AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Where Pets Rule (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Eagles are back at Berry College (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=30237)

jdandy 02-13-2015 07:18 PM

Eagles are back at Berry College

The pair of eagles are back nesting at Berry College, Rome, Georgia, atop a big pine tree on the campus. Two eggs were laid, one on January 6th and one on January 9th. Today an eaglet hatched and the other egg has yet to hatch. Just a few minutes ago I watched the female eagle, the larger of the two, arrive back at the nest and the male flew off to hunt for dinner. Before the female eagle settled back on the egg and the new hatchling I was able to see the tiny fuzzy gray eaglet moving around on his first day out of the shell. The second egg will hopefully hatch in the next day or two.

Last year there were two eggs laid but only one hatched in February of 2014. That young fledgling flew from the nest the first time in late May. It will be interesting to watch the baby eagles grow and fly away. The parent eagles return to the same nest year after year, so hopefully we will be able to continue to watch new eagles being born, fed, and raised for years to come.

This year Berry College added a second camera (Nest Cam View 2) that looks directly down on the top of the nest. It has a microphone so you can hear the wind and the eagles if they make any noise. Nest Cam View 1 does not have a microphone. Both cameras have infrared night vision. There is a third camera in a neighboring pine tree (Approach Cam View) that lets you see the tree with the nest and the eagles when they are in the tree branches or flying into the nest. I enjoy the view of Nest Cam 1 the best.

Click on the upper right hand part of the screen for Full Screen View. The cameras live stream 24 hours a day.

Enjoy the eagles here: Berry College - Eagles

Save to your Favorites or Bookmark so you can return to the site and return year after year.

Still-One 02-13-2015 07:41 PM

This was fun watching on a off last year. Thanks for linking us to this year.

PlanarSpeakerFan 02-13-2015 08:25 PM

These are the best webcams I've seen. So neat to see eagles in their natural habitat. Thanks for sharing, Dan!

Ken

Chrisandalex1 02-13-2015 09:09 PM

Very cool

FlashG1 02-15-2015 04:24 AM

So exciting. My wife and I watched the young eaglet grow and fledge last year. Better than a soap opera on TV. I have been checking the last few days to see the hatch. Thanks for posting.

Masterlu 02-16-2015 03:19 PM

Eaglet #2 has hatched. :)

jdandy 02-16-2015 04:12 PM

Ivan.......Eaglet two (B5) hatched late Saturday night. They are now being fed by one or the other parent eagles several times a day. Yesterday there were two carcass in the nest, a squirrel and a bird. The eagles were feeding themselves and the two eaglets (B4 & B5). I really enjoy checking in on them regularly. The two eaglets are presently underneath on of the parents staying dry. It is raining on the nest right now.

Toobs 02-16-2015 04:22 PM

Dan
I just got a glimpse of the eaglets. The parent is doing its best to keep the babies warm and dry. This is absolutely fascinating.

jdandy 02-16-2015 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toobs (Post 675463)
Dan
I just got a glimpse of the eaglets. The parent is doing its best to keep the babies warm and dry. This is absolutely fascinating.

Bob.......It is fascinating. Here is a look at the current weather over Rome, GA. (RED DOT) Looks like the eagles and the eaglets are in for some foul weather and a big temperature drop.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7353/...abd5b164_n.jpg

SHV 02-16-2015 06:43 PM

" Yesterday there were two carcass in the nest, a squirrel and a bird."
Wonder why they aren't fishing? Is is unusual for Bald Eagles to feed on birds and mammals?

Steve