AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   PS Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   PS Audio Bascom H King Signature 250 stereo and Signature 300 mono block power amps (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=31595)

doggiehowser 05-15-2015 10:54 PM

PS Audio Bascom H King Signature 250 stereo and Signature 300 mono block power amps

Surprised there isn't already a thread for this :)

I know someone paid a visit to PS Audio not too long ago and heard an early prototype.

But thing seem to have come a long way since the original design.

Arnie Nudell - of Infinity and Genesis speakers - had a hand in helping shape the sound, getting Paul McGowan to put tubes in them and he's on record saying he's finally getting rid of his tube power amps for these ;)

BHK's previous efforts include a 50k and a 140k pair of mono blocks so this is his first budget system but one he is proud to put his name on.

I was just watching some of the videos for the launch and a 5 part interview of Bascom King and I have to say, hearing these pioneers speak - sent goosebumps :) I love how they talk about the emotional quality of music and how measurements sometimes can't convey the experience. In the light of King's other work running a measurement lab for magazine reviews, I thought it was quite funny - but nevertheless true.

I am not sure if I should post the links to the videos but they are all on youtube if you are interested.

audio bill 05-16-2015 07:51 AM

The claims about the sonic performance of these amps are astounding! They state that it outperforms Bascom's Constellation amp designs (which sell for many multiples of its $7,500 price) and that it is absolutely one of the best sounding amps in the world. The beta testing is currently underway with user comments being posted over at the PS Audio forums. The stereo version of the amp is currently being demoed in Munich and the mono amps will be at the upcoming Newport show. Interesting times indeed!

John49 05-16-2015 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audio bill (Post 700057)
The claims about the sonic performance of these amps are astounding! They state that it outperforms Bascom's Constellation amp designs (which sell for many multiples of its $7,500 price) and that it is absolutely one of the best sounding amps in the world. The beta testing is currently underway with user comments being posted over at the PS Audio forums. The stereo version of the amp is currently being demoed in Munich and the mono amps will be at the upcoming Newport show. Interesting times indeed!

Next thing you know, PS Audio will be selling a turntable...

doggiehowser 05-16-2015 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audio bill (Post 700057)

I think those amps are pure solid state while the PS Audio is a hybrid tube system so I'd imagine the tubes do change how the amp would sound. Paul wasn't convinced at first and wanted to ship the amps with a solid state input stage that you could swap for the tubes but the listening tests put that idea to bed.

Also bear in mind, the 50 and 150k BSK amps had much more power and the higher tolerance components would have cost a lot more.

jgriffi540 05-16-2015 08:41 PM

I'll be beta testing the monoblocks...plan to A/B them against my Audio Research Reference 610t's. Supposed to ship this week. If you guys are interested I'll keep this thread posted as to the sound...and post some pics 😄

audio bill 05-16-2015 08:55 PM

jgriffi540 - Yes by all means, it would be appreciated if you would share your experience with the amps here once you receive them. Should be an interesting comparison with your excellent ARC amps - TIA!

doggiehowser 05-16-2015 11:02 PM

Cool, JGriffi540

I'd love to hear how they sound.

If I can offload my Plinius SA-Reference, I might spring the BSK and compare them against my Electrocompaniet Nemos

Hifisand 05-17-2015 11:37 PM

I am also a beta tester for the BHK. I went to the RMAF last year to listen to the prototype. I met Paul, Bascom and Arnie. I had almost bought Arnie's ARC 600 Mono's that were on Audiogon. He said they were cherry. They looked it from the pics. The prototype BHK sounded pretty good, but I had never heard the Infinity Beta speakers they were using. Paul found a brand new unopened pair in a friend's storage room. Arnie said they were the best he ever made.

I received my BHK 250 last week and one channel did not work. PSA worked with me to get it working, but I had to send it back. Not sure the other channel was working totally correct, but it sounded very very promising on my Maggie 20.7's. They are using 20.7's in Munich, but the room is not good from paul's report in his daily Post's.

I switched to the Mono beta test and Scott at PSA said, if Bascom's test this past week go OK, they hoped to start shipping Mono's late this coming week. Maybe Wed or Thu.

I will be comparing them to an ARC D-150 from the 70's, but just rebuilt by ARC, an ARC D-250 from the 80's, I bought instead of Arnie's 600's, and a Bryston 4Bsst? a friend is bringing. Arnie said the BHK would blow them away as it did his 600's. That's why he sold them. And now Paul has reported in his first listen to the Mono's that they are twice+ better than the stereo BHK and the stereo is better than most everything out there.
Remember the videos are marketing, but the marketing of the DirectStream DAC proved true, and I think this will be true also.

Anyway get ready for some exciting times in the next months. PSA considers the BHK a $120,000 class amp. Based on my one channel BHK listening, it could be true.

Be back in a couple of weeks I hope.

2fastdriving 05-18-2015 12:53 AM

Not a fan, after they brought partially working prototypes to RMAF. I watched the amps trip every time they went above 80db, which isn't very loud. If you're going to bring arnie and betas, at least bring a decent amp.

Terrible experience in their room.

Hifisand 05-18-2015 07:52 PM

2fastdriving,
I owned 3 SS's myself 65,94,2001. Somehow managed not to kill myself.
Yes is was disappointing to come to RMAF for amps with problems even prototypes. Someone said they were better later but I left early Sunday.

The BHK 250 I received I was not sure working channel was right, cause it would kick off about 90dB. Evidently the protection circuits must be set carefully. Hope it gets better.