AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Wilson Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Absolute sounds review (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=46256)

Sea music 07-15-2019 09:39 PM

Absolute sounds review

Just wondering if anyone else noticed the two scathing reviews by Jonathan Valin in the show report. “In spite of somewhat anemic bass from the DAWS” and “Ricki Lee Jones sounded piercing ...the woofers masking the mids. Two different
Wilson’s both given a pretty good slap. I guess I’m glad I only bought the Sabrina’s. Honestly I think I just bought my last “Absolute Sound”.

W9TR 07-15-2019 09:54 PM

Absolute sounds review

You have to follow a reviewer for several years and listen to a bunch of gear they have reviewed to find out how their opinions match your experience.

For example when JA reviewed the Sonus Faber Amati Futuras he was less than enthusiastic about their treble response which meant they would be perfect for me.

audioguy3107 07-15-2019 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea music (Post 973142)
Just wondering if anyone else noticed the two scathing reviews by Jonathan Valin in the show report. “In spite of somewhat anemic bass from the DAWS” and “Ricki Lee Jones sounded piercing ...the woofers masking the mids. Two different
Wilson’s both given a pretty good slap. I guess I’m glad I only bought the Sabrina’s. Honestly I think I just bought my last “Absolute Sound”.

It's a show report, unless a reviewer spent quite a bit of time with the speaker in their home under controlled conditions, i wouldn't give it a second thought. We heard a bunch of megabuck systems at RMAF last year that sounded nowhere near what they should for the money most likely due to show conditions.

- Buck

JMD 07-15-2019 10:31 PM

JV is a full fledged Magico fan.

djcxxx 07-16-2019 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMD (Post 973151)

That’s the ticket. He has moved on to much more expensive gear than ARC and Wilson. Magico, Constellation, and Soulution are his darlings these days. TAS hasn’t been the same since it’s “underground” days when HP lived in Glen Cove.

Kal Rubinson 07-16-2019 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djcxxx (Post 973163)
That’s the ticket. He has moved on to much more expensive gear than ARC and Wilson. Magico, Constellation, and Soulution are his darlings these days. TAS hasn’t been the same since it’s “underground” days when HP lived in Glen Cove.

Sea Cliff, please.

djcxxx 07-16-2019 10:12 AM

Yes, my bad.

Canonicus 07-16-2019 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMD (Post 973151)

So..he can't give a "fair" review of Wilsons because of that?

audioguy3107 07-16-2019 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canonicus (Post 973195)
So..he can't give a "fair" review of Wilsons because of that?

Ultimately I think it’s pretty hard to give a totally fair review of anything at a show....I think that you can get an idea of how the product sounds but a true fair review is difficult due to room, sources and unfamiliarity of other products in the chain.

- Buck

W9TR 07-16-2019 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioguy3107 (Post 973208)
Ultimately I think it’s pretty hard to give a totally fair review of anything at a show....I think that you can get an idea of how the product sounds but a true fair review is difficult due to room, sources and unfamiliarity of other products in the chain.

- Buck

Very true. I don’t envy reviewers - it’s hard to do properly even in a space you are familiar with.