AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   McIntosh Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   XCS2K as a Sub?! (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=49361)

McIntosh-maTRiX 01-09-2021 04:31 AM

XCS2K as a Sub or Gotham v2?

Hi Mac fans,
I wanted to ask you a question that has been buzzing in my head for a few days:

would it be possible to use an XCS2K as a Subwoofer?
I'll try to be clearer... :scratch2:

Using a MEN220 as a crossover and connecting the Sub-Out to a MC1.25KW and the latter to the section that drives only the bass of the XCS2k (the three 12" Woofers to be clear) what results could I obtain?
A decent subwoofer or am I just wasting time and money? :tears:

I ask you this because I would have the opportunity to buy one of these at a good price and since the XRT2K (in my opinion the best loudspeakers available on planet Earth, but too expensive for my pocket) are unthinkable, with an XCS2K, I would have half the performance of an XRT2K, and maybe one day I could use it as a central channel...

What do you think about it?
(Masterlu, I look forward to your comment on this :D)

Masterlu 01-09-2021 04:55 AM

I own two XCS2K’s and know them extremely well. You should not expect it to perform anywhere near a dedicated Subwoofer, which would cost a fraction of the XCS2K.

McIntosh-maTRiX 01-09-2021 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 1028668)
I own two XCS2K’s and know them extremely well.

I know very well your Cape Theater (at least from the photos:D, if I lived in America I would come and see you:tears:), spectacular...:tresbon:
I drool every time I see the photos,:eatndrink: congratulations...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 1028668)
You should not expect it to perform anywhere near a dedicated Subwoofer, which would cost a fraction of the XCS2K.

As I imagined...
The problem is that McIntosh doesn't build subwoofers and I'd like to stay at Mcintosh brand and continue to have that sound that has haunted me (in a good way:naughty:) for years...
Sin...:no::tears:

Masterlu 01-09-2021 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McIntosh-maTRiX (Post 1028669)
I know very well your Cape Theater (at least from the photos:D, if I lived in America I would come and see you:tears:), spectacular...:tresbon:
I drool every time I see the photos,:eatndrink: congratulations...

As I imagined...
The problem is that McIntosh doesn't build subwoofers and I'd like to stay at Mcintosh brand and continue to have that sound that has haunted me (in a good way:naughty:) for years...
Sin...:no::tears:

I use JL Audio dual Gotham’s in each of my theaters. There is nothing like them!

McIntosh-maTRiX 01-09-2021 06:25 AM

Yes, I've seen you use a double Fathom together with a double Gotham, really impressive...

Excuse me if I do a little off-topic, sorry:
I bought a Paradigm SUB25 precisely because when I compared it to a Fathom f113v1 I found it superior and I fell in love with the Paradigm with 15" woofer.
The SUB25 is now discontinued and therefore I have to migrate to other waters...
You say that with a single Ghotam I would feel really comfortable?

I have read many rumors on the internet claiming that a JTR RS2 is much better than a Gotham for a lot less money...
In your opinion are they true or are they approximate comparisons since these people have never listened to a JL Audio?

Thanks Ivan. :thumbsup:

Masterlu 01-09-2021 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McIntosh-maTRiX (Post 1028672)
Yes, I've seen you use a double Fathom together with a double Gotham, really impressive...

Excuse me if I do a little off-topic, sorry:
I bought a Paradigm SUB25 precisely because when I compared it to a Fathom f113v1 I found it superior and I fell in love with the Paradigm with 15" woofer.
The SUB25 is now discontinued and therefore I have to migrate to other waters...
You say that with a single Ghotam I would feel really comfortable?

I have read many rumors on the internet claiming that a JTR RS2 is much better than a Gotham for a lot less money...
In your opinion are they true or are they approximate comparisons since these people have never listened to a JL Audio?

Thanks Ivan. :thumbsup:

All subs including the Gotham will perform better in pairs. The reason is that they will more equally pressurize the room. In addition, a pair will help eliminate the localization of the source aka sub.

As far as the JTR RS2 being better than a Gotham, that really is funny. Hard to say why a rumor like that starts, but it certainly isn’t true. The Gotham’s performance is truly in another zip code.

McIntosh-maTRiX 01-09-2021 11:36 AM

Thank you very much for your detailed and as always comprehensive answers my friend.
I will follow your advice and as soon as I can I will take home a nice Gotham!

But first I'm trying to negotiate to go from the current 601 to my future goal, that is, the MC1.25KW ...
I will keep the mac-community updated!

McIntosh-maTRiX 01-09-2021 12:31 PM

But one other question arises spontaneously: :D

let's say that absurdly I managed to find the material to "replicate" a Gotham, let me explain please: :yes:
  • I made a cabinet not in fiberglass but in *carbon fiber, even better. :naughty:
  • I used **two JL Audio 13W7AE (which even if JL Audio itself says that they are not the same drivers used on a Gotham, I think they are very similar)
  • internal wiring by Neotech UP-OCC solid core copper/silver
  • XLR, IEC Inlet Socket and Binding Post by Furutech
External amplifier to be defined.
(with the money saved you could think of a McIntosh)
[If I remember correctly Charles used an MC1.25KW to drive his Wilson Thor's Hammer]

Crossover/dsp: MEN220, already in my possession.

Wouldn't I get a performance similar to half the price in the worst case?
Thank you in advance for your reply Ivan...:thumbsup:

* Here an example of the application of carbon fiber...
** I could even use three... :naughty:

Masterlu 01-09-2021 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McIntosh-maTRiX (Post 1028697)
But one other question arises spontaneously: :D

let's say that absurdly I managed to find the material to "replicate" a Gotham, let me explain please: :yes:
  • I made a cabinet not in fiberglass but in *carbon fiber, even better. :naughty:
  • I used **two JL Audio 13W7AE (which even if JL Audio itself says that they are not the same drivers used on a Gotham, I think they are very similar)
  • internal wiring by Neotech UP-OCC solid core copper/silver
  • XLR, IEC Inlet Socket and Binding Post by Furutech
External amplifier to be defined.
(with the money saved you could think of a McIntosh)
[If I remember correctly Charles used an MC1.25KW to drive his Wilson Thor's Hammer]

Crossover/dsp: MEN220, already in my possession.

Wouldn't I get a performance similar to half the price in the worst case?
Thank you in advance for your reply Ivan...:thumbsup:

* Here an example of the application of carbon fiber...
** I could even use three... :naughty:

Not even a remote chance that you could duplicate a Gotham, even if you were willing to spend twice the cost for a new one.

Without sounding like a cheerleader for JL Audio; they are hands down the World leader in subwoofer manufacturing, and sales. I could post some staggering numbers, but I will refrain.

There are videos on YouTube of the construction process of Gotham Subs. It takes JL Audio over 2 weeks to just make the cabinet. The amount of R&D that is in the Gotham is the culmination of everything they have learned about making Subs from the beginning.

I have visited the factory in Miramar, FL. it is like no other. :o

Masterlu 01-09-2021 01:59 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIiCImdm1TE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX3Gr9bdmG8