AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Esoteric Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   Esoteric X models and Mac OS (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=39088)

2fastdriving 04-13-2017 12:48 PM

Esoteric X models and Mac OS

Does anyone here use the latest Mac OS with Esoteric x models in async mode?

There is a problem on the Non-X models using Mac OS newer than Mavericks with async mode. Because I feel the async mode sounds best, I have kept my Mac OS at mavericks for years.

I am wondering if I'll run into similar problems or not with K-01X. I know it's got a different USB interface, so hopefully this will fix my issue, not make it worse. :scratch2:

2fastdriving 04-13-2017 12:50 PM

http://www.esoteric.jp/products/esot..._driver_e.html

I see that there is no mac driver needed for X models, but there was for non-X, so hopefully it will just work in async mode.

rns 04-13-2017 03:52 PM

I believe that's right and should work without issue on the latest OS, but hopefully someone can chime in with their personal confirmation. Congrats on a smart K-01x purchase.

2fastdriving 04-17-2017 10:40 PM

Bump. Anyone with a K-01x or k-03x that can answer the question from personal experience?

2fastdriving 04-17-2017 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rns (Post 841676)
I believe that's right and should work without issue on the latest OS, but hopefully someone can chime in with their personal confirmation. Congrats on a smart K-01x purchase.

Thank you! I'm hoping to be able to finally upgrade my Mac OS too.

Masterlu 04-17-2017 10:46 PM

Marc... although I don't use the Mac OS myself, lot's of folks do. I sell a Ton of K-01X players and never heard of a single issue using the latest Mac OS with Esoteric x models in async mode.

Counting down the days! :banana:

2fastdriving 04-17-2017 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 842465)
Marc... although I don't use the Mac OS myself, lot's of folks do. I sell a Ton of K-01X players and never heard of a single issue using the latest Mac OS with Esoteric x models in async mode.

Counting down the days! :banana:

I'm getting excited!!

SCAudiophile 04-18-2017 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fastdriving (Post 841653)
Does anyone here use the latest Mac OS with Esoteric x models in async mode?

There is a problem on the Non-X models using Mac OS newer than Mavericks with async mode. Because I feel the async mode sounds best, I have kept my Mac OS at mavericks for years.

I am wondering if I'll run into similar problems or not with K-01X. I know it's got a different USB interface, so hopefully this will fix my issue, not make it worse. :scratch2:

The driver works fine for me on MacOSX all the way up to the latest MacOSX releases well beyond El Capitan.

Also,...only way to leverage the async driver's full capabilities I have found is with Esoteric's HR Player. (Make sure you set the DAC input to the full async option...).

2fastdriving 04-18-2017 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCAudiophile (Post 842485)
The driver works fine for me on MacOSX all the way up to the latest MacOSX releases well beyond El Capitan.

Also,...only way to leverage the async driver's full capabilities I have found is with Esoteric's HR Player. (Make sure you set the DAC input to the full async option...).

Thanks, but the K-01x doesn't use a driver with MacOS. I'm a little confused.

As for the player, I own both Audirvana and JRiver. I will try the Esoteric one as well and see if I can hear a difference.

I'm pretty sure all will be fine here, like Ivan says, but I wish someone with my exact same setup would chime in (Mac latest OS without driver -> async setting -> k-01/03x). I'm sure it's pretty common.

Levitator 04-18-2017 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCAudiophile (Post 842485)

Hi SC - I'm still getting familiar with my K-01X and all its settings...interested to hear what you have connected to the AES connection as it doesn't seem to be all that common and none of my components have this connection, and also what IC you are using.

Thanks!