AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   McIntosh Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Beast the MC602 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=26572)

Markd51 05-04-2014 06:03 PM

The Beast the MC602

Hello all,
There's a local owner-seller of what appears to be a mint condition, very lightly used MC602 Amp in my local area.

By light use, his claims are 20-30 hours of useage. Appears he had a good number of these throughout his domicile, and perhaps like a "Ivan" sort of fellow, perhaps only wishes to move forward, or maybe in some different direction with his toys, and hobbies?

Asking price? A seemingly high $6880.

Yes, I did a little research here, I understand what this Amp's MSRP was at the time, and when it was manufactured from 2003-2007. And I seem to gather while this amp was stated to be very neutral, and as well powerful (like the old MC2600) I also gather that the voicing is-was a bit different from more modern Mac SS offerings like the MC-452, or MC601.

Was this more like a MC352 on steroids, and if it may be asked here, what would be a buyable fair price?

If such may not be answered publicly here, then hopefully some of you could shoot me a PM on this without any forum infractions being incurred.

PS: I did shoot the seller a PM, and perhaps if anything, maybe I could at least witness such a beast in the flesh, and meet an new acquaintance?

Thanks all! Mark

jdandy 05-04-2014 06:24 PM

Mark.......Discussing used amplifier prices is not against the forum rules. Hopefully someone with some experience with the MC602 brute will offer some useful information. I saw where an MC602 with LED upgrade sold on Audiogon for $5300.00. Considering, at the least, the MC602 is only seven years old, $1120 under full retail when it was new seems inflated. It's condition is important but most McIntosh owners take good care of their gear so good condition is not necessarily an exception that will justify that price. The claim of low hours is completely unverifiable so I would not put any stock in that claim.

When the MC602 was brand new its retail was $8000.00. If a good customer managed to get a 15% discount from his dealer, the amp would have been originally purchased for $6800.00. I'm thinking a fair offer would be $5200.00 tops.

BTW, without becoming a Subscriber to Audio Aficionado, private messaging is not available with basic membership. If you would like to become a Subscriber and help support this great audio forum, follow this link.

http://www.audioaficionado.org/payments.php

Volks 05-04-2014 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markd51 (Post 604107)
Hello all,
There's a local owner-seller of what appears to be a mint condition, very lightly used MC602 Amp in my local area.

By light use, his claims are 20-30 hours of useage. Appears he had a good number of these throughout his domicile, and perhaps like a "Ivan" sort of fellow, perhaps only wishes to move forward, or maybe in some different direction with his toys, and hobbies?

Asking price? A seemingly high $6880.

Yes, I did a little research here, I understand what this Amp's MSRP was at the time, and when it was manufactured from 2003-2007. And I seem to gather while this amp was stated to be very neutral, and as well powerful (like the old MC2600) I also gather that the voicing is-was a bit different from more modern Mac SS offerings like the MC-452, or MC601.

Was this more like a MC352 on steroids, and if it may be asked here, what would be a buyable fair price?

If such may not be answered publicly here, then hopefully some of you could shoot me a PM on this without any forum infractions being incurred.

PS: I did shoot the seller a PM, and perhaps if anything, maybe I could at least witness such a beast in the flesh, and meet an new acquaintance?

Thanks all! Mark

Mark $6880 does seem to be on the high side for the MC602, but of course the seller is saying its "Barely Used".......still it is an older amp 2003-2007............there is a MC602 on the AG for $4499 ........as far as sound goes the MC602 has a somewhat darker/laidback sound then the new MC601's or MC452........thats not to say its not still a good amp, but i just think the MC602 is more of the "Old Mcintosh" sound .....very warm/laidback and slower then the new Mcintosh Amps.

GaryProtein 05-04-2014 06:52 PM

You WON'T find my MC602's on the market at any price.

I love them.

The MC602 is very different in sound and construction from the older MC2600. It is also quad balanced like the newer McIntosh MC601 amps.

Markd51 05-04-2014 06:55 PM

Speakers in the house right now, are a mint pair of JBL 4430 Studio Monitors, which is almost like saying I have a pair of KlipschHorns, and want to power them with a MC602.

Yes, tremendous overkill perhaps.

But, with 600 plus watts on tap, I'm sure the 602 could power virtually any inefficient speaker on earth, whether Planars, Logans, Wilson Grand Slamms, B&W Diamond Jubilees, etc.

It seems this is his very last MC602 to go. Perhaps as a local interest, and being in "the right place at the right time", I might get a fair accommodation-consideration?

Not a good time though, my 82 year old mother, who lives with me, has been extremely ill the past week. And I surely don't wish to add any nails to her coffin right now with worries of me buying a multi-thousand dollar "toy", and pissing hard acquired monies down the toilet.
Mark

GaryProtein 05-04-2014 07:08 PM

If you want an MC602, BUY IT.

They rarely show up on the market.

People who have them, keep them.

Keep the purchase a secret. You know, "you always had it in your inventory but just didn't set it up."

Masterlu 05-04-2014 07:18 PM

I'm even sitting on a MC602, bought a few right before they discontinued them. None for sale though ;)

Yamaki 05-04-2014 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 604127)
I'm even sitting on a MC602, bought a few right before they discontinued them. None for sale though ;)

It that isn't a testimony to the value of a 602 I don't know what is. :thumbsup:

Masterlu 05-04-2014 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yamaki (Post 604143)
It that isn't a testimony to the value of a 602 I don't know what is. :thumbsup:

I even installed my new style custom handles on the 602 and put it back in storage.

Vintage Pete 05-04-2014 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 604145)
I even installed my new style custom handles on the 602 and put it back in storage.

MasterLu the Master Hoarder! :D