AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Pass Labs (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   New Pass XS Series Preamp rumored (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=18325)

The Sandman 01-06-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintage_tube (Post 421732)
Had you thought maybe Nelson decided nothing was gained pertinently with a 3 box design over a "conventional" 2 box design & put those R&D dollars back into a 2 box?

The XP-30 was only recently released and has been very highly praised. I doubt it would have been a 3 chassis design in the first place unless Nelson had found the configuration to be advantageous, and the reviews seem to bear that out. Re-reading the blog entry about the XS Preamp, it seems the two chassis are "oversized", so for some reason it was decided to consolidate - either for some kind of visual "symmetry" between the XS series amps and preamp or because the potential buyers of Pass Labs gear find a 3 chassis preamp implementation too cumbersome.

Kingsrule 01-06-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turntable (Post 421712)
It would be nice if Pass get rid of the giant phyallic symbol that is the volume control. It just looks too big for the chassis.

I wish the meter would go away. Really doesn't do much

mdkim 01-06-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g997 (Post 421869)
I wish the meter would go away. Really doesn't do much

Agree. One of my amps' meters is about one cm off of center. Being a paranoid anal freak I called Pass despite everything, to my ears, sounding fine. I was told the meters' calibration can get out if whack during shipping and that they don't really mean anything; if it sounds good it is good. Just seems it was added as a decal of sorts. To be fair, there is a lot of real estate on the faceplate...and it does sound good :D.

mbovaird 01-06-2013 01:05 PM

I've tried so hard to make the meters move, I gave up. I figured my ears would go before the meters moved. Mine are dead on center if plugged directly into the 20 amp circuit, but a hair left of center if plugged into my power conditioner. Wattage meters are great, but I find myself distracted by them. No meters on my Classe amp is nice.

Audioseduction 01-07-2013 01:11 PM

My xa160.5's are also a hair left of center while plugged into my power BPT isolation conditioner. I think my current xa160.5s and xp20 are long lifers for me. I'm at the point where I can just enjoy my system and not think about upgrades or tweeks. What a pinnacle of enjoyment!!! :music:

http://www.audioseduction.com/photos...s-xa160_5s.jpg

joeinid 01-07-2013 01:15 PM

Beautiful setup George!

tunes 01-07-2013 03:08 PM

This from the latest PassNews

PASSport to CES

With January here, the staff at Pass Labs is finishing its latest CES exhibit. This year, the spotlight will be on our new Xs Preamplifier. Three years in development, the Xs Preamp raises to the next level lessons learned designing our critically acclaimed XP-30 Reference Preamp and the two Xs Series Amplifiers, the Xs 300- and Xs 150.

It will be showcased in performance with Sony’s dynamic SS-AR1 Loudspeakers at the Venetian Tower Hotel, Suite 34-209, in a system that also includes a pair of the Xs Amps and our 2-chassis XP-25 Phonostage.

In appearance, the Xs Preamp is a large two-chassis system built in a true dual-mono configuration. However, most of the innovations are inside, where its several circuit boards have been fabricated from materials optimized for top performance in each functional area for which a board is employed. Circuit boards for power supply circuits have different requirements than ones for gain stages. In the Xs Preamp, each board is custom designed for its specific use.

mbovaird 01-07-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audioseduction (Post 422434)
My xa160.5's are also a hair left of center while plugged into my power BPT isolation conditioner. I think my current xa160.5s and xp20 are long lifers for me. I'm at the point where I can just enjoy my system and not think about upgrades or tweeks. What a pinnacle of enjoyment!!! :music:

http://www.audioseduction.com/photos...s-xa160_5s.jpg

George - I am so glad you're happy with your Pass xa160.5's. I feel exactly the same way. They were a big step up in performance IMO. I've been saying something similar. I just can't see how it could sound better than this. Maybe a different flavor :yes: but much better? These amps do EVERYTHING I ever wanted. They are fast, tight bass, they seem to go lower in delivering bass, their midrange is as good or better than any tube amp I've heard or owned and highs are sweet! :music:

My only little project left is building my media storage room. For now, I'm back to focusing on buying more vinyl and more CD's! :)

Mike

mbovaird 01-07-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tunes (Post 422492)
This from the latest PassNews

PASSport to CES

With January here, the staff at Pass Labs is finishing its latest CES exhibit. This year, the spotlight will be on our new Xs Preamplifier. Three years in development, the Xs Preamp raises to the next level lessons learned designing our critically acclaimed XP-30 Reference Preamp and the two Xs Series Amplifiers, the Xs 300- and Xs 150.

It will be showcased in performance with Sony’s dynamic SS-AR1 Loudspeakers at the Venetian Tower Hotel, Suite 34-209, in a system that also includes a pair of the Xs Amps and our 2-chassis XP-25 Phonostage.

In appearance, the Xs Preamp is a large two-chassis system built in a true dual-mono configuration. However, most of the innovations are inside, where its several circuit boards have been fabricated from materials optimized for top performance in each functional area for which a board is employed. Circuit boards for power supply circuits have different requirements than ones for gain stages. In the Xs Preamp, each board is custom designed for its specific use.

Thanks for sharing. It sounds like a real winner.

Audioseduction 01-07-2013 03:58 PM

Thanks Joe.