AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Magico (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=134)
-   -   Magico M3's on order! (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=40771)

2fastdriving 10-12-2017 01:21 PM

With these new speakers, you may end up rethinking your whole system. It's going to be a whole different sport than before :)

docmd2010 10-12-2017 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperDave (Post 871657)
Impressive list with some difficult choices I'm sure. I'd like to hear the Alexx soon. Alexia 2, ill hear next month. I know you said the M3's were miles ahead but how did they compare to the S7 & S5?

The S7 was my second choice. The presentation is overall more grand. This speaker is really meant for big rooms (probably bigger than or equal to 500 sq. feet) although it would work in medium rooms if they are well treated. If you like to listen to super dynamic stuff, like rock music or ultra dynamic classical than the S7 would work better. The M3 is a much more refined speaker, it's midrange clarity is unlike anything I've ever heard. It's a deceptively small speaker for what it does and it throws a ridiculous image. The top end is very clean and not harsh. I thought that the midbass in the M3 was a lot faster and staccato.

The S5 has a similar sonic signature to the S7 but less bass (smaller bass drivers). I found the midrange to be somewhat muddier than the M3.

docmd2010 10-12-2017 02:16 PM

absolutely. I have plans to upgrade electronics down the road, after I can lick the wounds from this expenditure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fastdriving (Post 871658)
With these new speakers, you may end up rethinking your whole system. It's going to be a whole different sport than before :)

bart 10-12-2017 02:51 PM

Aditya, wow, congrats!
I think these must be amongst the finest speakers available now.
Enjoy them.
And indeed, they will expose all the weak links in your system.

Still-One 10-12-2017 02:56 PM

Congratulations. The M3's are very fine speakers.

It will interesting how they pair up with your McIntosh amps. That is a combo I have not heard yet.

docmd2010 10-12-2017 03:33 PM

Bart thank you! I fully expect them to expose the weak links!

Stillone-

I don’t expect I’ll have the McIntosh electronics very long, I heard these D Agostino and they were sublime, and I think that’s the direction I’ll go. Looks like you made a similar move! The progression line is a bit more economical, and I wonder how these compare to the momentums.

Still-One 10-12-2017 03:41 PM

The Progression Line is excellent and gives up little to the Momentum series. In fact I am sure some would prefer it.

If you are considering changing gear for your M3's, don't forget to try Solution or Nagra but those too can be very pricy. The best I have heard Magico has been paired with Soulution.

docmd2010 10-12-2017 03:50 PM

Yup I’m def. going to look at soulution and probably also Esoteric grandioso as well. We will see how this shapes up.

2fastdriving 10-12-2017 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by docmd2010 (Post 871699)
Yup I’m def. going to look at soulution and probably also Esoteric grandioso as well. We will see how this shapes up.

Seems like it's really shaping up nicely. Those speakers, combined with the gear you are considering, will absolutely blow you away. You are running with the big dogs now! Looking forward to watching your progression.:thumbsup:

bart 10-12-2017 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by docmd2010 (Post 871691)
Bart thank you! I fully expect them to expose the weak links!

Stillone-

I don’t expect I’ll have the McIntosh electronics very long, I heard these D Agostino and they were sublime, and I think that’s the direction I’ll go. Looks like you made a similar move! The progression line is a bit more economical, and I wonder how these compare to the momentums.

Aditya, as you shop in the cost-is-no-object, or close to that anyway, you might also consider Aries Cerat.
Their amps are truly special (heard the S1 Mk2 with them, which was probably overkill for the speakers).
Another brand not yet mentioned here is Analog Domain. One of our AA friends has a terrific system with their DAC and 2 amps in mono configuration.

Happy hunting!