AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Martin Logan (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Speaker suggestions? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=13259)

Olskool 03-30-2012 05:16 PM

Speaker suggestions?

Hi guys I'm looking for some of that good Audio Aficionado advice and input you provide so well. I am beginning to get ready for speaker investments and have incorporated system hardware upgrades and tweaks. Speakers are the final destination before allowing my wallet and budget to cool down a bit since they have both been smoking of late. Man this is one expensive hobby we have here! My system is ARC based with a VS-115 Amp and LS-27 Pre, NAD M5 CD transport, Project 6 PerspeX turntable - Sumiko Blackbird MC, M2Tec Evo DAC, Nordost Power cords and Interconnects, and currently Definitive 400 Towers featuring powered subs (previously of my surround sound for TV). My listening environment is difficult to describe but I will try: it is 13' wide X 17' deep, carpeted and is 15' tall before expanding to a marble floor open foyer that is 20 ' tall and another 18' behind the chairs of my listening spot and I haver not measured the additional width that opens (the back of the listening area opens up to a cavern essentially). Amazingly I get great audio in the listening area without a lot of whump and boom. I know at some point an investment in treatments and sound analysis will pay handsome dividends though.

I like smooth and traditional Jazz, R & B and Olskool Pop (vinyl mostly - but the DAC has opened my eyes to the possibility of digital performance audio.) And now for the worst part. My budget can only stand to spend in the $3,000 to $3,500 range for speakers - I am willing to cut back on a few non essentials like food and auto fuel to reach for the higher end on the speakers but after that doom and gloom ; - 0. I am partial to good clean bass, and midrange but hate hearing hard edges on the high end. The Def Tec's have spoiled me with powered subs, although some days it is difficult to manage the base so the sound is clean, and not forced but throaty. I have auditioned the new Golden Ear Tritons (and really like them) but keep seeing the Martin Logan's and Maggies showing up (I don't think I can reach the Maggies but you might have some suggestions for me). Before plunking down I would really like to check it out thoroughly because my choice is going to have to last a while. I'm copying essentially this same message to the Wilson and B & W crowd too. Can't wait to see what you all have to say. Thanks.

Larry

Mikado463 03-30-2012 05:22 PM

Larry, having owned Maggies in the past and Logans presently I love 'em both ! Given your $$ range you could easily get into a used pair of Vantage's possibly Spire's but I doubt it. Your amp can easily drive the hybrid Martin Logan design, might be more of a challenge against the Maggies though.

tsv_1 03-30-2012 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikado463 (Post 290126)
Larry, having owned Maggies in the past and Logans presently I love 'em both ! Given your $$ range you could easily get into a used pair of Vantage's possibly Spire's but I doubt it. Your amp can easily drive the hybrid Martin Logan design, might be more of a challenge against the Maggies though.

+1 on ML_Spires if you can find them in (or near ;)) your budget.

cmalak 03-30-2012 06:50 PM

Larry...ARC and Maggies make for a great combo. You can search Agon and other audio forums but that pairing is well known to complement one another (read any of Jonathan Valin's reviews of either ARC or Magnepan gear). In any case, I would recommend the Magnepan 1.7s ($2K retail) with your VS-115s and if you need more bass, you can supplement with a subwoofer.

Outside of Martin Logan and Magnepan speakers, the other well known combination with ARC are Vandersteen speakers. In your budget new, the Vandersteen 3a Signatures should work. You could probably get a used Vandersteen Quatro in your price range as well.

LordoftheRingsEE 03-30-2012 06:53 PM

The best pair of loudspeakers is the one that you are going to pick according to your listening sessions, in your own room. :)

Nobody else can pick them for you.

Mikado463 03-30-2012 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chessman (Post 290146)
they do not get much love here, but I have always had a thing for Reference 3A monitors.

???....... isn't this secton about Maggie's and Logan's......how can you expect a panel guy to 'love a box' !! ........:icon_thumbsdown:

chessman 03-30-2012 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikado463 (Post 290218)
???....... isn't this secton about Maggie's and Logan's......how can you expect a panel guy to 'love a box' !! ........:icon_thumbsdown:

My bad. I didn't notice the forum title and he mentioned Wilsons. Sorry.

Mikado463 03-30-2012 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chessman (Post 290221)
My bad. I didn't notice the forum title and he mentioned Wilsons. Sorry.

Chess........I was only busting your stones a wee bit !! ....:D

chessman 03-30-2012 09:03 PM

Dave, no worries. I have been to break a few myself. :D

Ritmo 03-31-2012 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmalak (Post 290169)
Larry...ARC and Maggies make for a great combo. You can search Agon and other audio forums but that pairing is well known to complement one another (read any of Jonathan Valin's reviews of either ARC or Magnepan gear). In any case, I would recommend the Magnepan 1.7s ($2K retail) with your VS-115s and if you need more bass, you can supplement with a subwoofer.

Outside of Martin Logan and Magnepan speakers, the other well known combination with ARC are Vandersteen speakers. In your budget new, the Vandersteen 3a Signatures should work. You could probably get a used Vandersteen Quatro in your price range as well.

Cyril,

Great recommendations! :yes:

Mike