AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Shooting Sports (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Another Ruger... (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=38105)

Yamaki 12-25-2016 02:34 PM

Another Ruger...

So I did a little self-gifting this year. My wife won't purchase firearms for me so I have to do it all by myself.

This year's addition to the armory consists of a Ruger Mark IV Target model with a 5.5" bull barrel. Chambered in .22LR, Ruger has been making the Mark series of pistols since 1949 and this one pistol basically launched the company.

I've owned a Mark III and it was a fine shooter with a few tweaks. The only complaint I had about it, and this is common across the line through the Mark III model, was the take down and reassembly process. I'm sure hundreds of Mark I, II & III owners found they could not reassemble their pistol and they ended up in boxes to be sold or reassembled by a gunsmith. Many of those owners had a love/hate relationship with the Mark.

Ruger introduced the Mark IV this year and for us Mark owners, it was a revelation! They look the same as previous Marks, they shoot the same and the quality is excellent. However, Ruger redesigned the internal bolt assembly, the upper & lower frames were separated and, now, pushing one button breaks open the weapon - much like the venerable AR design - making break down, cleaning and reassembly a simple and efficient task.

Can't wait to get to the indoor range this week to sight it in!

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...pstdfhprl4.jpg

Masterlu 12-25-2016 04:56 PM

Love my Rugers, all six of them.

Soundmig 12-26-2016 01:57 AM

Have a Mark III. Shoots great, but is a bear to get back together. Luckily my 21 year old son seems to be able to do it. Otherwise I would have to learn, and I'm too old to learn such new tricks!

mtroo 12-26-2016 07:26 AM

I wonder if 22LR will now be a little easier to come by?

Mikado463 12-26-2016 11:13 AM

nice looking piece Michael, glad to hear they are easier to break down , clean and reassemble.

Yamaki 12-26-2016 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 822157)
Love my Rugers, all six of them.

Ivan...I have 4 Rugers and enjoy them all. They are great value for the money.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundmig (Post 822235)
Have a Mark III. Shoots great, but is a bear to get back together. Luckily my 21 year old son seems to be able to do it. Otherwise I would have to learn, and I'm too old to learn such new tricks!

I had a Mk III and loved shooting it. Putting it back together was a real chore and it was my motivation for getting the Mk IV.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtroo (Post 822247)
I wonder if 22LR will now be a little easier to come by?

Not at the rate I shoot it, Tim! :D It's been kind of hit and miss here with the local stores. Most web based sellers show most of the .22LR I prefer purchasing as out of stock. I hope it becomes more plentiful in both markets.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikado463 (Post 822266)
nice looking piece Michael, glad to hear they are easier to break down , clean and reassemble.

Thanks, Dave! I broke it down for the first time the other night, cleaned and lubed it for the first time. It came apart and went back together with ease.

matt_zak 12-26-2016 02:31 PM

Beautiful gun. .22LR pistols are so much fun for plinking. Hopefully the ammo become more available over the next year. I remember as a kid .22LR was a dime a dozen. We would shoot all day long and think nothing of it.

walt m 12-27-2016 06:39 PM

I have two of these.
They are a great gun for the first time shooter.

Formerly YB-2 12-30-2016 08:11 AM

Still shooting my Ruger MkII 678 Govt. Works as good as new. Reassembly can be a PITA, but just something one needs to learn. Only drawback is the Euro-style mag release. The MkIII/IV button is much handier. My bedside SP101 is also a terrific pistol. Wish Ruger would return the .327Mag to production. Pretty much the perfect carry round. Not too small, not too large. They are selling for 2x, and more, on the used market.

Yamaki 12-30-2016 08:56 PM

After breaking down, inspecting and lubing the new Ruger MK IV I took it to the indoor range this week. I threw a mish mash of different .22LR loads into an ammo can and took along a sufficient supply of Federal Automatch 40 grain as this is my preferred ammunition that I use regularly with all my .22 firearms.

I loaded up some magazines with the mish mash supply and proceeded to fire the weapon. My intent was to test functionality utilizing varied loads. I experienced no failure to load, failure to fire and failure to eject issues whatsoever over the span of 100 rounds of mixed quality and bullet weight.

Ergonomically, the MK IV fits my hand very nicely. The plastic grips are finely checked, much like the G10 grip panels I install on my other semi-automatic handguns. All controls are easily manipulated without having to move the handgun around so you can see them. I noted that Ruger has enlarged the bolt ear relief cut at the back of the receiver which allows for a firmer grip on the bolt ears to charge the weapon or to pull back the bolt to clear it.

After I got the MK IV hot and dirty, I switched over to the Federal ammunition and got out the sand bags. It was time to test bullet placement and accuracy from a rest with a consistent load. After the first five rounds it was obvious that the impact point was low and to the left. Over the next five rounds I was able to adjust the elevation to where the impact point was spot on.

Then I attempted to adjust the rear sight for windage to move the impact point to the right. Here is where we had a failure that not only aggravated me but puzzled me as well. The adjustment screw for windage only turned one way and that direction would move the point of impact further left. I’ve never had an adjustable sight on any weapon that didn’t move both ways. I suspect there’s a problem.

That was the end of the testing for now until such time as Ruger returns my call regarding the windage adjustment issue.

I do have to say, even though the windage adjustment issue is yet to be resolved, that my first impressions of this firearm are that it is a well made, competent and accurate firearm that I will enjoy for many years to come.