AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Off Topic (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   What are you Reading or Read? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=25696)

Masterlu 03-09-2014 02:23 PM

What are you Reading or Read?

Tell us what you are reading, or have read?

Robert_Anderson 03-09-2014 02:29 PM

I'm currently reading "Seventeen Moments Of Spring" by Yuliana Semyonov.

I just finished "The Human Condition" by Hannah Arendt.

Antonmb 03-09-2014 04:08 PM

Great idea for a thread. I recently finished "How The Light Gets In" by Louise Penny. This is the last in the Armand Gamache/Three Pines mysteries. If you're not familiar with this series and you like atmospheric mysteries with plenty of character and plot development, seek these out but start with the first one, "Still Life".

antipop 03-09-2014 04:12 PM

I've been reading a lot of finance book/novels. The recent read were:
Liar's poker -> story of a young college kid entering the world of finance and fixed income during the junk bond heyday and arbitrage.
Lords of finance -> extremely fascinating novel about the head of the central bank of the US, Germany and UK before, during and after WWI including the lead to 29 and the aftermath. I really enjoyed this one and give you insight into how each country is reacting today
Too big too fail -> very well documented of the back story behind the TARP and the timing during the crisis and how people reacted. I didn't enjoy it as much as Street Fighters
Street fighters -> the story of Bear Sterns and what led to their fall. I really loved this one. It is fast paced, you really get the sense of urgency and people fighting against something bigger than them.
When genius failed -> the rise and fall of LTCM filled with hubris and oversized ego. It shows that Wall Street is a humbling place and the star of the day can fall as fast as he rose.

I'm currently reading The Snowball, the biography of Warren Buffett. It's a big book which takes you from his birth and childhood, to his first work experience to today. It's very well documented with a lot of references. I'm really enjoying it even though it's making me change my opinion on Buffett.

bachrocks 03-09-2014 11:38 PM

The book that inspired me to request this kind of thread was "This is your brain on music" by Daniel Levitin. I just started it, and man, is it incredible.

The first fact that really struck a chord was that pitch is represented directly in the brain, in contrast to most other musical qualities. By placing electrodes in the brain, we can know what pitches someone is hearing. Cool!

Now, of course, I have to ask: what kind of cables are best to connect these electrodes to a pre-amp?

Really, though, there is so much profound information in the book that I feel my whole understanding of music is about to change.

Antonmb 03-10-2014 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bachrocks (Post 588257)
The book that inspired me to request this kind of thread was "This is your brain on music" by Daniel Levitin. I just started it, and man, is it incredible. The first fact that really struck a chord was that pitch is represented directly in the brain, in contrast to most other musical qualities. By placing electrodes in the brain, we can know what pitches someone is hearing. Cool! Now, of course, I have to ask: what kind of cables are best to connect these electrodes to a pre-amp? Really, though, there is so much profound information in the book that I feel my whole understanding of music is about to change.

+1. This is a great book, my wife gave it to me for Christmas last year and I found it fascinating.

Yamaki 03-10-2014 08:24 AM

I read a lot of contracts, technical specifications and financial documents.

By the end of the work day, I have no interest in reading for fun anymore and just turn on the music. :music:

bachrocks 03-10-2014 09:04 AM

Yamaki,

That's one of the reasons I'd like such a section. I used to read lots of books as a history major in college and then for years afterward, but I now see that I have not been reading books very much at all these past 10 years (I'm 50).

So I thought one book that I would really love to read now is about music and hearing. I think I will read it slowly and post impressions of some of the phenomena they describe. In this way, I can (1) read a book, (2) process the information more fully by writing about it, and (3) share my new-found knowledge with fellow AAers.

Enjoy the music.:music:

AudioNut 03-10-2014 09:14 AM

I'm too old to read "serious" stuff; but I read at least two "fun" novels a week via the Kindle program on my iPad.

Sent from AudioNut's iPad

antipop 03-10-2014 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioNut (Post 588351)
I'm too old to read "serious" stuff; but I read at least two "fun" novels a week via the Kindle program on my iPad.

Sent from AudioNut's iPad

Julian, I bought a Kindle and I love it.

It's lighter than an iPad and it doesn't have the distraction (knowing that my mail is a finger away, and receiving the notification would make me less focus).