AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Shunyata Research (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Shunyata struggle (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=41205)

longgone 11-16-2017 10:28 PM

Shunyata struggle

Hello... I am trying to learn the hierarchy of the Shunyata cables.
For now, the power cords.
I am at the entry level.
I bought what I thought were Venom power cords. Printed on the end that connects to the audio gear is 'Diamondback' and '15A'. These PCs look like the Venoms in the pictures on the Shunyata sight. They are blue with the white stripe and the clear blue plugs at the ends that allow you to see the inside connections.
I thought they were supposed to be 20A and I wasn't thinking Diamondback.
I am new at cables and trying to learn about the Shunyatas.
Are Venoms, Diamondbacks?
Why would they be 15A?
I was expecting 20A.
I don't see any mention of Diamondbacks or Venom 15A, on the Shunyata sight, that appear to be Venoms.
Thank you.

SCAudiophile 11-16-2017 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longgone (Post 880195)
I am at the entry level.
I bought what I thought were Venom power cords. Printed on the end that connects to the audio gear is 'Diamondback' and '15A'. These PCs look like the Venoms in the pictures on the Shunyata sight. They are blue with the white stripe and the clear blue plugs at the ends that allow you to see the inside connections.
Why would they be 15A?
I was expecting 20A.
I don't see any mention of Diamondbacks or Venom 15A, on the Shunyata sight, that appear to be Venoms.
Thank you.

On the Shunyata Research website there are 2 excellent downloads, both in PDF format,....one is a cable and technology guide and the other is an overview of each part of their cable hierarchy and which cables are available in each level. Both are extremely detailed, transparent as to what technology is utilized and what differentiates each level of cables...

Antonmb 11-17-2017 02:42 AM

I believe all Shunyata power cords are rated to be able to carry 20 amps, and are available with either 15 amp or 20 amp plugs at the equipment end, depending on your needs. Normally you would select a 15 amp plug for most electronics. 20 amp plugs are typically only used on some power conditioners and higher-powered amps. Did you order 15 or 20 amp plugs? If your plug fits your equipment, you got the right one.

Re the “Diamondback” name, I think this was a predecessor to the Venom series. Where did you get the cables?

tdelahanty 11-17-2017 08:09 AM

The Diamondback is of the previous generation. It was a step above the original Venom P/C and retailed for approximately $250.00. 20A versions should have specific (different) terminations on both ends.

SCAudiophile 11-17-2017 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonmb (Post 880234)
I believe all Shunyata power cords are rated to be able to carry 20 amps, and are available with either 15 amp or 20 amp plugs at the equipment end, depending on your needs. Normally you would select a 15 amp plug for most electronics. 20 amp plugs are typically only used on some power conditioners and higher-powered amps. Did you order 15 or 20 amp plugs? If your plug fits your equipment, you got the right one.

Re the “Diamondback” name, I think this was a predecessor to the Venom series. Where did you get the cables?

Yes...15 or 20 amp, terminated as per need of the buyer from what I remember as well. Good point on calling out the prior generations including Diamondback, Taipan, Anaconda, etc....best course of action to understand today's Shunyata line-up is to pull down and read the 2 PDFs i cited on an earlier reply.

Puma Cat 11-17-2017 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longgone (Post 880195)
I am at the entry level.
Why would they be 15A?
I was expecting 20A.
Thank you.

What you have is a Shunyata Venom 3 power cord. The Diamondback, which is a model that just preceded the Venom 3, had a clear jacket with a silver-colored shielding underneath.

This is a Shunyata Diamondback cord:
http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_ca...e/DSCF1526.jpg

They both use the same clear molded plugs, so your cord's molded plug may have Diamondback printed on it, but if is blue with a white stripe it is a Venom cord.

If it is a 15 amp cord, the "slots" at component end will be vertical, if is 20 amp, the slots will be horizontal at the component end.