AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Classe' Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Auralic Vega/Aries vs Classé 800mk2 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=34427)

Lassej 01-19-2016 07:02 AM

Auralic Vega/Aries vs Classé 800mk2

Hi,

I have a mac mini with JRiver. Then the mac is connected to the USB input av my Classé 800 mk2. I former had a HTPC with Lynx DAC- The HTPC create a much better SQ than the mini mac. But now my HTPC did'nt start and I am thinking of buying an Auralic Vega DAC and Aries streamer.

Both have got very good reviews and the Aries also works with Tidal and Roon. Do you think the SQ will increase with the Auralic combo compared the mini mac and Classé inbuilt DAC. Anyone have any experience?

Superfrg 01-19-2016 02:33 PM

I can only comment on the Auralic Aries, which I had in my system for some time.
The sound quality was a big improvement over a Bluesound node which was already good, the software was less reliable though and I found myself having to manually restart songs in Tidal alot, along with other gremlins.

I've since replaced the Aries with a Lumin (with dac), and besides a new jump in sound quality I found the software to be really excellent and reliable.
They make an entry streamer too without a Dac, which should be around the same cost as a Aries.

Hopefully someone can chime in with the Vega, which i've read many good things about but havent had the chance to sample myself.

Slimbo 01-20-2016 02:16 AM

I have an Aries feeding a Vega by ww USB cable and think they sound fabulous together. I download DSD and hirez files from acoustic sounds and Bluecoast as well as Apple lossless files onto an external hard rice and run into the Aries by USB. Sound is great.
I haven't tried a NAS drive yet but hear there is very good results that way also.
No issues with Tidal at all haven't tried Roon or Qobuz so can't comment on them. Aurilac's Lightning app works very well and they have the best support I've ever used.

Lassej 01-20-2016 01:21 PM

Thanks all. I believe thse Auralic combo are great but I heard some people had problems with buggs in the software. So today I ordered a Bryston combo instead. BDA-3/BDP-2.
Cost a bit more but should be very good.

Superfrg 01-20-2016 03:12 PM

I think it will be excellent, remember to post your impressions!

Lassej 01-20-2016 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superfrg (Post 754495)
I think it will be excellent, remember to post your impressions!

Yes, I will :thumbsup:

Lassej 01-21-2016 04:20 PM

Today the BDA-3 arrived. Didn't have time to listen so much yet but the SQ is much better than via the inbuilt DAC. Much clearer, tighter bass, more timbre.

Still using my mac mini with JRiver. When the BDP-2 arrive, lets hope even more improve.:thumbsup:

Mike-48 01-22-2016 09:56 PM

I think I'm in a good position to answer the question. I've got an Aries and Vega, and I just ordered a CP-800 to replace the Vega after a home trial. My system is based on streaming FLAC files across my home network.

Regarding sound of (A) the Aries via USB to the CP-800 vs. (B) the DLNA port on the CP-800. I could not tell any difference in sound quality, through numerous trials. They sounded absolutely identical to me.

I was disappointed, though, that the CP-800 does not seek within a track (which most high-end stream renderers will do), and when changing tracks in the middle of a track, the CP-800 sent crackling noises to my amp and took a while to lock to the new track. Again, the Aries does this flawlessly. I'm keeping the Aries until Classe improves their DLNA operation.

Regarding sound quality of the Vega vs. the CP-800 DAC. They sound a little different, but it's difficult for me to have an overall preference. The Vega at its best can sound a little rounder and less "electronic" to me. (YMMV!) HOWEVER, I often have to run the volume of the Vega below 40, and I find the sound a little less convincing then. And also: when I played a few vocals on the CP-800, they sounded quite marvelous. So I would call it a draw.

What sold me on the CP-800 are the analog volume control, the tone controls, the parametric EQ, and the bass management. I use subs to even the bass in my difficult basement room, and I can't think of a better way of doing that than the CP-800. Thus, the CP-800 can produce better balanced sound in my room than the Vega. I listen to string quartet music, much of which is recorded harshly, and it's wonderful to have the tilt control at hand. So for me, the CP-800 is a winner.

I also like the app.

I hope that helps.

Mike
P.S. New here: this is my first message on Audio Aficionado.

Masterlu 01-23-2016 11:49 AM

Mike-48... Welcome to AA! :wave:

Mike-48 01-23-2016 02:24 PM

Thanks, Ivan!