AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Wilson Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Controversial Opinion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=13955)

PHC1 05-09-2012 04:59 PM

Wilson speakers have been favorably reviewed by them many times. To come out and say that they are nothing more than a fancy paint job??? I'd like to see an actual explanation of how exactly he thought the measurements were bad and what makes Wilson speakers, bad value and bad speakers. Not that I ever paid any attention to his publication but I'll add Soundstage to the list of the ones I don't read. Can't trust any of them, really. :D Very unprofessional and very near sighted. :icon_thumbsdown:

Masterlu 05-09-2012 05:12 PM

Ignorance is Bliss...

Jerome W 05-09-2012 05:16 PM

Wilson speakers are fabulous.
And I'm a fan of Tannoy, PMC, ProAc, Rega, Harbeth and many other british speakers.
There is room for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado

cmalak 05-09-2012 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 307939)
Wilson speakers have been favorably reviewed by them many times. To come out and say that they are nothing more than a fancy paint job??? I'd like to see an actual explanation of how exactly he thought the measurements were bad and what makes Wilson speakers, bad value and bad speakers. Not that I ever paid any attention to his publication but I'll add Soundstage to the list of the ones I don't read. Can't trust any of them, really. :D Very unprofessional and very near sighted. :icon_thumbsdown:

Serge...Wilson speakers were favorably reviewed at Soundstage.com when Marc Mickelson was the chief editor. When he left a few years ago to start up TheAudioBeat.com, Doug Schneider took over and since he has been at the helm, I do not remember them ever reviewing any Wilson speakers. So they have not reviewed the S3, Sasha, Maxx 3 or Alexandria v2 or XLF.

PHC1 05-09-2012 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmalak (Post 307961)
Serge...Wilson speakers were favorably reviewed at Soundstage.com when Marc Mickelson was the chief editor. When he left a few years ago to start up TheAudioBeat.com, Doug Schneider took over and since he has been at the helm, I do not remember them ever reviewing any Wilson speakers. So they have not reviewed the S3, Sasha, Maxx 3 or Alexandria v2 or XLF.

Thanks for the clarification Cyril. :thumbsup: I'm still not going to read their publication just like I don't read some other online publications either. :D

kfr01 05-09-2012 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One
I agree with Mike. Just because I prefer another speaker does not mean I do not respect the sound, build quality and engineering in Wilson's line-up. If the correct stars aligned I would consider Maxx 3's along with a few other speakers in that price range.

As others have stated there are a log of haters out there, and Wilson is not their only target. Just because I choose not to purchase certain products that does not mean I should trash their sound.

Jim

Well said

jdandy 05-09-2012 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jax4736 (Post 307929)
Schneider's opinion definitely doesn't wrankle me too much, but to reduce Wilson to "just a paint job" is a contrarian opinion the likes of which I haven't seen before.

I've read about Vern Credille & the research that goes into the composite materials used in Wilson's cabinet. Wilson is wasting their time and money on the engineering that goes into the different materials if all they cared about was a "paint job".

I have some controversial opinions too...like Magico speakers. Heard the Q5 at a local dealer and they seemed dry to me. I acknowledge their amazing build quality but I was more delighted but the Paradigm signature 8's in the next room down the hall...they made more music to my ears. Maybe it was the electronics. In the same room as the Magico's (other end) was a pair of Revel Salon 2's and they sounded amazing with ARC electronics....so I don't believe the room was causing my opinion of the Magico Q5.

jax4736.......At least you didn't say Magico is just a fancy box full of metal braces and screws. :lmao:

howiebrou 05-09-2012 08:25 PM

What's wrong with a fancy paint job anyway? :D

JSCC 05-09-2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by howiebrou (Post 308019)

Yeah ... I am happy the Meridian DSP8.2kSL had a fancy WHITE paint job. To up the ante, they provided Ethernet (SpeakerLink) connections.:smoking: That should justify a few grand of the call price! :D

Seriously, its all about PRIDE OF OWNERSHIP, the LOVE and PASSION for the branding and PERFORMANCE - which itself varies from person to person. As long as one enjoys the music and likes the look (or not, by switching off the lights), its up to one's willingness to part.

Who knows, one day I might just say something else is better than Meridian and boom, I switched. BUT then, don't forget, I HAD enjoyed them for some time .... So, it will be very unkind of me to say things like that.

Rilands 05-10-2012 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by howiebrou

I like a nice paint job on my car. Expensive stuff should have a nice paint job or....beautiful wood.