AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   McIntosh Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   MC352 Sounds So Right Now-Followup (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=360)

deafbykhorns 04-18-2009 05:35 PM

MC352 Sounds So Right Now-Followup

I'm going to attempt to express my feelings about the MC352 JDANDY style......

I moved the MC352 into the main listening room today after about 20 hours of break-in time with the Northcreeks. As I mentioned in the previous thread (MC352 doesnt sound right), this amp was mated with the MX119/MVP871/Khorns along with the recommendations of Alberto using the proper lube.:smileysex: Again, Thank you for the reminder since I forgot about my stash of ProGold.
I built my cables this past week for a fully balanced system from the MVP871 to the MX119 and to the MC352 and had them ready to go. The Khorns were standing proud and ready to take the juice as I nearly broke my back installing this beast into the entertainment center. As my wife watched me nearly get a hernia she said "This is what you spent your bonus money on?" I began to hook up the cables with the instructions in front of me. Stand up, make adjustments to placement, double-check my connections. Work on the pre-amp. Double check connections. Dust everything. Arrange cables so they're pretty. Stand up. Getting anxious. Stand back and think "Did I forget anything?" (Balanced switch, bridged switch, red connectors only, pre-amp into left input...) Nothing else. All's ready. I bend over and push the MX119's cute little push button. several green lights. No pops. No hums. Just two big huge blue meters :yes: Turn up volume - a lot. No sound at all. Very good. Volume dial back down to "1".

I first put in Bob James- Ivory Coast, #1 Ashanti. I cautiously push PLAY on the remote and hear the slightest sound. As I slowly turn up the volume to "23" the whole room begins to sparkle. I kept it low until things warmed up. I took my position on the couch exactly 12 feet from the center position. I closed my eyes and it was the most magical thing I've heard in many, many years. As I slowly increased the volume over the next 10 minutes the recording became placed in the room with me. Volume up to "45". Dean's guitar was just a few feet in front of me, the drummer five or six feet behind him. The bass about 5 feet to the right. My eyes started to water. The sound was so clear it was almost breathtaking! The piano so clear I can almost hear the hammers hitting the strings. The drummer's brushes so clear that I can hear how scratchy and roughed-up his snare head is. The bass player's plucking is so clear that I can hear that he needs to trim his fingernails. The whole thing was almost magical. The Khorns were pulling effortlessly on the amp, and the amp just sat there staring at me with their Blue "eyes" as if saying "Is that all you've got? What's the big deal?" I instantly fell madly in love with this amp.

Then the real test. My wife came in with two discs. One is Kenny G and the other is Michael Bolton. "Number one and number six, please" is all she says. I sat her in the sweet spot on the couch, put in Kenny G, and turned the volume to about "25". She closes her eyes and just listens. I can tell by the smile on her face that she's starting to hear what I hear, and liking it. Then I put in Michael Bolton, number six, "When a man loves a woman", and I crank it up to "45". She's not said a word. He's pulling her in. Her toe is tapping. When he modulates the key and the drummer takes his solo licks I look over at her and see tears rolling down her cheeks. That's when I know that she's in love, too. At that moment I'm sure that if Michael Bolton were in the room she'd have left me and kids and run away with him. :music:

So how do I like the amp? Honest to God, I think it's the best investment I've ever made. The system has already lived up to my (admittedly high) expectations and I haven't even started to tweak it yet.

As my 21 year old daughter said "You're going to be spending a lot of time on that couch, aren't you?" Damn right I am. I've got years of CDs to rediscover. :smoking:

klipschfan 04-18-2009 05:42 PM

McIntosh and Klipsch=Bread and Butter..................:tresbon:
Enjoy!

Alberto 04-18-2009 06:00 PM

Thanks for a great review John. This is what it's all about. Can you imagine a better way to spend the bonus money? :D

Alberto

'cisco 04-18-2009 06:34 PM

nice review John.....enjoy that beautiful amp :thumbsup:

hkval 04-18-2009 06:43 PM

Very nice review John. I owned a MC352 and then purchased a second one and bridged them. They were excellent. Buy a comfortable sofa to thoroughly enjoy being an audiocouchpotato for many years to come.

MC352 04-18-2009 06:58 PM

Nice write up.

Nice to see another happy MC352 owner enjoying the music.

Have fun playing all your CD's again.:yes:

jdandy 04-18-2009 07:39 PM

John.......A fine review. Thanks for the honorable mention. You did good. Very colorful descriptions, clear explanation of events, and a sentimental picture of your wife experiencing what you know and love so much. Great review. I told you the MC352 is a great amp. Now you know it, too. Happy listening :thumbsup:

BTW....how does the LED lighting kit look?

JJinID 04-18-2009 07:49 PM

Awesome to hear you are enjoying your MC352 so thoroughly. I had one for several years and listened to it almost daily. I could have easily lived with it for a lot longer if not for the 75% trade-in upgrade bug.

Wishing you many days and evenings to come enjoying the music... :music:

deafbykhorns 04-18-2009 08:54 PM

The LED lighting kit is sweet!!! If they only made one for the MC7205. The install was self explanatory, the 4 pin cables simply take the place of the old connections. Really didn't use the directions except for the mounting location of the PS board.
JJinID- How do you like the MC207 and do you use the second zone? I'm curious if this second zone has a separate power supply or does it power the entire buss.

JJinID 04-18-2009 09:22 PM

I used to own and use the MC7205 and MC202 - I traded both for the MC207, primarily to replace the bulbs and also for getting back some shelf space. I used the MC202 for my Zone B out of the MX119 which is driving Mc WS350 in walls in my downstairs living room (main system is in upstairs bonus room).

The MC207 was a nice upgrade over the 7205 - a little more detail/texture and power behind the sound, even though they are both spec'd at 200W at 4 Ohms. I don't hear a lot of difference between the 207 and the 202 in my Zone B, the 202 was a little better but not significant for the downstairs system although I do miss the 202 - it was a great sounding amp and I probably would have heard a bigger difference in the main system.

The MC207 does have a separate trigger for the Zone B but it looks like it does turn on the power for the entire amp. Don't know for sure but I don't think it has a separate bus.

Hope the reply is helpful/useful, and congrats again on the MC352!