AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Audio Racks & Furniture (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=146)
-   -   TonTräger Reference Speaker Stands: Anybody Own Them? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=45663)

rnrmf1971 04-21-2019 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 962376)
Considering it is an artisan product made by hand from wood sourced from the Bavarian Alps where the factory is located (in a sustainable manner) as well as using solvent free oils and stains, the price is more than fair. :smoking: https://www.tontraeger-audio.com/lang/en/ueber-uns.html

Harping about $1500 natural product made by hand yet justifying copper cables in all likelihood sourced from China and covered in some fancy plastic sleeve, costing thousands of dollars and yielding nothing but fantasy is logical? Audiophiles... sheesh :smoking:

Sure, to some extent. I guess you don't subscribe much to cables making a difference, though.

But I get why someone would look at them and think they're overpriced. They're dainty. That's probably the first thing I thought when I saw them and heard the price a few months ago.

Given the choice between 2 identical stands, I'd probably choose the one with the attributes Ton Trager employees as long as the price paid for those "better" stands seemed commensurate with the added cost of those attributes.

In any case, my hesitation with them is the fear the speakers could could get bumped off small columns that look barely the size of a dime. Otherwise, I think they're attractive with their diminutive appearance and finish.

Route 66 04-21-2019 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rnrmf1971 (Post 962355)
I worry I'd knock a speaker off the small protrusions of the Ton Trager stand.

Living on the West Coast, I also have to be concerned with earthquakes shaking them off their stands. Maybe I'm better off with my Sound Anchors, even if they don't bring out the very best in my Harbeths. :dunno:

rnrmf1971 04-21-2019 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Route 66 (Post 962386)
Living on the West Coast, I also have to be concerned with earthquakes shaking them off their stands. Maybe I'm better off with my Sound Anchors, even if they don't bring out the very best in my Harbeths. :dunno:

Yeah, I didn't even think about that. You'd really be taking a gamble.

One of the dealers I was speaking to sold both Ton Trager and Sound Anchors and was recommending the Sound Anchors; that's what he personally used with his Harbeth speakers, although he had added Symposium platforms on top of the Sound Anchor stands. He told me they sounded great this way.

None of these stands seems like the "wrong" choice.

Puma Cat 04-22-2019 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Route 66 (Post 962386)

Right there with ya on that one, Steve. We've had some temblors here in the Bay Area, for sure. I remember one a few years ago, in 2017 that really rippled my townhome pretty good. My bedroom window doesn't close in its tracks easily anymore as a result.

Route 66 04-22-2019 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rnrmf1971 (Post 962388)
Yeah, I didn't even think about that. You'd really be taking a gamble.

One of the dealers I was speaking to sold both Ton Trager and Sound Anchors and was recommending the Sound Anchors; that's what he personally used with his Harbeth speakers, although he had added Symposium platforms on top of the Sound Anchor stands. He told me they sounded great this way.

None of these stands seems like the "wrong" choice.

That's really encouraging news about the Sound Anchors because they weigh 60 pounds apiece and I'm not crazy about placing my speakers on stands that would make them top heavy and more prone to tipping over.

Puma Cat 04-22-2019 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Route 66 (Post 962397)
That's really encouraging news about the Sound Anchors because they weigh 60 pounds apiece and I'm not crazy about placing my speakers on stands that would make them top heavy and more prone to tipping over.

Sound Anchors... :D

Route 66 04-22-2019 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 962396)
Right there with ya on that one, Steve. We've had some temblors here in the Bay Area, for sure. I remember one a few years ago, in 2017 that really rippled my townhome pretty good. My bedroom window doesn't close in its tracks easily anymore as a result.

Fortunately, we don't have to deal with quakes very often but it's no fun never knowing when they're gonna hit. :yikes:

Puma Cat 04-22-2019 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Route 66 (Post 962399)
Fortunately, we don't have to deal with quakes very often but it's no fun never knowing when they're gonna hit. :yikes:

All we can be assured of is...there will be another earthquake.

Route 66 04-22-2019 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 962398)
Sound Anchors... :D

LOL, yeah, maybe I should stick with what I have now. :yes:

Route 66 04-22-2019 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 962401)
All we can be assured of is...there will be another earthquake.

I just hope 'the big one' is a long way off.