AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Shooting Sports (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Any Competition Shooters? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=4683)

Masterlu 06-19-2010 07:50 AM

Cool story Bob :thumbsup:

Formerly YB-2 06-19-2010 01:04 PM

Yes.....ineteresting story. You should drop up to Butner (few miles north of you) and join in the fun. Put that match .45 to work.

Short very poorly in the 50ft event (4th out of 7). But we decided to also shoot an impromptu 100yd mini-Palma match and I managed to win that.

vintage_tube 06-19-2010 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 89029)
Yes.....ineteresting story. You should drop up to Butner (few miles north of you) and join in the fun. Put that match .45 to work.

Short very poorly in the 50ft event (4th out of 7). But we decided to also shoot an impromptu 100yd mini-Palma match and I managed to win that.

I just may do that once I settle down from traveling/testing & like today, yardwork & honey-do's. Will contact you for the specifics.

I'd love to give it a "shot."

Congrats on the mini-Palma match -- what was the weapon used?

Bob

vintage_tube 06-20-2010 03:56 AM

FYI, I asked my Dad about the specifics of the 45 match he gave me (he probably told me, I just forgot).

He built it from a military 45, special sights, grips, springs, and I asked about the tigger as to me it is a hair trigger. He said during match shooting back then (maybe today as well), the trigger could not be less than 2.5 or 3 pounds pull. He believe this is set up for 3 pounds (whereas a GI 45 is around 6+).

I also recall watching TV as a kid, and he'd be sitting on the couch with an unloaded pistol, aiming at something on the wall and slowly squeezing the trigger -- not sure if he was actually dry firing as don't recall the hammer hitting, but know he did this for hours, as he watched the black n' white.

Now and then I'd watch him take aim, like at a match, and sight in whatever he took aim at on the far wall, and wonder how he squeezes the trigger w/o any movement during or after? Now & then he'd hand me the pistol which weighed more than my right arm, or so it seemed, and concentrating as hard as an 11 year old could, try to replicate the precision -- nope, couldn't do it. I missed by a country mile or so (we'd say).

Bob

Formerly YB-2 06-24-2010 08:19 AM

That's the key to being a good pistol shooter. Practice, practice, practice................ Good conditioning is another big plus. Just like any other sport. Any off-hand shooting sport requires the same. Benchrest does not require the same level of conditioning, but does require the same level of practice and dedication.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintage_tube (Post 89032)
Congrats on the mini-Palma match -- what was the weapon used? Bob

Thanks. Though I would hardly call it a waapon, any more than a racquet is in tennis or a putter in golf (though all could be used as such). I was shooting a Remington 40-X with the medium contour target barrel and Redfield International sights, front and rear with a Lee Shaver insert and RWS Rifle Target ammo. It gets pretty specific with rimfire rifles, as they only shoot specific ammo well. For instance, the next 40-X might shot the RWS poorly and like the SK or Eley ammo. Definitely 'horses for course' in rimfire rifle competition.

If anyone is interested in shooting rimfire rifle competition, the CMP is selling Kimber 82G rifles, with excellent iron sights, for $600 plus shipping. As they are military surplus rifles (though they are new and unused) so can ship directly to you and not go through an FFL in most states (no longer in NJ as of about 2-months ago).

Shot in our bullseye pistol league last night and shot a personal best for the year. Even managed to win the event. But, that was likely the result of the 90+ temp and the fact that I like the heat and my fellow competitors (11 of us - usually 18-20 when not so hot) seemed a bit wilted. Cools off a bit and I'll be back to mid-pack. Service rifle this Sunday. Thankfully, it starts at 8:00 a.m., so should only be 85, or so, by the time we finish.

Formerly YB-2 04-09-2011 07:01 PM

Season has begun. 200yd rimfire silhouette last Saturday (shot my Winchester 1885 Low Wall - did well). Service rifle last Sunday (did poorly). Bullseye was Wednesday (not too bad). CMP M-1 match is tomorrow. All great fun.

Mikado463 08-14-2011 08:48 PM

love to hear and see the gun discussion gents, myself, I shot benchrest for years (6PPC) as well as long range varmint hunting....... .243 ackley, .223, .22-250, .220 swift

Right now I'm enjoying sporting clays with my two Browning O'U's and my Benelli Semi-auto

Formerly YB-2 08-24-2011 07:46 PM

Have started to get a bit more serious about BPCR & high power silhouette. Just ordered an MVA 28" 6x scope for my Winchester 1885 High Wall in 38-56. Both disciplines are shot at 200/300/385/500 meters. BPCR is off-hand at 200, with all else shot off of sticks. High power is all off-hand. My new Remington M700 CDL in 7mm-08 should be here by the end of the week. Will shoot it 'as-is' for the rest of this season, then have the action trued and bedded and the trigger set for next season. That assumes that it is a standard M700 for accuracy. Occasionally one doesn't shoot, but Remington will generally swap it for another. Will be using a Leupold VX-III 4.5-14x40 scope and competing in the the hunter class.

Makado463 - just noticed your locale. Shot 500m silhouette at the Atglen club this week and will be shooting the BPCR silhouette at Shippensburg next month. Great fun and a real challenge. We shoot 200m rimfire and BPCR silhouette at Quinton Sportsman, outside of Bridgeton, NJ on the first & second Saturdays of the month. Everyone is welcome to join in the fun. PM me if might be interested.

Mikado463 08-24-2011 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 196743)
Makado463 - just noticed your locale. Shot 500m silhouette at the Atglen club this week and will be shooting the BPCR silhouette at Shippensburg next month. Great fun and a real challenge. We shoot 200m rimfire and BPCR silhouette at Quinton Sportsman, outside of Bridgeton, NJ on the first & second Saturdays of the month. Everyone is welcome to join in the fun. PM me if might be interested.

'YB' , I know Atglen well, been a member there for over thirty years. 'tuned' my ackley up on the 500 meter range, zeroed @ 300 yds, longest kill on a 'whistle pig'.......794 yds. When I'm home I shoot sporting clays there on the first, third Sundays of the month, Oxford on the even Sundays.

I've sold all my varmint rigs except my custom .243 ackley and my .223 Cooper. Haven't shot a ground hog in two years.

Formerly YB-2 12-23-2011 01:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Going out for a round of sporting clays next Wednesday. Always fun, but my 'wing-shooting' is very suspect these days.

On the positive side, I did get second in my BPCR silhouette class at the last shoot of the year at Shippensburg. Hoping for good things this season. Here is a pic of my new C. Sharps High Wall. Having the barrel d&t'd for a 28" MVA scope so can shoot both open and scoped classes.
http://www.audioaficionado.org/attac...1&d=1324661557

Also, as we are headed up to the grandkids place for the weekend, got my Xmas gift early. Robert Whitley 6mmTurbo40Imp upper, RR lower w/X-Treme match trigger, White Oak Armament stock and Leupold 6-18x target scope. F-Class open (600yd) and XTC (200/300/600yd) with open sights. Great fun.
http://www.audioaficionado.org/attac...1&d=1324661557