sure you have already talked to Ivan. That’s the smart play here. I bought a spool of WW Oasis speaker cable for my rears, Dynaudio Contour 30, driven by McIntosh MC501. Sounds great.

So did I.
Very happy with it!

We even went to get it at Ivan's.
Some 100 feet of cable in my bag!
'Ultra heavy' was the label it got. :D

Masterlu 04-21-2020 05:30 PM

:tiphat: