AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Shunyata Research (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Shunyata Sigma USB and AES/EBU Cables (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=41522)

PlanarSpeakerFan 12-15-2017 06:59 PM

Shunyata Sigma USB and AES/EBU Cables

Has anybody tried these cables and if so, what were your impressions?

Thanks,
Ken

Puma Cat 12-15-2017 08:10 PM

I've heard great things about the Shunyata USB cables. I can't speak to the AES/EBU, but I am very impressed with the Shunyata Venom 75 ohm digital coax RCA cable I bought for use with my Schiit Eitr USB/SPDIF convertor.

SCAudiophile 12-15-2017 09:12 PM

The AES are not to mince words, the best I ever have used. They displaced KS ELATION cables that had been in my system about 5 years with no competition. Very noticeable improvements in all frequency bands and added a bit more bass extension and clarity. Soundstge more palpable and realistic in all 3 dimensions. In a word, amazing. DAY 1 was great, by day 3 the KS were out of the aystem for good. Amazing musical and soundstage improvements were had from a P02 and D02 I thought were already showing me all they could do.

Puma Cat 12-15-2017 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCAudiophile (Post 886146)
The AES are not to mince words, the best I ever have used. They displaced KS ELATION cables that had been in my system about 5 years with no competition. Very noticeable improvements in all frequency bands and added a bit more bass extension and clarity. Soundstge more palpable and realistic in all 3 dimensions. In a word, amazing. DAY 1 was great, by day 3 the KS were out of the aystem for good. Amazing musical and soundstage improvements were had from a P02 and D02 I thought were already showing me all they could do.

Great to hear, thank you. I think the bass extension and clarity were improved because of Shunyata's excellent shielding and noise filtering/isolation. They are masters at removing noise, hash and grunge.

gadawg 01-13-2018 03:52 AM

Is the Sigma USB even shipping yet? Can’t find it anywhere yet...

SCAudiophile 02-15-2018 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 886168)
Great to hear, thank you. I think the bass extension and clarity were improved because of Shunyata's excellent shielding and noise filtering/isolation. They are masters at removing noise, hash and grunge.

Agreed...they are THE best 110ohm cables I have ever tried or owned, both being a VERY long list!

CGabriel 02-15-2018 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gadawg (Post 892438)
Is the Sigma USB even shipping yet? Can’t find it anywhere yet...

The Alpha and Sigma USB cables are in the final stages of preparations for production release. We are anticipating the first production run soon.

SCAudiophile 02-15-2018 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CGabriel (Post 899612)
The Alpha and Sigma USB cables are in the final stages of preparations for production release. We are anticipating the first production run soon.

Caelin...have you tested any of lengths 5m or longer by any chance?

CGabriel 02-15-2018 10:47 AM

The maximum length for any USB cable is 5 meters.
The length has to do with the timing of the USB protocol.
We have tested cables longer than 5 meters and they ‘may’ in some situations. But it is ultimately unreliable.

Interestingly, we have found that short USB do sound as good as longer lengths.
This has to do technical interface issues. We recommend a length of not less than 1.5 meters.

SCAudiophile 02-16-2018 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CGabriel (Post 899622)
The maximum length for any USB cable is 5 meters.
The length has to do with the timing of the USB protocol.
We have tested cables longer than 5 meters and they ‘may’ in some situations. But it is ultimately unreliable.

Interestingly, we have found that short USB do sound as good as longer lengths.
This has to do technical interface issues. We recommend a length of not less than 1.5 meters.

Thank you Caelin,...some like BMC take a power-corrected approach very similar to very long run HDMI options though I suspect there are side effects to doing that...