AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Member System Forum (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   New Home Build with Dedicated Room (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=44777)

jmw31 01-03-2019 06:47 AM

New Home Build with Dedicated Room

1 Attachment(s)
Not sure if this is the best location for this on the site so please move as appropriate.

I will be moving to a newly constructed home in October and part of the build is a 23' x 17' x 9' dedicated listening room.

This is not a true custom so I do not have a lot of wiggle room for changes.

The dimensions were the best I could come up with living within guidelines
I am going to add 2 20amp circuits - one mid on the short wall and one on the long wall so I have options to move electronics
I am also going to add an outlet in the ceiling in case I make this a 2 channel/AV room.
2x4 construction. Rug/8lb pad over concrete.
One small 1' x 2' in the back third of the room
One door 3' from back wall
Type 1 Whole house surge suppression (Sycom T1 Series)
4-6 LED cans in the ceiling

No plans to upgrade my system next year.

Any build suggestions are welcome.
Thanks in advance,
Joe

Weirdcuba 01-03-2019 06:52 AM

Watching with interest as I am essentially doing the same thing.

Still-One 01-03-2019 09:03 AM

I would suggest you run ethernet to your room. Hardwiring of DAC's and streamers is becoming more common. I would put one access point on each wall. Will you also have some 15 amps circuits for non audio requirements? Lamps, laptop charging, ipad charging?

I like the size of the room.

Macuser 01-03-2019 09:58 AM

Congrats to you and it sounds like you have a wonderful playroom shaping up. My only suggestion would be to run 3 dedicated lines rather than 2. One for each monoblock and one for the front end. I'm going by personal experience here as I've noticed my Mac mono's each like having their own circuit as opposed to one of them sharing it with the front end

jmw31 01-03-2019 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 947502)
I would suggest you run ethernet to your room. Hardwiring of DAC's and streamers is becoming more common. I would put one access point on each wall. Will you also have some 15 amps circuits for non audio requirements? Lamps, laptop charging, ipad charging?

I like the size of the room.

I will have Cat 6 to both locations with 20Amp circuits as well as 6 other 15 amp outlets. Thanks for the response

I have toyed with the idea of 20amp circuit for each mono block. Will give is some more thought as its short money to do it now.

bodiezaffa 01-03-2019 10:14 AM

Hi Joe.
Are you planning any in wall absorption or diffusion?

crwilli 01-03-2019 10:39 AM

Is the Sheetrock already in?

For The Love of Music 01-03-2019 11:27 AM

Good for you, but keep in my mind rooms can isolate you from family as most likely others in the home have little to no interest.

In reference to power, Audience makes an in wall OFC 10 AWG cable you may want to consider from the breaker to the outlet, I have not done this but plan to. And consider Audio grade outlets.

Having a dedicated circuit for Audio is the best route, but having separate circuits supporting multi outlets may introduce the infamous ground loop. Your system will not come close to 20 amps being somewhere around 3-5 amps leaving plenty of head room.

Perhaps others can chime in on this.

Higgens 01-03-2019 01:26 PM

Joe - You might also want to think about adding additional insulation to the interior walls. And perhaps an insulated door as well. I’m in a similar situation as you - building a house that will be ready in about 5-6 months so I’m following this thread with interest.

crwilli 01-03-2019 01:33 PM

New Home Build with Dedicated Room

If you have not installed the sheetrock, and your room is close to or under rooms which others will occupy when you are listening, I would suggest looking into isolation techniques.
— Hang your Sheetrock/drywall from Whisper Clips
— double the Sheetrock.
— install a heavy EXTERIOR door in the entry.
— Insulate with Quiet Batt. (Ivan uses that extensively)

There are other things you can do but this will go a long way to peace for all.