AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Shindo Laboratory (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Understanding Shindo (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=26673)

campoli 05-27-2014 01:29 PM

truefi.blogspot.de/

Jerome W 05-27-2014 04:43 PM

Quote:

ruefi.blogspot.de/
Very nice to see an other Verdier next to a Shindo preamp.

kev313 05-27-2014 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerome W (Post 610180)
Very nice to see an other Verdier next to a Shindo preamp.

A classic combination for sure.

mr. scratchy 05-29-2014 09:49 AM

What would be my best options for a Shindo power amp for my Tannoy DMT 15 IIs?

I've read a lot of conflicting info on mating Shindo with modern Tannoys. Jonathan H. has stated that the heavy mass of modern Tannoy drivers is not an ideal match with Shindo. However, there seems to be quite a few Shindo/Tannoy owners are happy with even the lower power Shindos. I really like my Tannoys and I'm not ready to switch to another speaker.

The Tannoy DMT 15 II nominal impedance is 8 ohm, and sensitivity is either 95 db or 98 db depending on what source to believe.

See below link for impedance curve.

tannoy

I don't listen at loud levels. I'm currently using a Bryston 4B SST which I really like (and will keep for my studio work) but I want a really want Shindo amp to use with my Aurieges.

thanks in advance for any advice,
Bill

Vinyljh 05-29-2014 12:06 PM

Hi Bill, I think we're getting off topic for this sticky… I've no experience myself with the DMT15II, however, quoted right from Tannoy's own product brochure: "Recommended amplifier power: 50 to 400 w rms into 8 Ω" Jonathan

PS- trying to read that low rez graph is not easy, it appears the DMT15II is a rather low impedance speakers averaging 4.5-5ohms. Much too low for Shindo's design center.

mr. scratchy 05-29-2014 12:35 PM

Sorry- it is O/T but can't start a new thread yet...

So, looks like the Corton Charlemange Q or 80 would be the *ideal* Shindo amps to get 50W into an 8 ohm load.

-Bill

mr. scratchy 05-29-2014 12:52 PM

As I read the blue line on the graph the lowest impedance is 7 ohm with two large peaks; one at 50ohm at 2 Khz and one at around 18 ohm at 50hz.

lowens 05-29-2014 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NOLG4EVR (Post 606473)
My room is less than optimal but recently have made some speaker placement adjustments.
It made much more than a subtle difference. In fact a very big improvement. Almost like an equipment upgrade. I get it!
Will follow this thread with interest. Thanks Jonathan.

Agreed, speaker placement is a real key, as is everything else in the room. My livingroom has too much echo due to uncarpeted hardwood and a large windows. I somehow need to soften it down but don't want to spend big money to do so.

Very nice system by the way.

KenSea 05-29-2014 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinyljh (Post 610591)
Hi Bill, I think we're getting off topic for this sticky… I've no experience myself with the DMT15II, however, quoted right from Tannoy's own product brochure: "Recommended amplifier power: 50 to 400 w rms into 8 Ω" Jonathan

PS- trying to read that low rez graph is not easy, it appears the DMT15II is a rather low impedance speakers averaging 4.5-5ohms. Much too low for Shindo's design center.

I agree with Jonathan , it would be nice to leave this thread for an area so that Jonathan and Matt could use to give us more information to work with and not a general post area. Maybe even a retail price listing would be very helpful.

AshNZ 11-01-2014 11:07 AM

I had to cobble a 2 channel kit together (from scratch) before I left the US, so I had no time to listen to Shindo gear. I demo'd Line Magnetic amps and immediately liked the 218 IA SET (the other LM gear didn't do it for me) and bought it.

I love the SET sound of the LM!

Will I be a likely Shindo candidate in the future?