AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Home Theater (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Home Theater vs 2 channel listening (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=2131)

1KW 09-10-2009 07:07 AM

Home Theater vs 2 channel listening

I have been spending more time the last few days listening in the home theater since adding some new Mcintosh components, the MX120 and MC207 . Sound quality, listening to a multichannel blu ray concert, Celine Dion -Live in Las Vegas (one of my wife's disks:D) the experience of seeing the show in such absolute gorgeous detail and listening to the music in surround sound feels like you are there. When the audience applauds or cheers it is realistic. I can see the allure of this venue for home theater, something that was just blase with my old Yamaha receiver. The MX120 presents the information in a way that just makes you forget your in a room and the performance captivates you. No echo or weird sensations like I used to hear listening to concerts with my old yamaha. Movies or even TV which is broadcast in dolby digital are also more enjoyable then a stereo presentation. Having said all this I am now in my 2 channel room having my morning coffee getting ready to start my day and listening to my 2 channel system, the CD: Elton John-Madman Across The Water. As long as the majority of my music remains recorded in stereo, for general listening of music, I still prefer my 2 channel system. The bottom line for me, my 2 channel system will still get the majority of my time when it comes to listening to music. Maybe when/if more well recorded multichannel music becomes available on Blu Ray this could affect my opinion :scratch2: What is your experience/opinion ?

klipschfan 09-10-2009 07:24 AM

It is nice to watch a concert on Blu-ray or DVD, but two channel listening wins for me...:music:

Still-One 09-10-2009 08:43 AM

I spend some time every day with my two channel set-up. We haven't watched a movie on either of the HT set-ups in probably two years. The one wasn't turned on from when hockey ended 'till last Saturday night when College Football started.

US Blues 09-10-2009 08:46 AM

My HT set-up IS my two-channel system. I don't have the time, energy, interest or inclination to build a multi-channel system at this time.

PS- Much of my TV watching is cartoons with my daughter, and Bugs Bunny was done in good old mono. :thumbsup:

jdandy 09-10-2009 10:01 AM

David.......I listen to my main system every day, often from 9:00 AM to after midnight. My home theater down stairs gets my attention perhaps 6 hours a week, sometimes less. 2 channel is by far the winner in this home.

gregswaim 09-10-2009 10:18 AM

2-Channel = :thumbsup:

Home Theater = :icon_thumbsdown:

PCM 2-channel stereo is used for DVD concerts.

TommyC 09-10-2009 11:05 PM

I only have one system, 2 channel. I use it for HT as well. I'm more into building a very good 2 channel than a substandard multi-channel. If I have the budget, I wouldn't mind a very good multi-channel though.

PHC1 09-10-2009 11:15 PM

I plan on using my 2 channel in an multi-channel HT room. I'll be listening to music and watching video concerts in 2 channel and watching movies in multi-channel.

1KW 09-10-2009 11:19 PM

I thought the same thing Serge until I saw and heard what a blu ray HD concert is like in multichannel. You will have to bring over one of your blu ray disks and hear for yourself:D

PHC1 09-10-2009 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1KW (Post 37251)
I thought the same thing Serge until I saw and heard what a blu ray HD concert is like in multichannel. You will have to bring over one of your blu ray disks and hear for yourself:D

I'll give it a try of course but so far the 2 channel track on those has sounded better to me when I compared. My dealer pointed that out and I agreed with the results.