AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Inspire by Dennis Had (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Dennis Had Inspire Amps (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24170)

x3workshop 04-20-2016 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pstrisik (Post 775027)
He has made a few SET designs, but has not referred to the pentode designs as SET or SEP that I have seen (or recall anyway). In the ebay ad for mine, he talks about single ended, but not T or P:

This is a direct quote from Dennis regarding my amp:

"This amp is pure SET. Huge output transformers ... I run the output tubes in the triode mode. "

pstrisik 04-20-2016 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twanny (Post 775036)
This is a direct quote from Dennis regarding my amp:

"This amp is pure SET. Huge output transformers ... I run the output tubes in the triode mode. "

Twanny.... can you remind us which amp you have?

Musica Amantem 04-20-2016 12:02 PM

I See. Well, in my personal messages with Dennis, he always referred to my amp as a SET. In the end, is all semantics anyway, as it is the design what counts. Thanks for the information.

Musica Amantem 04-20-2016 12:04 PM

Quote from Twanny: This is a direct quote from Dennis regarding my amp:

"This amp is pure SET. Huge output transformers ... I run the output tubes in the triode mode
. "

Exactly what Dennis wrote to me about my amp, so, yes, Dennis seems to call these SET and as far as I can tell most amps from Dennis are strapped as Triodes. BTW, my amp does not have a specific output tube name, but it came stock with KT-88's and oversized output trannies.

pstrisik 04-20-2016 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musica Amantem (Post 775045)
Quote from Twanny: This is a direct quote from Dennis regarding my amp:

"This amp is pure SET. Huge output transformers ... I run the output tubes in the triode mode
. "

Exactly what Dennis wrote to me about my amp, so, yes, Dennis seems to call these SET and as far as I can tell most amps from Dennis are strapped as Triodes. BTW, my amp does not have a specific output tube name, but it came stock with KT-88's and oversized output trannies.

I never thought that naming the amps after tubes was his best idea. Makes them seem more limited when exactly the opposite is more the reality.

x3workshop 04-20-2016 05:23 PM

My amp has no output tube designation in the name. For whatever reason, I can't post pics here.

FloridaBoy 04-20-2016 06:55 PM

Twanny, Musica Amantem and I have the same amps. They are single ended
pentodes wired in triode. They have the same chassis and transformers as his 45 amp which is a true SET. So is his 2A3 amp.

I 'spose you could call them SET but they are not single ended directly heated triodes which are what is normally in audio referred to as SET.

I'm very happy with what I have. :thumbsup:

FloridaBoy 04-20-2016 07:12 PM

e-mail from Dennis

Hey, Les, your timing is great for a very special version of the KT88, SET. I just picked up a couple of chassis on Thursday from the powder coater for what will be an amazing KT88 music machine. 6SN7/6SL7 driver to KT88's. The rectifier is a 5Z3 and the power output is provided through a huge pair of 20 watt output air gapped transformers. You gotta get this version.

I have attached the style of the new KT88 amp with pictures of my 45 "Fire-Bottle" amplifier. Your amplifier will look the same with KT88's in the final. Each KT88 will have it's own filament transformer and separate auto bias system. You can tell I am excited about the new Inspire KT-88 "Fire-Bottle" amplifier.

Talk to you soon and let me know if you have an interest in the first one that I will be building this afternoon ... great timing indeed. God Bless you and the family and I'll talk to you soon

Dennis Had

I can't post a pic now...dunno why...but did in prior posts.

Musica Amantem 04-20-2016 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FloridaBoy (Post 775171)
e-mail from Dennis

Hey, Les, your timing is great for a very special version of the KT88, SET. I just picked up a couple of chassis on Thursday from the powder coater for what will be an amazing KT88 music machine. 6SN7/6SL7 driver to KT88's. The rectifier is a 5Z3 and the power output is provided through a huge pair of 20 watt output air gapped transformers. You gotta get this version.

I have attached the style of the new KT88 amp with pictures of my 45 "Fire-Bottle" amplifier. Your amplifier will look the same with KT88's in the final. Each KT88 will have it's own filament transformer and separate auto bias system. You can tell I am excited about the new Inspire KT-88 "Fire-Bottle" amplifier.

Talk to you soon and let me know if you have an interest in the first one that I will be building this afternoon ... great timing indeed. God Bless you and the family and I'll talk to you soon

Dennis Had

I can't post a pic now...dunno why...but did in prior posts.

Well, this is a literal, word for word excerpt reference from a Dennis mail reply on 8 October 2015:

"Your Inspire SET amplifier is wired in the triode mode. Pure triode zero feed-back. Your friend Les has the same ... triode SET." (Note: the three dots before "triode SET" are exactly as was written by Dennis).

He did not omit the "SET" adjective connotation in his reply to you either. I believe he means it when he says SET, but I think you are referring to the DHT SET when you cite the 45 and 2A3, 300 B etc. just MHO.

audio bill 04-20-2016 07:34 PM

These amps can be described as SETs since the output tubes are wired in triode mode, but to some purists a "true SET" amp uses actual triode tubes rather than pentodes wired as triodes. I guess it just depends upon how literally you want to define a 'triode' tube.