AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Turntables & Tonearms (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Technics SL-1200GAE... (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=35319)

thesaint519 03-30-2016 08:52 PM

Technics SL-1200GAE...

Hey AA - era,

For the very first time in my audio journey, I'm considering vinyl. I've always been in love with the looks of the Technics Turntables like the one in the link below:

Grand Class Direct Drive Turntable System SL-1200GAE Hi-Fi Audio | Technics

I'm not a dj nor do I have in interest in scratching. Why would I choose this turntable over say a VPI or vice versa?

Pls help. Thanks in advance.

tutomac 03-30-2016 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesaint519 (Post 770818)
Hey AA - era,

For the very first time in my audio journey, I'm considering vinyl. I've always been in love with the looks of the Technics Turntables like the one in the link below:

Grand Class Direct Drive Turntable System SL-1200GAE Hi-Fi Audio | Technics

I'm not a dj nor do I have in interest in scratching. Why would I choose this turntable over say a VPI or vice versa?

Pls help. Thanks in advance.

Great Question:thumbs: I have been wondering exactly the same thing... I hope you get lots of input here. Let's see...:scratch2:

jdandy 03-30-2016 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesaint519 (Post 770818)

I'm not a dj nor do I have in interest in scratching. Why would I choose this turntable over say a VPI........?

Ray.......Simple answer in my opinion, you wouldn't.

Alki 03-31-2016 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 770840)

I would agree with Dan here. Simply put it would not be an upgrade to much.

On another note I do like thr pro-ject tables and they have something for a wide range of prices.

Mikado463 03-31-2016 01:44 PM

I'll chime in with a different angle (and I'm a VPI owner), you say you're "considering vinyl" ............. that tells me have never been involved with analog, have no Lp's, but are getting 'jazzed' at all the hype as of late. Well that's all well and good but keep in mind the commitment (both financial and in patience) can be daunting.

As for the Technics table vs. VPI, the Technics will be much easier to set up and get running for a newbie. As for the price point comparison I suspect it will be a lot closer than most are willing to believe.

Back to your 'consideration' thought ........take a look at your total budget, for the TT alone is but one component of several needed for the format.

Myself, if it wasn't for my lifelong involvement in vinyl and the considerable amount invested (1000+ Lp's) over the past 50 plus years of listening to it, I wouldn't be starting from scratch today.

cleeds 03-31-2016 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikado463 (Post 770940)
I'll chime in with a different angle (and I'm a VPI owner) ... Myself, if it wasn't for my lifelong involvement in vinyl and the considerable amount invested (1000+ Lp's) over the past 50 plus years of listening to it, I wouldn't be starting from scratch today.

This is very well said and I couldn't agree more. I'm a VPI owner, too, and I have no plans to give up on the LP. But the cost of really good LP playback is very high; listeners like me (and probably Mikado463) have been able to spread that cost out because we've been into it for so long. The combined cost of my turntable, stand, motor controller, pick-up arm, cartridge, phono preamp, cabling, record cleaner, setup tools and maintenance devices would just not be worth it to me if I was starting from scratch today.

Volks 03-31-2016 03:07 PM

Both are good TT's ...............I would not mind hearing the Technics SL-1200GAE........

thesaint519 04-04-2016 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 770840)

Are you suggesting that the VPI would be a better investment or are you saying that either choice would do well?

cleeds 04-04-2016 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesaint519 (Post 771966)
Are you suggesting that the VPI would be a better investment (than the Technics 1200GAE) or are you saying that either choice would do well?

I'm not sure that anyone can answer this with authority. The 1200GAE isn't expected to be available until summer.

thesaint519 04-04-2016 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleeds (Post 771987)
I'm not sure that anyone can answer this with authority. The 1200GAE isn't expected to be available until summer.

Agreed. Nevertheless, the history and pedigree of the venerable Technics turntable should account for something.