AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Revel Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=172)
-   -   New colors and price increase for Revel Ultima2’s (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=42000)

Karl Maga 01-26-2018 01:16 AM

New colors and price increase for Revel Ultima2’s

I read that Revel will be offering new finish choices in the Ultima2 and Performa3 lines. Among the colors are Midnight Black Metallic and Walnut.

The author is a known, authorized Harman dealer. He mentions a $5,000 price increase on a pair of Salon2’s. Yoiks! :eek2:

Pampero 01-26-2018 11:52 AM

Still a bargain compared to much of the competition, but they'll need to do more than add a walnut finish and some new paint to gain fresh ink in the audio press. Still the most satisfying and easy to listen to speakers I have ever owned. They are as near perfect a window into the music as you can buy almost a decade after their introduction. The only meaningful knock I can think of is their sensitivity, which I wish was a few dB better, but if nothing else the tradeoff of efficiency for extension means you are presented with the need for a man's amplifier to drive them, and who doesn't crave some extra power from time to time?

Bar81 01-26-2018 12:50 PM

They've been at the same price forever. I don't see the price hike as unreasonable after all these years. Nice speakers but couldn't get over the ugly.

Mikado463 01-26-2018 02:57 PM

given the respectable discount offered off msrp they are still a bargain IMO.

Karl Maga 01-26-2018 06:01 PM

I just listened to Wilson Audio Sasha’s with D’Agostino Momentum amp and preamp (gorgeous electronics!) today at a dealer in Ann Arbor, MI, they sounded great! :thumbsup:

I came home and played the same Mozart symphony (41) on my system, it sounds just as delightful to my ears. :D

Mikado463 01-26-2018 06:12 PM

refreshing, good to hear Karl ..... :thumbsup:

oddeophile 01-26-2018 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pampero (Post 895313)
Still a bargain compared to much of the competition, but they'll need to do more than add a walnut finish and some new paint to gain fresh ink in the audio press. Still the most satisfying and easy to listen to speakers I have ever owned. They are as near perfect a window into the music as you can buy almost a decade after their introduction. The only meaningful knock I can think of is their sensitivity, which I wish was a few dB better, but if nothing else the tradeoff of efficiency for extension means you are presented with the need for a man's amplifier to drive them, and who doesn't crave some extra power from time to time?

+1

I adore my Revel’s

Karl Maga 01-26-2018 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pampero (Post 895313)

What you’ve said summarizes things well - they represent exceptional value, don’t receive much ink, and sound superb.

Rex Anderson 01-26-2018 10:50 PM

Introduced in 2007 and still no reason to upgrade anything but the aesthetics. Amazing feat of engineering.

$5K seems like a hefty increase (almost 23%), but, when you look at an inflation calculator, it's reasonable.

What cost $22000 in 2007 would cost $26,714.78 in 2017.

When you look at what you can buy them for used (about 1/2 MSRP), by far the best bargain in high end speakers.

oddeophile 01-28-2018 02:57 PM

Agreed. Way under priced for the incredible performance of these beauties. Oops. I hope Revel
Isn’t reading this. Yikes.