AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Where Pets Rule (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Surprise behavior. (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=9910)

DonBattles 09-11-2011 10:41 PM

Surprise behavior.

Well last night after reading the advice from my "Cat in the House" thread I placed Smokey's bed, towels, some toys, and water in our guest bathroom and introduced him his new digs. So this morning I enter the bathroom and have some good morning playtime and he proceeds to pee and poop in the floor. So I feed him and off to the pet store I go for a litter box and litter. I introduced him to the litter box but nothing was happening so time for some lunch. All seemed good and Smokey has had little to no fussing from what I can tell. So just a few minutes ago I go to get him for another feeding and he starts hissing at me, back ached and the whole but. I ignore it and have seat on the edge of the tub. He keeps the ached back posture and walks around very slowly with his tail tucked between his legs. I leave him be and just sit there for a few minutes and his posture seems to relax so a reach down and start petting him and here comes the hissing and posture again. I'm really not sure what's going on and hope someone will chime in and give me a clue. All our interactions today seemed good like normal with lots of purring and nuzzling, needless to say I'm really confused and worried :sigh:

Doug Lax 09-12-2011 12:15 AM

Don,
How long was it that he was left alone? Seperation anxiety could be causing this.

Jerome W 09-12-2011 12:17 AM

I'm not sure that he likes the bathroom.
Cats need hot places, with many comfortable pillows / carpets / sofas and so on : he misses his mother affection and sweetness and he needs to see and touch you. The bathroom is too "cold" for him.
Just a guess though.

Rilands 09-12-2011 12:31 AM

Sounds like he was either scared or pissed. Don't worry, he'll get over it. On another note, keep putting him in the litter box now and then until he uses it. When he starts using it try to keep it scooped clean, cats don't like dirty litter boxes and will start to go elsewhere if his box is too dirty. Kittens like to play, hopefully you picked up a few toys. If not, Kittens love chasing after a piece of yarn or string. After a couple of weeks he'll be running around like he owns your place.

DonBattles 09-12-2011 12:58 AM

Well not sure what the deal is but I waited a few minutes and he seems to be back to "normal". While the bathroom is a bit "sterile" he has his bed, towels, and toys and I've shut off the AC vent for that room as well. So we shall see.

10Beers 09-12-2011 09:10 AM

If a cat refuses to use the box it's usually because its either filthy of he's in pain.
1. In the wild, cats never use the same place twice. So if the box is not clean, well, think in terms of standing IN a public toliet... barefoot.
2. If he has a urinary tract infection, he will relate the pain to the box. The defensive posture may well indicate that he's in pain.
You aren't bedding and feeding him in the same room as the box, Are you?

Masterlu 09-12-2011 10:53 AM

What a helpful and caring bunch we are! :o

Rilands 09-12-2011 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonBattles (Post 204193)
Well not sure what the deal is but I waited a few minutes and he seems to be back to "normal". While the bathroom is a bit "sterile" he has his bed, towels, and toys and I've shut off the AC vent for that room as well. So we shall see.

Sounds like your doing a great job & all is going well. :thumbsup:

DonBattles 09-12-2011 01:46 PM

Some progress. After last nights late feeding we played for a bit and he got to the point where he didn't want to play anymore. So off to the bathroom we went. He made his way to a corner he peed in before and began to scratch. I picked him up strait away and put him on the LB and he did his business there after which I gave him lots of praise! This morning we had a similar experience. But he keeps going to the same corner. I'd put the LB there but the way the doorway is that's no possible. Anything I can do to discourage this corner as a preference? I've made sure I've cleaned the floor and all really well so there shouldn't be any traced of old pee there. Anyway, it progress none the less :)

DonBattles 09-12-2011 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10Beers (Post 204220)
If a cat refuses to use the box it's usually because its either filthy of he's in pain.

Could be pain but I don't think so.

Quote:

1. In the wild, cats never use the same place twice. So if the box is not clean, well, think in terms of standing IN a public toliet... barefoot.

The litter box is/was brand new with natural wheat litter so I wouldn't think its cleanliness is an issue.

Quote:

2. If he has a urinary tract infection, he will relate the pain to the box. The defensive posture may well indicate that he's in pain.

His pee is clear as it should be, other than that I cannot comment further.

Quote:

You aren't bedding and feeding him in the same room as the box, Are you?

Bed in same room but far apart, LB in the corner behind the toilet. I really don't have much choice with this. Feeding has/or ever will happen in this room. It's only for the times I'm not home or have to be outside and cannot keep an eye on him.