AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Turntables & Tonearms (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Do you use a record or stylus preservative? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=42656)

The Lost Bears 04-06-2018 08:59 PM

Do you use a record or stylus preservative?

I clean both my records and stylus. But so far I have not used any type of presevative. Lately though I have been wondering about products like Last and GruvGlide. Am I missing anything not using them? Do you use a record or stylus preservative and if so, does it make a big difference?

Mikado463 04-06-2018 09:09 PM

I've used LAST for so long now I can't honestly say if it 'still' makes a difference since I've not compared it to anything untreated.

I do remember some comments awhile back about the use of their stylus treatment and concerns with certain stylus / cantilever combinations whereby it would wick up the cantilever and cause issues. Maybe it was a breakdown issue with the stylus and the cantilever itself ?

The Trace 04-06-2018 09:44 PM

I use a Zero Dust and Last stylus cleaner. I also use an Audiodesk to clean records and then follow with Groovelube.
There is a definite improvement with the Groovelube but you must follow the procedure to avoid build-up on the stylus. This is the Groovelube product made by George Merrill, NOT the product in an aerosol can. Recommended!!!

The Lost Bears 04-07-2018 12:03 AM

I have a VPI 17 record cleaning machine. I also use ZeroDust and ClearAudio stylus cleaner. I watched the Youtube video from GruvGlide which is what made me curious.

gadawg 04-07-2018 01:06 AM

I use GruvGlide in very small quantities on records that have an excess of noise and it seems to help a tiny bit. If you use more than a very tiny bit you will get a lot of build up on the stylus really quick so be careful! LOL

George

vegaracer1 04-07-2018 02:21 AM

I have been using gruv glide with positive results.

Antonmb 04-07-2018 10:02 AM

I’ve been using Last record preservative after initial cleaning on albums for more years than I can remember. I’ve compared sound before and after application and frankly can’t hear a difference, but old, well-played albums still sound fine. Bottom line, it’s doing no harm and may be doing some good, so I keep using it.

mraudio 04-10-2018 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonmb (Post 909998)
I’ve been using Last record preservative after initial cleaning on albums for more years than I can remember. I’ve compared sound before and after application and frankly can’t hear a difference, but old, well-played albums still sound fine. Bottom line, it’s doing no harm and may be doing some good, so I keep using it.

+1.....I was one of the first dealers to sell LAST at the retail level. I have used the record preservative (#2) and Stylast (#5) since day 1.

I have never let a LP touch any of my tables without a thorough vacuum cleaning and then a treatment of LAST #2.

To requote from above:

"Bottom line, it’s doing no harm and may be doing some good, so I keep using it."

DonBattles 04-10-2018 01:47 AM

I was turned onto LAST by a local vinyl junky and have not tried anything else.

The Lost Bears 04-10-2018 10:56 AM

I believe my Benz cartridge has a bonded stylus. Should there be any concern about this when using Last? I know that you should not use liquid stylus cleaners on a bonded stylus.