AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Tubes & Valves (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   Is tube rolling purely a McIntosh activity? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=19871)

GaryProtein 03-13-2013 07:21 AM

Is tube rolling purely a McIntosh activity?

Is tube rolling a McIntosh activity or do owners of other brands of tube equipment do it as well?

Rayooo 03-13-2013 07:50 AM

I've got a box of about 20 or so 6922s that I've rolled in and out of the 6922 based CJ preamps that I've owned....so yea, In my case, I've rolled. :banana:

The good news is I've gotten over this addiction in recent months, I was worried I'd wear out the tube sockets! :nono:

bakerman 03-13-2013 08:18 AM

I've always rolled tubes with all of the tube gear I've owned, and none of it was McIntosh. It truly can be a sickness. Looking for rare tubes, trying out different brands and styles. Hoping that next batch will have the elusive tube that brings everything together like a ray of light shining down from above...

The exception may be Shindo owners. All the tubes are hand selected for each piece, not to mention that most if not all are from stockpiles bought many years ago. There's no need to swap tubes when you have the best of the best already.

Audiophilehi 03-13-2013 08:46 AM

Tube rolling is huge within the headphone amp community.

Ohighway 03-13-2013 09:40 AM

Tube rolling. For any equipment that uses tubes. NOT just McIntosh.

Allan W. 03-14-2013 08:07 PM

I have multiple non Mac devices that use tubes. Rolling is an addiction for some of us.

Masterlu 03-14-2013 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allan W. (Post 460198)
I have multiple non Mac devices that use tubes. Rolling is an addiction for some of us.

Tube rolling is like marinating a fine steak. ;)

MyPal 03-14-2013 08:55 PM

Tube rolling is like trying a fine old wine that has been mostly forgotten. It's amazing to think that exceptionally rare tubes of yesterday have been stored unused for 50 years & are only now being energized by enthusiastic high rollers.

What I hate about this thread is that it reminds me to stay on the hunt which often results in another big spend on a risky NOS proposition.

bakerman 03-14-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyPal (Post 460237)
Tube rolling is like trying a fine old wine that has been mostly forgotten. It's amazing to think that exceptionally rare tubes of yesterday have been stored unused for 50 years & are only now being energized by enthusiastic high rollers.

What I hate about this thread is that it reminds me to stay on the hunt which often results in another big spend on a risky NOS proposition.

+1 :smoking:

MtnHam 03-14-2013 11:27 PM

Yes! Tube rolling has been practiced by tube equipment aficionados (particularly preamp tubes) as long as tube equipment of all sorts has been around! Contrary to the general opinion of many members of this site, the world of fine audio does not exclusively revolve around McIntosh gear!!