AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Mark Levinson (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Mark Levinson (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=40138)

Old School 08-03-2017 05:22 PM

Mark Levinson

Why is there no Mark Levinson forum in the manufacturer's equipment section? Just curious as I have a total Mark Levinson system. I see they even had a Chinese/Japanese section. Is the brand considered subpar these days? Again just curious......

gadawg 08-03-2017 06:43 PM

I had a No37 and 360s combo up until recently. What a great combo! Still have my No326s which compares really well still! I haven't heard any of the new stuff so I can't say although they seem to be getting good reviews! I'm definately up for a Levinson forum! Anyone else?

Masterlu 08-03-2017 09:15 PM

Speak up now, or forever hold your peace. :)

crwilli 08-03-2017 09:30 PM

Mark Levinson

I have dissected an ML #333 amp to replace capacitors and was very impressed with its build quality. It also sounded great driving my vintage system.

It is a brand with substance. Somewhat surprised we don't have more owners here.

jdandy 08-03-2017 09:38 PM

I have been impressed with the Mark Levinson 585 integrated amplifier since its introduction. A special place for Mark Levinson owners to share would be a good thing.

http://tooloud.co/wp-content/uploads...No.-585-13.jpg

GaryProtein 08-03-2017 10:15 PM

I suppose you could say a Mark Levinson Audio Systems forum is conspicuously missing.

You might as well include Cello in that forum too.

In 1980, an investor acquired control of the company, allegedly without paying Levinson, and allegedly put MLAS through a planned bankruptcy to eliminate Levinson’s 43% interest in the company. Mark Levinson Audio Systems, Ltd. ceased to exist in 1984, with Madrigal Audio Labs acquiring its assets. Madrigal Audio Labs took Levinson to court and asked the United States government to forbid him from working in audio for the rest of his life. In August 1986, Levinson won the case but lost the right to use his given name as a trade name (such as is put on a product). Since 1990, the Mark Levinson brand and trade name have been property of Harman International Industries.

rnrmf1971 08-03-2017 10:17 PM

I've been enjoying my Levinson No.52 pre amp for almost a year and a half now, and I'm not considering any pre-amp upgrades for awhile.
I look forward to hearing more of what it seems to do well whenever I get around to upgrading my speakers.
I love not dealing with consideration of tube choice, as I did when I had my McIntosh C500T. I was always unhappy with some aspect of the sound when I had that pre-amp. It wasn't entirely the pre-amp, but it was part of it.

The Levinson 52 also has the majority of the features of my previous Mcintosh pre-amp - lots of inputs, phone stage, home theater bypass, multiple outputs, etc.
The inside of the Levinson looks very clean and well put together. The size of the pre seems to have been dictated by the design and the space needed to house the internal components. There's no empty space.

Levinson makes a big deal that the No.52 regenerates its own power, internally. That said, power cables and power conditioners still have a significant effect on the the pre-amp, to more or less the same extent I'd expect from any component.

I particularly like the newly updated cosmetic design of the recently released integrated amp, pre-amps, and amps - more so than my own No.52.

I will be envious if they release a new flagship pre.....

GaryProtein 08-03-2017 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rnrmf1971 (Post 859683)
. . . . I will be envious if they release a new flagship pre.....

You know, as with everything else, it's only a matter of time!

gadawg 08-03-2017 11:33 PM

I just wish we had a Levinson dealer in Dallas!

Masterlu 08-03-2017 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gadawg (Post 859706)
I just wish we had a Levinson dealer in Dallas!

I know this guy that runs a cool audio forum that is. :whistle: