AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Turntables & Tonearms (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Shinola Turntable (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=38802)

Still-One 03-10-2017 09:13 PM

Shinola Turntable

2 Attachment(s)
I was at my dealer today and he has one of the new Shinola turntables on display. Nice looking. Have no idea how it sounds.

Some nice video and photos on the Shinola site.

Bicycles, leather goods, watches and now audio. :thumbsup:

John49 03-11-2017 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 836178)
I was at my dealer today and he has one of the new Shinola turntables on display. Nice looking. Have no idea how it sounds.

Some nice video and photos on the Shinola site.

Bicycles, leather goods, watches and now audio. :thumbsup:

Yes, nice looking, but has anyone heard it in anger?

Mikado463 03-11-2017 10:01 AM

hell, they don't know "Chit from Shinola" !

audioguy3107 03-11-2017 10:11 AM

Looks pretty nice, Fremer had a write up on it at the beginning of March on the Analg Planet site.

- Buck

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/...D7BtFlMl4GG.97

snackeyp 08-16-2017 09:39 PM

As someone who worked in the bicycle industry for 20+ years I saw Shinola enter the market and dismissed them as a brand of dandies. Fancy gentlemen bicycles as I saw them.
I guess I see their turntables the same way but I also heard they are made by VPI so maybe they are worth a listen. Either way I am never as concerned with aesthetics as I am with function, so I think I will pass on their offerings. Not wanting to sound like a hater, just think I can find better quality from brands that focus on the important aspects of audiophile.

Masterlu 08-17-2017 12:54 AM

snackeyp... Welcome to AA! :wave:

Still-One 08-17-2017 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snackeyp (Post 862176)
As someone who worked in the bicycle industry for 20+ years I saw Shinola enter the market and dismissed them as a brand of dandies. Fancy gentlemen bicycles as I saw them.
I guess I see their turntables the same way but I also heard they are made by VPI so maybe they are worth a listen. Either way I am never as concerned with aesthetics as I am with function, so I think I will pass on their offerings. Not wanting to sound like a hater, just think I can find better quality from brands that focus on the important aspects of audiophile.

Their parts "may" come from VPI as you note but the tables are assembled by Shinola. If that is the case then what are the "important aspects" of the audiophile are these tables missing?

snackeyp 08-17-2017 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 862208)
Their parts "may" come from VPI as you note but the tables are assembled by Shinola. If that is the case then what are the "important aspects" of the audiophile are these tables missing?

I prefer to buy audio components from companies who spend most if not all of their time perfecting their audio offerings. A company who makes watches, bicycles and other goods that appeal to the fashion crowd is likely not going to have enough time and resources to perfect their designs. This is just my impression of their company, without any empirical evidence. In the end hearing is believing. I therefore keep an open mind about their turntables.

But if I had to make a choice between their turntable and a Clearaudio at similar price I would choose the Clearaudio every time. The Shinola might look cooler but I trust Clearaudio more because they know what they are doing and I do have empirical evidence to support my opinion (having owned two of their turntables). Clearaudio (and other companies who do only audio goods) are also better equipped to service their products, given that they do not also have to provide service to a bicycle and watch line.

Shinola fills a need for fashionable looking turntables, so this is a good thing for people who value fashionable looking things. I don't have a problem with this, it's just not what I look for in a brand.

snackeyp 08-17-2017 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 862191)
snackeyp... Welcome to AA! :wave:

Thanks! AA seems somehow appropriate as an abbreviation. Audioholics Anonymous? :)