AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Shindo Laboratory (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Shindo Aurieges MM speaker/amp matching (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=43018)

rromeo 05-26-2018 06:44 AM

Shindo Aurieges MM speaker/amp matching

Just got a Aurieges MM preamp. I have it hooked up to two systems via a Schitt Sys being used as a switcher. I have one system with a Custom 45 SET amp into Altec 604G. This I am very happy with. I have another system with a Conrad Johnson SA400 (modified and upgraded) and PSB Imagine T3 speakers.This sounds great but it is missing the magic that I had when was using a PSAudio BHK Signature Pre. I still like the Aurieges better but....
Well I decided to switch out the CJ for a Will Vincent Baldwin Amp (25watt). The Will Vincent sounded reallygood (better texture and soundstage) but it wasnt enough power for the PSB speakers.

Looking for a high powered tube amp that would match well with the Shindo Aurieges and the PSB Imagine T3's.

Any suggestions?

FYI- $2500 or so budget in the used market.

rromeo 05-26-2018 03:58 PM

In simpler terms. Is anyone using a high powered tube amp with their Aurieges?

Masterlu 05-26-2018 06:28 PM

Calling all Shindites :)

Beavis 05-27-2018 06:20 PM

rromeo, you are good to good with almost any higher powered amplifier.

I have a Shindo Aurieges linstage preamp presently hooked up to my recently acquired (from Ernie at Audio Classics) 1978 McIntosh MC 2125 rated at 120 wpc but pushing 150 a side. I just got up from an eight hour session with the Aurieges, the McAmp and Tekton Lore speakers....didn't want to even break for lunch....the sound is yummy!

I have used the Aurieges with the following amps: Shindo Montille, McIntosh MC 250, McIntosh MC225 (tubes), First Watt J2, and First Watt F6....all of them sound great with the Aurieges. Only the MC 2125 and the MC 250 are over 50 wpc, the rest under 30. The Aurieges is one of the greatest bargains in audio and replaced my McIntosh C220....and you have the MM version (supposed to be a great phono section)...keep that preamp and match it with whatever you'd like!:banana:

rromeo 05-27-2018 06:25 PM

With my Set 45 amp and Altecs the synergy is amazing. Just need some wattage for the PSB Imagine T3 speakers. Currently the Conrad Johnson Solid State is sounding pretty damn good but it missing something that I believe to be tubes...

JayBass 05-28-2018 01:26 PM

In my experience, the issue of whether a pairing will work is not related to the power output or topology of the amp, but, rather, the impedance match between the output of the pre and the input of the amp.
Any amp I paired with my Aurieges-L that had an input impedance of greater than 50k or so worked great. Lower than that and some bass response was compromised, but, even then, not by a lot.

rromeo 05-29-2018 08:20 AM

The Conrad Johnson Amp I am using was modded and has a 200k impedance input. Still it is Solid State and I am looking for a tube amp that can drive my PSB Imagine T3 speakers at 89db efficiency. I tried with a 25 watt tube amp. It sounded good but nowhere near enough power. Anyone with specific experience using a high watt tube amp (100 watts or more) with the Shindo?

JayBass 05-29-2018 11:20 AM

Manley Snappers will do the trick.

rromeo 06-03-2018 07:50 AM

I am currently testing out a Conrad Johnson MV60se I borrowed from a buddy. It is a very nice match and I will have a hard time returning it. May buy it... It has no problem driving my speakers and sounds damn good!

fjn04 06-03-2018 09:25 PM

I've heard one of the Shindo preamps in to a CJ LPS70 (series after premier 140), and thought it was quite good. It was either Massetto or Monbrison. Many years ago, but it stuck with me as a combo that would work. I have also heard a Shindo preamp in to VTL st-150, and thought it was very good. I was told the MB-125 was also excellent.