AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Krell (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Krell s300i (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=29157)

Bavarian05 11-26-2014 02:21 PM

Krell s300i

Anyone here own one?
I am looking for a detailed opinion on the sound of this amplifier.
It would be paired with Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolutions. It would be a secondary solid state option.
Thoughts?

Zoran 11-28-2014 10:17 AM

As far as I know, the S300i has been recently discontinued, alongside with the bigger S550i (pitty). One can still catch a piece via the distributor/dealer stocks network though.

In my opinion, I cannot see healthy reason to pair such a pricey noble speakers with workman-like design like the S300i. This amp behaves fine in general, but as always a suitable pair of speakers is must.

Why not give a chance to the new Vanguard integrated? It should be way ahead od the S300i.

Bavarian05 11-28-2014 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoran (Post 654252)
As far as I know, the S300i has been recently discontinued, alongside with the bigger S550i (pitty). One can still catch a piece via the distributor/dealer stocks network though. In my opinion, I cannot see healthy reason to pair such a pricey noble speakers with workman-like design like the S300i. This amp behaves fine in general, but as always a suitable pair of speakers is must. Why not give a chance to the new Vanguard integrated? It should be way ahead od the S300i.

Hi Zoran,

Thank you for replying.
I am just looking for a dynamic solid state amp to keep on hand for those times that I want to rock out with some TOOL.
My Primaluna HP running KT-150s suits my regular listening really well, but does not have the current to produce the clean dynamics needed with that music on the 85db rated Guarneri Evolutions. I am hoping someone can provide me with a detailed opinion. On this amp and how it sounds overall. I also had a NAD M3 which was nice, but basically sounded boring. Almost too smooth in my opinion (at least in my system).

Still-One 11-28-2014 05:49 PM

I own one but only use it to run my whole house system. I can't really say how it would work driving your SF's but my guess it would be a reasonable option and nicely priced.

Bavarian05 11-28-2014 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 654393)
I own one but only use it to run my whole house system. I can't really say how it would work driving your SF's but my guess it would be a reasonable option and nicely priced.

Can you give me an overall feel for the sound and its overall presentation? Even some generalities would be helpful.

Still-One 11-28-2014 06:37 PM

As noted, I use it to handle the difficult load for powering 8 rooms of in-wall speakers that are used for background music. I have never performed any critical listening with it. It sounds a lot better than a Rotel Class D amp that couldn't handle the load.

Try checking with Richard (AKA MasterluJR) I think at one point he was using one to power some SF stand mounts.

Bavarian05 11-28-2014 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 654422)
As noted, I use it to handle the difficult load for powering 8 rooms of in-wall speakers that are used for background music. I have never performed any critical listening with it. It sounds a lot better than a Rotel Class D amp that couldn't handle the load. Try checking with Richard (AKA MasterluJR) I think at one point he was using one to power some SF stand mounts.

I just ordered one this afternoon. Will arrive tomorrow.
We'll see how it fares with the Evolutions.

Still-One 11-28-2014 07:24 PM

For the price and the resale of Krell gear even if you don't like it you should not loose anything. Keep us posted.

Bavarian05 11-28-2014 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoran (Post 654252)
As far as I know, the S300i has been recently discontinued, alongside with the bigger S550i (pitty). One can still catch a piece via the distributor/dealer stocks network though. In my opinion, I cannot see healthy reason to pair such a pricey noble speakers with workman-like design like the S300i. This amp behaves fine in general, but as always a suitable pair of speakers is must. Why not give a chance to the new Vanguard integrated? It should be way ahead od the S300i.

The Vanguard has cooling fans. I won't ever purchase another piece of gear that has or needs cooling fans. I dealt with fans on my ARC Ref gear and have since swore them off. I'm also not a fan of the new Krell design look either. Hopefully the S300i will fit my needs...Fingers crossed. I will follow up in a few days once I have some time on it.

Bavarian05 11-29-2014 01:43 PM

3 Attachment(s)
S300i arrived...