AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Shunyata Research (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Venom NR v10 meets original Hydra (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=46222)

jimtranr 07-10-2019 03:47 PM

Venom NR v10 meets original Hydra

1 Attachment(s)
Imagine my surprise when a UPS driver showed up at my door an hour ago and asked me to sign for a package...from Poulsbo. I wasted no time in opening it and extracting its contents, a Venom NR v10 power cord with the twist-lock connector necessary to hook up my bedroom system's original-version Hydra. In short order, off came the stock 19-year-old Sidewinder cord and on went the Venom--with vise-tight connections at both the conditioner and the wall outlet (a PS Power Port).

I've spent only about 45 minutes spot-listening to Berlioz, Copland, Morton Gould, Prokofiev, and Turtle Creek Choir rips and downloads as the Venom "settles", but it's already apparent that the noise reduction and other technology built into the power cord unleashes more of the actual program embedded in those recordings--specifically, more immediacy or "presence" in presentation; more solid, better-defined lower end; more refined, less "tizzy" top end; expanded, more nuanced venue inner space; and punchier dynamics. The sum of it is that the speakers "disappear" further into the woodwork, bringing the listeners closer to the performance.

Why am I smiling? Well, because that's not the end of it. I have another NR v10 due in for the DAC.

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...5&d=1562785397

Puma Cat 07-10-2019 04:33 PM

Very cool! Congrats, Jim! :banana:

That is so cool that Shunyata modded the plug to work with your original Hydra. :thumbsup:

The attributes you describe sound consistent with Shunyata's NR products, but I expect that things will improve as the power cord settles; in 48-72 hours you should have a good handle on it, and the gains and improvements should be even more apparent.

Keep us in the loop as things settle, I love reading your reviews...

Best,
Stephen aka PC

Masterlu 07-10-2019 04:53 PM

Jim... Congrats; sorry I didn’t get the tracker to you before it arrived. ;)

jimtranr 07-10-2019 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 972377)
Jim... Congrats; sorry I didn’t get the tracker to you before it arrived. ;)

Not a problem, Ivan. It was actually a grin-inducing surprise when "Poulsbo" caught my eye as I was signing for it. :D

And the happiness continues as I listen to a 24/352 iteration of the Wild/Fiedler collaboration on RCA of Gershwin's Concerto in F. There's more unrestrained there there emanating from the Boston Symphony Hall stage. And more 'sock' out of the bass drum, attributable, I suspect, to better peak current delivery to the Hydra.

I like it.

Masterlu 07-10-2019 05:23 PM

Awesome... to say sales of Shunyata are brisk is a huge understatement. :ok:

Puma Cat 07-10-2019 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimtranr (Post 972385)
Not a problem, Ivan. It was actually a grin-inducing surprise when "Poulsbo" caught my eye as I was signing for it. :D

And the happiness continues as I listen to a 24/352 iteration of the Wild/Fiedler collaboration on RCA of Gershwin's Concerto in F. There's more unrestrained there there emanating from the Boston Symphony Hall stage. And more 'sock' out of the bass drum, attributable, I suspect, to better peak current delivery to the Hydra.

I like it.

Wonderful.

S'Interesting how Shunyata power cables and distributors always improve bass: power, definition, articulation and texture.

AVphile 07-12-2019 07:49 PM

Jim,

You are an inspiration! This afternoon, I placed an order for a Venom NR- V10 (with twist-on termination) power cord to replace the Sidewinder Gold cord which came with my “original” Hydra.

jimtranr 07-13-2019 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AVphile (Post 972701)
Jim,

You are an inspiration! This afternoon, I placed an order for a Venom NR- V10 (with twist-on termination) power cord to replace the Sidewinder Gold cord which came with my “original” Hydra.

I think you'll like it, Jonathan. :yes:

Puma Cat 07-13-2019 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimtranr (Post 972821)
I think you'll like it, Jonathan. :yes:

Jim,
I just plugged a single Venom NR-V12 in to power the Schiit Gungnir Multibit DAC last night, powered by the Triton V1.

Straight out the box (literally, the circular Shunyata box): mind blown. :yes:

And...it got better as it settled through the course of the evening.

More later, when I get some experience from listening to a broader range of content.

Puma Cat 07-13-2019 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AVphile (Post 972701)
Jim,

You are going to be REALLY happy.