AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   McIntosh Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   C2600 Tube Rolling (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=42856)

akitared 05-02-2018 12:12 AM

C2600 Tube Rolling

Hello all, I am seeking guidance and feedback from forum members on Tube Rolling for the C2600 preamp.

I know that the main input is a 12ax7 and that the main output is 12at7.

What have other forum members mixed and matched for rolling these tubes? I swapped out the standard tubes with Golden Lions for the past year, now I am feeling the urge to play around with the tubes.

I hear good things about Siemens, Mullards, Brimar and Mazda along with Telefunkens of course.

Another thing, has anyone had experience of dealing with tubemonger.com?
I have bought tubes from Brent Jesse previously but hadn’t come across Tubemonger.

Look forward to your thoughts and suggestions

jdandy 05-02-2018 11:40 AM

akitared.......I have had great success improving the sound of my C2300 using Gold Lion 12AX7 gold pin tubes. Send a PM to our own Audio Aficionado tube vendor vintage_tube (Bob) for the best prices on Gold Lion and many other tube manufactures. He will treat you right.

I have also done business with tubemonger. I purchased several pairs of Siemens tubes from them over the years. Good tube vendor but not cheap.

akitared 05-02-2018 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 913550)
akitared.......I have had great success improving the sound of my C2300 using Gold Lion 12AX7 gold pin tubes. Send a PM to our own Audio Aficionado tube vendor vintage_tube (Bob) for the best prices on Gold Lion and many other tube manufactures. He will treat you right.

I have also done business with tubemonger. I purchased several pairs of Siemens tubes form them over the years. Good tube vendor but not cheap.

Thanks for the reply I will reach out to Bob

McDaddy 08-11-2018 02:48 PM

Great advice by Dan as usual. I swapped my stock tubes for Gold Lion 12AX7 gold pin tubes and was very pleased after 30 hours of burn in.

Delmac 08-11-2018 09:16 PM

Hope nobody thinks this is a dumb question, but I just dont know. I’ve had a 2600 for a few months now. What sound differences will the Gold Lions give me. More of a tubey sound, more detailed, more of the old Mcintosh sound?

jdandy 08-12-2018 12:15 PM

Delmac.......The McIntosh C2600 comes from the factoru with McIntosh branded 12AX7 tubes manufactured by JJ Tubes. These tubes are not bad sounding at all, although JJ Tubes are not known for long service life. That is the primary reason I avoid JJ tubes in my equipment. Gold Lion 12AX7 gold pin tubes (ECC83/B759/12AX7) and 12AT7 gold pin tubes (ECC81/B739/12AT7) are considerably more reliable. Best of all
the Gold Lion tubes have a detailed yet liquid smooth organic sound with extremely low noise level. In other words, Gold Lion tubes are an excellent choice for replacement of the McIntosh factory branded tubes. Put the factory tubes in storage as spares and load your C2600 with Gold Lion tubes. Once they have about 60 ours on them you will be very pleased you made the change.

Note, you only need to swap the tubes in the line stage (one 12AX7 and one 12AT7) and the phono stage (two 12AX7) you are using. If you are not using the moving magnet phono stage, leave the factory tubes in place there. It will save you the cost of two extra tubes you won't be using. If you're not using either of the two phono stages in the C2600 then only replace the two line stage tubes.

Delmac 08-12-2018 06:36 PM

Jdandy......Thanks for the info. I’ll just have to replace the two tubes in the C2600 as I recently purchased the MP1100. So I guess I do both at the same time. The C2600 probably has at least 200hrs on it and the MP1100 is only 4 days old.

jdandy 08-12-2018 08:56 PM

Delmac.......Congratulations on your new MP1100 phono preamp. It looks like all you will need to do is replace the the 12AX7 and 12AT7 in the C2600 line output section (the last two tubes on the right side of your tube window. Yes, replace both tubes at the same time.

Delmac 09-08-2018 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 926778)
Delmac.......Congratulations on your new MP1100 phono preamp. It looks like all you will need to do is replace the the 12AX7 and 12AT7 in the C2600 line output section (the last two tubes on the right side of your tube window. Yes, replace both tubes at the same time.

Have to say Vintage_tube was a pleasure to work with. Can’t wail till Monday when the Gold Lions arrive.

Delmac 09-10-2018 08:57 PM

Like clockwork the new tubes were in my mailbox when I came home. Have to say really took a good bit of wiggling to get them in. Now to break them in.