AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Photography (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Digital Photography (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=374)

JDCheek 04-19-2009 03:47 PM

Digital Photography

I know that there are some camera and photo enthusiast in the group, and am not sure where in the forum we can chat. I was actually a fairly decent photographer in college. It paid for a good bit of my schooling. However, I have not had an interest for a long time. I just splurged an a Canon 50d, with the 17-40mmL zoom lens. I also got got the 55-250es zoom lens as well. The digital SLR is a fine instrument. It will take me some time to learn the creative modes. So far so good though.

Who else in the group enjoys the hobby?

1KW 04-19-2009 03:56 PM

I am into digital photography. I am on my 3rd digital SLR; I started with a D100 when it first came out then the D200. Presently I have a D300 with a Nikor 18-200 zoom and 50 1.4 nikor.

80B 04-19-2009 04:02 PM

I've got the D300, 18-200, a 12-24 and the 50 1.4 as well. Great gear, although I haven't done a lot with it, partially because we haven't been on the road as much in the past year or so. It's amazing what these cameras can do these days.

gregswaim 04-19-2009 04:13 PM

My wife has a really nice digital camera and she takes lots of terrestrial/people photos,but that's her toy and she does not let me use it unsupervised. She's afraid that I'll mess up the settings on it or something. I'm not really interested in terrestrial photos anyway so I just use my camera phone for taking pictures of my equipment and posting it here on AA. The down side to that is my camera phone does not have the image stabilization feature that my wife's camera does and that of course causes some of my posted images to be fuzzy- oh well!
I do however have professional astronomy equipment and CCD(charged coupling device) scientific camera and photograph the sun & moon. You can check out my photos in my profile section in the album "Solar & Lunar Pixxx". Right now, it's the solar minimum and there's not a lot of solar activity like flares,CME's,and sunspots. That should change in the next few months as the solar cycle progresses. My scientific camera is a Lumenera SKYnyx 2-2M monochrome CCD camera designed mainly for solar photography but can also be used for lunar and planetary photography with very good results. I have 2 telescopes: one for solar work and one for lunar/planetary stuff.

-E- 04-19-2009 04:17 PM

I used to be into it in my teens, had a 35mm N70 with a few lenses. Now I just like the convenience of my little Lumix. Takes a mean pic too...

However, if given a scream of a deal on a D300 or its newer equivalent with some ED lenses, I may have to jump... That is probably the nicest prosumer camera I've ever played around with.

PHC1 04-19-2009 04:53 PM

I enjoy photography. Not as active with it as I'd like to be. I have a Canon 30D with some Canon "L" lenses and a few others.

Clarbin 04-19-2009 04:59 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I have a Nikon D300 as well with a couple of different lenses, an 18-200 and 105mm 2.8 macro. My next lens is going to be a 24-70 2.8.

Here's a few shots I took a couple of weeks ago.

Masterlu 04-19-2009 05:03 PM

Really nice! We now have a Photography forum to post in. Thx Jim :thumbsup:

dpgstereo 04-20-2009 01:00 AM

Bought my wife the new Nikon D3x and a couple of ED lenses to upgrade from her D2x. I have used both and the D3x really is the bomb. Super clear pics, quick and easy to use. Full frame format lets in enough more light, over the DX format, to gain a couple of f-stops or faster shutter speeds.

Finally, Apple has an update allowing you to open/edit RAW pics from the D3x in iphoto.

Clarbin 04-20-2009 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpgstereo (Post 6145)
Bought my wife the new Nikon D3x and a couple of ED lenses to upgrade from her D2x. I have used both and the D3x really is the bomb. Super clear pics, quick and easy to use. Full frame format lets in enough more light, over the DX format, to gain a couple of f-stops or faster shutter speeds.

Finally, Apple has an update allowing you to open/edit RAW pics from the D3x in iphoto.

Well that's a mighty nice camera. I would love to have one, but 6 or 7k on a new camera right now just ain't in the cards.

Good luck to your wife on her new toy! :thumbsup: