AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Japanese Exotica (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   Luxman L-509X Review (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=42873)

GreginNH1 05-04-2018 08:41 AM

Luxman L-509X Review

Here is the review from Stereophile. This unit should sell like hotcakes!

It's not quite as good as the L-590AX II, but very close.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...OGv26xRBzZX.01

Formerly YB-2 05-04-2018 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreginNH1 (Post 913738)
It's not quite as good as the L-590AX II, but very close.

Why do you think this? Class A is not necessarily better than Class A/B. If it were, we would all own Class A amps.

jdandy 05-04-2018 09:37 AM

Greg.......The Luxman L-509X integrated amplifier looks like a well designed and formidable contender, although at nearly $10K there are many other fine integrated's to compete with.

GreginNH1 05-04-2018 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 913740)
Why do you think this? Class A is not necessarily better than Class A/B. If it were, we would all own Class A amps.

I have not done an A/B comparison but my dealer has.

The difference between both models was also confiimed by Jeff Sigmund of Luxman. I suspect he would know his products quite well.

GreginNH1 05-04-2018 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 913742)
Greg.......The Luxman L-509X integrated amplifier looks like a well designed and formidable contender, although at nearly $10K there are many other fine integrated's to compete with.

Hi Dan,

I totally agree. The addition of this model provides another great choice in the field. Previous versions of the Luxman integrated amps (other than the L-590 series) were based on really old technology. Luxman has upped their game with the 509.

PHC1 05-04-2018 04:01 PM

The 590AXII is superb. I've been around the block with this hobby, let me tell you, this integrated does everything extremely well. Besides the typical audiophile grade tricks, it manages to be engaging and musical. I have not compared the 509 to 590 but being that I typically do like well executed Class A sound, the 590AXII delivers. Since putting together the Luxman integrated with the Luxman SACD and Harbeth 30.2 speakers, I have no further plans to change any of the components for the next decade at least. :D

Masterlu 05-04-2018 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 913800)
I have no further plans to change any of the components for the next decade at least. :D

Yup, me neither. :whistle:

:D

GreginNH1 05-04-2018 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 913823)
Yup, me neither. :whistle:

:D

Ivan, he said DECADE, not month!

GreginNH1 05-04-2018 09:17 PM

I just returned home from a local event where I had the pleasure of speaking with Jeff Sigmund of Luxman. He stated that the L-509X has been incredibly well received world wide and virtually all markets have sold out of their allocations for the next month or two. Luxman plans to gear up in a really big way this summer to meet the demand.

One reason for the success of the L-509X is perhaps as we discussed, the concern that the 30 WPC Class A amp might not be powerful enough for some rigs so this new amp addresses this concern.

PHC1 05-04-2018 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreginNH1 (Post 913837)
I just returned home from a local event where I had the pleasure of speaking with Jeff Sigmund of Luxman. He stated that the L-509X has been incredibly well received world wide and virtually all markets have sold out of their allocations for the next month or two. Luxman plans to gear up in a really big way this summer to meet the demand.

One reason for the success of the L-509X is perhaps as we discussed, the concern that the 30 WPC Class A amp might not be powerful enough for some rigs so this new amp addresses this concern.

That's just the Class A rating which is plenty but when you want to rock the house, The Class A 590AXII puts out a very healthy 2x95W and 2x165W into 8/4ohm. I doubt I have ever even left Class A with my 87dB speakers in a rather large room. I know the Prima Luna puts out much less and I have not been able to stress the tubed amp, let alone this Luxman. :D

jzzmusician 05-05-2018 12:45 AM

Serge,

I really enjoy reading your posts. Would you please share your thoughts on the Primaluna compared to the Luxman?

Thanks in advance,

Bob

PHC1 05-05-2018 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jzzmusician (Post 913855)
Serge,

I really enjoy reading your posts. Would you please share your thoughts on the Primaluna compared to the Luxman?

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Thanks Bob,

They are actually both great integrated amps. More similar than different really. I can easily live and listen to either and be perfectly happy. :music:

Sometimes I can pick up on the slight advantage of the PrimaLuna digging deeper into the emotional content of music and harmonic richness like tubes can, only to compare to the Luxman and realize it's all in my head. They really are too much alike rather than significantly different. I would not want to bet any money on a blind test to guess which one is playing, even with a familiar recording. Well executed Class A design really does sound like tubes.

Judge for yourself. Listen to both carefully in the links below and decide for yourself which you think you like better. I'm glad I have both but I can neither decide nor part with either of them. :D

Luxman https://youtu.be/SRy8NyL7b1Y

PrimaLuna https://youtu.be/cssNqFBeNhw

GreginNH1 05-05-2018 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 913852)
That's just the Class A rating which is plenty but when you want to rock the house, The Class A 590AXII puts out a very healthy 2x95W and 2x165W into 8/4ohm. I doubt I have ever even left Class A with my 87dB speakers in a rather large room. I know the Prima Luna puts out much less and I have not been able to stress the tubed amp, let alone this Luxman. :D

I hear you on this fact Serge. It has always puzzled me that Luxman has never published the A/B specs on this amp. I think many potential buyers simply dismissed the Luxman due to the Class A rating.

johndoe21ro 05-05-2018 09:08 AM

Serge, you've got some really nice gear there! I'm also interested in the Luxman 590AXII... in order to simplify my system.
I hope you'll forgive me for the observations but the sound is a bit hollow and seems to lack a little body. Of course I don't know if it's the empty room, the speakers, the DAC, the cables or something else... Otherwise it seems resolute, fast, tonally rich and with a nice soundstage - as much as the video quality and the bit rate allows of course... :thumbsup:
Pre-amp/Digital: exaSound e32 w UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; SOtM tX-USBultra w UpTone LPS1.2; Apple Mac Mini w UpTone DC Conversion Kit & UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; Squeezelite w Logitech Media Server 7.9.0
Speakers: Triangle Magellan Cello II
Cables: AudioQuest WEL XLR, AudioQuest Everest, AudioQuest Hurricane HC, AudioQuest NRG-1000, AudioQuest Diamond USB
Rack: Solid Tech Hybrid
Tweaks: Omicron Stabilizzatore Armonico & Gold Evolution SE; IsoTek Sigmas GII w Optimum EVO3; Furutech FT-SWS (R) AC Outlet; Synergistic Research Blue Quantum Fuse

PHC1 05-05-2018 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreginNH1 (Post 913876)
I hear you on this fact Serge. It has always puzzled me that Luxman has never published the A/B specs on this amp. I think many potential buyers simply dismissed the Luxman due to the Class A rating.

Yep, I was a bit hesitant to get into a 30w Class A amp until I learned there is so much more overhead reserve. :D

PHC1 05-05-2018 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johndoe21ro (Post 913889)
Serge, you've got some really nice gear there! I'm also interested in the Luxman 590AXII... in order to simplify my system.
I hope you'll forgive me for the observations but the sound is a bit hollow and seems to lack a little body. Of course I don't know if it's the empty room, the speakers, the DAC, the cables or something else... Otherwise it seems resolute, fast, tonally rich and with a nice soundstage - as much as the video quality and the bit rate allows of course... :thumbsup:
Cables: AudioQuest WEL XLR 72v DBS, AudioQuest Everest DBS 72V, AudioQuest Hurricane High Current 72V DBS, AudioQuest NRG-10 72V DBS, AudioQuest Diamond USB 216V DBS, UpTone ISO Regen w USPCB A>B Adapter
Tweaks: Omicron Stabilizzatore Armonico & Gold Evolution SE; IsoTek Sigmas GII w IsoTek Optimum EVO3; Furutech FT-SWS (R) AC Outlet; HiFi Tuning Supreme 3

A few things going on, first it’s an iPhone recording to YouTube compression and then of course it will only sound as your playback chain on your end. Computer speakers? :D When I listen to my own video in quality headphones it gets closer to real life sound but of course it is still not it. The DAC used at the time of those videos was a $300 DAC module by the way. :smoking: Does an $8k SACD/DAC from Luxman make a difference later? Yeah, it did. :music: YouTube is not the best way to gauge the absolute sound quality obviously, but it gives one an idea none the less. I doubt very much you’d be disappointed with a Luxman integrated or separates. Pull the trigger and don’t look back. :thumbsup:

johndoe21ro 05-05-2018 11:01 AM

I listened through my headphones but your points are valid enough. I'm sure you're right so you must forgive me for criticizing your system. As for the amplification I'm not sure which way to go... upgrading to BAT VK-655SE, going for Vitus SS-010 (25W in class A), going for the Luxman or for something completely different. :scratch2:
Pre-amp/Digital: exaSound e32 w UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; SOtM tX-USBultra w UpTone LPS1.2; Apple Mac Mini w UpTone DC Conversion Kit & UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; Squeezelite w Logitech Media Server 7.9.0
Speakers: Triangle Magellan Cello II
Cables: AudioQuest WEL XLR, AudioQuest Everest, AudioQuest Hurricane HC, AudioQuest NRG-1000, AudioQuest Diamond USB
Tweaks: Omicron Stabilizzatore Armonico & Gold Evolution SE; IsoTek Sigmas GII w Optimum EVO3; Furutech FT-SWS (R) AC Outlet; Synergistic Research Blue Quantum Fuse

PHC1 05-05-2018 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johndoe21ro (Post 913901)
I listened through my headphones but your points are valid enough. I'm sure you're right so you must forgive me for criticizing your system. As for the amplification I'm not sure which way to go... upgrading to BAT VK-655SE, going for Vitus SS-010 (25W in class A), going for the Luxman or for something completely different. :scratch2:
Cables: AudioQuest WEL XLR 72v DBS, AudioQuest Everest DBS 72V, AudioQuest Hurricane High Current 72V DBS, AudioQuest NRG-10 72V DBS, AudioQuest Diamond USB 216V DBS, UpTone ISO Regen w USPCB A>B Adapter
Tweaks: Omicron Stabilizzatore Armonico & Gold Evolution SE; IsoTek Sigmas GII w IsoTek Optimum EVO3; Furutech FT-SWS (R) AC Outlet; HiFi Tuning Supreme 3

I didn't take it as criticism. My system is work in progress in the sense that the room is still not treated. Having said that, I am in no rush since it sounds great already and everything on top of that is icing on the cake. :music:

You already have great components, spending $$$ will yield only marginal if any improvement. I've certainly enjoyed my BAT setup with Dynadio back in the day so I am familiar with BAT sound. Sometimes it's wise to just not do anything but enjoy what you already have. Probably most of the times but you know how this crazy hobby goes. :D

DonBattles 05-05-2018 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 913852)

I’m with Serge on this. My L590aii supplies more than enough power to drive my Wilson Duettes. This will remain in my system and the only reason I would change is if I ever end up with a large listening room. In that situation I’d want some Luxman Class A mono-blocks.

DonBattles 05-05-2018 03:44 PM

My L590 in a much smaller room, but with acoustic treatment.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KsaKIolblYI

PHC1 05-06-2018 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonBattles (Post 913929)
My L590 in a much smaller room, but with acoustic treatment.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KsaKIolblYI

Very nice! :thumbsup::music:

Hayabusa 07-07-2018 03:30 AM

Luxman 509X Owner's Feedback

Hi to everyone at Audio Aficionado. I am new to this community and this thread was interesting to me as a new Luxman owner. I am based in Australia and have recently purchased a new Luxman L 509X and thought some may be interested in an owner's thoughts on this new integrated. This is my first Luxman product since my early years of getting the audio bug via a Luxman SQ38FD paired with a pair of NS1000 Yamaha monitors fed by a Linn Sondek TT and SME arm with V15/3! Quite a few changes over the years of course. My listening is split about 70/30 analogue/digital, currently with Brinkmann Bardo, Brinkmann 12.1 arm with Clearaudio Charisma mm and Audia Flight phono taking care of the records. A dCS Puccini and UClock takes care of the digital. Speakers are Audio Physic Cardeas + and I bought the 509X with view to seeing how it went and if it was as good as the several reviews I have read said it was then I would move up to the M900u/C900u combination once I had the cash!

The 509x took about 10 days to settle down. I have dedicated lines for audio and run all the electronics through an Isotek Sigmas evo3. I tried the amp direct to the wall but it sounds much better to my ears through the Sigmas. A long time to get to this point but I think context is important. Well after about 4 weeks of listening I can say that IMO the 509X is an outstanding amplifier that has elevated my listening pleasure enormously for both analogue(UK spelling) and digital with the greatest improvement coming via digital. I thought it would be good but not this good. What I had take for hyperbole by some reviewers I see now as an honest refection of their experiences. I am hearing things in old CD's I did not know existed and the Luxman fills CD's with new life and an emotional intensity on some tracks that has made me re-assess what digital via the silver disc can deliver in connecting the listener with the performers. Live recordings either digital or analogue are so much more real as the Luxman picks up so many cues from each recording venue. This is true also of studio albums but the effect on live recordings is naturally more obvious.

In more hi fi terms, the Luxman is very open with great detail but no etch at all. It is very even top to bottom with bass that is impactful, deep and very well defined. Great harmonic structure! All the soundstage boxes are well and truly ticked with the Luxman. Importantly there is nothing overly soft or bloated here. Just music delivered with a most natural toe tapping presentation on more dynamic tracks that retains the energy of the performance for you to share. I struggle to express this clearly I think but on some recordings I am feeling the music rather than simply listening to it.

All in all I think that Luxman has produced something very special with this amplifier and it is no surprise that in some places the initial shipments have sold out. I was looking at getting the M900U/C900U but I wonder just how much better they are likely to be and the 509X is so very good and seems to deliver everything I need! The phono stage is excellent BTW as per the Stereophile review.

For those on this forum with the Luxman 590AX11 you should have a look at the review on web review site Audiodrom(Polish I think but in English too) of not only that amp but the 509X compared directly with the reviewer's 590AX11 (he also has the 900 combination). He preferred the 509X on all music other than classical but it was very close apparently. I have not heard any other example of the current Luxman amplifier range but it is clear that something special is happening with that company at the moment if the 509X is anything to go by and what is reported in various reviews from around the world on that and other Luxman products. No financial or other interests in Luxman or any other product I use. Just a very happy owner.

audiodrom.net/en/

snoopy72 10-18-2018 10:34 AM

Another Luxman L-509X happy owner here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOcmV7EMWbA

GreginNH1 11-22-2018 01:59 PM

I am auditioning this model at home right now. Exceptionally smooth and engaging sound. Slightly less muscular than the Gryphon Diablo 300 but it makes up for it in the mid and high frequencies, which the Gryphon sometimes annoyed me with.

I am going from memory here but I think it is not quite as warm in sound presentation as its Class A brother L-590AX II.

I can understand what all the buzz has been about regarding this integrated!

LarsT 11-25-2018 03:51 PM

Greg, how would you compare the L-509X to the Accuphase E-470 you previously had?

GreginNH1 11-25-2018 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarsT (Post 942104)
Greg, how would you compare the L-509X to the Accuphase E-470 you previously had?

Hi Lars,

The Luxman is a very engaging integrated. It does everything extremely well and has a much smoother presentation of the music than the E-470 did. Lots of space and air, nothing harsh - it just connects me with music in a way no other gear has. Others have suggested that I commit to writing my impressions on the eight integrated amps I have owned over the last four years. I may do that one day.

I made lots of mistakes taking the advice of selling dealers without actually hearing the amps or even better, conducting in -home auditions. Others like me who have been on the merry go round have seemed to find a certain level of contentment with a Luxman. Only time will tell if I get the itch again!

Luxman really hit a home run with this unit.

If you get chance to try it out, I’m sure you will really like it.

Weirdcuba 11-25-2018 07:06 PM

8 amps in four years? Can I tell my wife - makes me look good!

LarsT 11-25-2018 07:07 PM

I already tried. It doesn’t help [emoji23]

GreginNH1 11-25-2018 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weirdcuba (Post 942143)
8 amps in four years? Can I tell my wife - makes me look good!

Whatever works Jim!:D

LarsT 12-09-2018 05:04 PM

Greg, do you remember your 590 AX ll enough to compare it to the L-509x? I’m contemplating a Luxman integrated to pair with my D-08u.

GreginNH1 12-09-2018 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarsT (Post 944145)
Greg, do you remember your 590 AX ll enough to compare it to the L-509x? I’m contemplating a Luxman integrated to pair with my D-08u.

Yes.

I will PM you with my phone number.

freesole 01-14-2019 04:26 PM

^ Curious to hear your thoughts as well. I have a Line Magnetic 805ia tube amp which I am really enjoying. I had auditioned this amp along with the Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP at home and for me, the Line Magnetic was my clear choice. Now, with me and my wife thinking about a little kiddo, I am thinking that a good solid state integrated would be nice.

freesole 02-06-2019 10:06 PM

I had the opportunity to try the 509X at home with my system and I was impressed. Loads of power and lots more to spare with my Spendor D9's. Very fluid and smooth. I felt the music reproduction was very dynamic and I could see why people love this amp. Coming from a strong tube amp like the 805ia though, I did miss some of that magic that the Line Magnetic provided. I preferred the 590AXII to the 509X without question.

GreginNH1 02-06-2019 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freesole (Post 952179)
I had the opportunity to try the 509X at home with my system and I was impressed. Loads of power and lots more to spare with my Spendor D9's. Very fluid and smooth. I felt the music reproduction was very dynamic and I could see why people love this amp. Coming from a strong tube amp like the 805ia though, I did miss some of that magic that the Line Magnetic provided. I preferred the 590AXII to the 509X without question.

Since you are a tube guy, I can totally understand why you prefer the 590AXII. :thumbsup:

Tie_breaker 02-06-2019 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freesole (Post 952179)

I also had the chance to compare the Line Magnetic 805ia and L-509X as I used to own both before I sold the 509X. I agree that the 508ia has certain magic that I did not hear with the L-509X. I hope to listen to the 590AXII soon.

freesole 02-07-2019 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreginNH1 (Post 952181)
Since you are a tube guy, I can totally understand why you prefer the 590AXII. :thumbsup:

You were right Greg, the 590 has that extra touch of warmth and sweetness that tube lovers subconsciously look for. It really is a great amp.

PHC1 02-07-2019 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freesole (Post 952199)
You were right Greg, the 590 has that extra touch of warmth and sweetness that tube lovers subconsciously look for. It really is a great amp.

Well, I have the pleasure of listening to the 590 and the PrimaLuna HP in the same system, it's as simple as switching the speaker wires from one to the other. There is nothing that the PrimaLuna, even in the triode mode can really do better than the 590. Yeah, the 590 really is that good. Velvety, smooth sound of tubes with the grip of Class A solid state. On the other hand, the 590 does not really trump the PL HP either, they are more similar than different, which says a lot about a solid state integrated. :music:

freesole 02-07-2019 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 952202)
Well, I have the pleasure of listening to the 590 and the PrimaLuna HP in the same system, it's as simple as switching the speaker wires from one to the other. There is nothing that the PrimaLuna, even in the triode mode can really do better than the 590. Yeah, the 590 really is that good. Velvety, smooth sound of tubes with the grip of Class A solid state. On the other hand, the 590 does not really trump the PL HP either, they are more similar than different, which says a lot about a solid state integrated. :music:

That is interesting, I could see that. My memory isn't great but I had the Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP for about 4 weeks. Ultimately returned it and kept the Line Magnetic. The PL is a great amp though.

Oddly enough, like you, if I get the 590AXII, I will likely keep my tube integrated so that I can switch back when I feel like it. Best of both worlds :banana:

PHC1 02-07-2019 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freesole (Post 952207)
That is interesting, I could see that. My memory isn't great but I had the Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP for about 4 weeks. Ultimately returned it and kept the Line Magnetic. The PL is a great amp though.

Oddly enough, like you, if I get the 590AXII, I will likely keep my tube integrated so that I can switch back when I feel like it. Best of both worlds :banana:

As we all know, tube amps are more sensitive to speakers and some speakers are more revealing than others. My Harbeth 30.2s are not the most revealing speakers but are quite musical and smooth so the little differences may very well go unnoticed by my ears which more than OK by me. I've long lost the interest chasing some pinnacle of the last ounce of resolution and detail, when I listen to music I don't want to think about the gear at all and I haven't :music:

modlin 03-29-2019 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 952208)
As we all know, tube amps are more sensitive to speakers and some speakers are more revealing than others. My Harbeth 30.2s are not the most revealing speakers but are quite musical and smooth so the little differences may very well go unnoticed by my ears which more than OK by me. I've long lost the interest chasing some pinnacle of the last ounce of resolution and detail, when I listen to music I don't want to think about the gear at all and I haven't :music:

:thumbsup: