AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Marantz (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Marantz SA 10 vs SA11S3 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=42251)

rnrmf1971 06-23-2019 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSOphile (Post 969797)
No dealers that carry Marantz Ref gear anywhere near here, and almost nothing on the SA-10 seen on various forums a year or two ago, else I very well might have bought the Marantz unit over the more expensive Esoteric K-03X. SA-10 technology/build quality is impressive. I play mostly classical, so MQA not a big deal for me (e.g., more inclined toward Qobuz than Tidal).

I decided to try it based on the handful of reviews I read and the Marantz aesthetic of champagne color components.
I got the matching PM-10 integrated and I don't have any regrets in the few months I've been using them.

There are a lot of reviews on the Marantz UK site:
https://www.marantz.co.uk/uk/product...productid=sa10

Mac6 07-11-2019 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac6 (Post 969484)
Getting the SA-KI Ruby disc player delivered today. Should be interesting....looking forward to it.

I've put around 100 hours on the SA-KI Ruby SACD player. This player sounds fantastic. I have a McIntosh MVP871 also hooked up and have done a few A/B tests. The Marantz sounds at least as good, probably a bit better (richer) than the McIntosh. Very enjoyable.

The McIntosh won't read all my SACDs anymore so I bought the Marantz (One expensive repair was enough, I was not going to do it again with the MVP 871).

Formerly YB-2 07-11-2019 08:36 PM

Yes............. the MVP871 is pretty long in the tooth. Too bad the Ruby does not have XLR outs.

Mac6 07-12-2019 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 972553)
Yes............. the MVP871 is pretty long in the tooth. Too bad the Ruby does not have XLR outs.

I have Kimber XLR connections on the McIntosh. I did A/B tests with RCAs a few years ago. No difference.

GSOphile 07-12-2019 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac6 (Post 972636)
I have Kimber XLR connections on the McIntosh. I did A/B tests with RCAs a few years ago. No difference.

Much depends on the brand/model/implementation - not just the connector. On components with a fully balanced implementation rather than just a balanced to single ended conversion for processing, there may be a significant difference in SQ.

Juanra74 08-04-2019 06:23 AM

Hi guys! just arrived here :)

I'm looking for SACD/CD player for, at least, a decade. I have a big doubt between the Ruby and the SA10 (even I'm thinking about the dark side, ESOTERIC... sorry).
But, talking about the Marantz, is any big difference between both? I only could test the Ruby with Copland tube amp and a pair of Klipsch Forte III and it was amazing. I wonder if the SA10 is worth double the price (or the esoteric...)

Kind regards, have a nice summer!

rnrmf1971 08-05-2019 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juanra74 (Post 974948)
Hi guys! just arrived here :)

I'm looking for SACD/CD player for, at least, a decade. I have a big doubt between the Ruby and the SA10 (even I'm thinking about the dark side, ESOTERIC... sorry).
But, talking about the Marantz, is any big difference between both? I only could test the Ruby with Copland tube amp and a pair of Klipsch Forte III and it was amazing. I wonder if the SA10 is worth double the price (or the esoteric...)

Kind regards, have a nice summer!

Tough question; I think I've read that the Ruby is much of the SA10 but without the balanced circuitry.
Although I had (still have) my SA10 and Esoteric K-01x at different times and in different systems, I might suggest that the Marantz offers as good or better performance versus similar costing Esoteric units. There are too many variables to be sure about that and I've never heard the Esoteric players in that range, let alone their recently updated players, though. They're both undoubtedly quality components, as far as I'm concerned.
But given that you like the Ruby, ask yourself if you could be happy with it. If it ticks all the boxes for you, it would seem like a good value. Otherwise, seek out the SA10 or an Esoteric player to see how they move you.

Masterlu 08-05-2019 09:48 AM

Juanra74... Welcome to AA! :wave:

Formerly YB-2 08-05-2019 08:44 PM

The two Ruby pieces were Ken's last 'statement' pieces for Marantz before they give him the 'retirement' boot.

Juanra74 08-31-2019 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rnrmf1971 (Post 975084)
Tough question; I think I've read that the Ruby is much of the SA10 but without the balanced circuitry.
Although I had (still have) my SA10 and Esoteric K-01x at different times and in different systems, I might suggest that the Marantz offers as good or better performance versus similar costing Esoteric units. There are too many variables to be sure about that and I've never heard the Esoteric players in that range, let alone their recently updated players, though. They're both undoubtedly quality components, as far as I'm concerned.
But given that you like the Ruby, ask yourself if you could be happy with it. If it ticks all the boxes for you, it would seem like a good value. Otherwise, seek out the SA10 or an Esoteric player to see how they move you.

Thanks! I'm going to try the Esoteric 05xs next week... :)