AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Magico (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=134)
-   -   Magico S3 Review (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=27172)

Masterlu 06-18-2014 09:20 AM

marsalis... Welcome to AA! :wave:

marsalis 06-18-2014 10:39 AM

Thank you!

jdandy 06-18-2014 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myles B. Astor (Post 616380)
As they say, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Some like the simplistic look. :)

Myles.......So true. Sure, the sound of a speaker is vitally important to my enjoyment but equally so is its appearance. Speakers live in my home 24/7 whether playing or not. If they don't also please my eyes, I am unlikely to own them. Colored metal monoliths just don't do it for me. Someone else may find the Magico S3 or S5 beautiful. I have no problem with that. The subjectivity of sight and sound makes it possible for both to be right.

Myles B. Astor 06-18-2014 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 616426)
Myles.......So true. Sure, the sound of a speaker is vitally important to my enjoyment but equally so is its appearance. Speakers live in my home 24/7 whether playing or not. If they don't also please my eyes, I am unlikely to own them. Colored metal monoliths just don't do it for me. Someone else may find the Magico S3 or S5 beautiful. I have no problem with that. The subjectivity of sight and sound makes it possible for both to be right.

The S3s can sound magical like they did a couple of weeks ago at Bob's Rhapsody,Music and Cinema being driven by the 200K SE Audio Note Kagura amplifiers. Very delicate, amazing shadings and great low level resolution.

jdandy 06-18-2014 06:25 PM

Myles.......As I read somewhere, even Alon Wolf was surprised and delighted when he listened to the first completed S3's with the new oval shaped internal enclosure that isolates the midrange driver. No doubt, there is plenty of engineering in the Magico S3.

Myles B. Astor 06-18-2014 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 616552)
Myles.......As I read somewhere, even Alon Wolf was surprised and delighted when he listened to the first completed S3's with the new oval shaped internal enclosure that isolates the midrange driver. No doubt, there is plenty of engineering in the Magico S3.

That's what he told and showed me when I was at the factory in April.

I just think the S3 and S5 deliver a lot for the money.

Car commander 06-18-2014 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myles B. Astor (Post 616379)
More important is the source material. :)

Some systems will correct for poor recordings. My understanding of Magico S-3's is that they are very revealing. Even a great recording won't sound great on a poor or poorly matched system. I have been in several dealers show rooms and had my ears assalted.

I also think Magico S-3's do look rather plain, but it would not keep me from buying them.

Myles B. Astor 06-18-2014 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Car commander (Post 616587)
Some systems will correct for poor recordings. My understanding of Magico S-3's is that they are very revealing. Even a great recording doesn't sound great on a poor or poorly matched system. I have been in several dealers show rooms and had my ears assalted.

I also think Magico S-3's do look rather plain, but it would not keep me from buying them.

Agreed. All depends on what you want from your system. :) I prefer neutrality and resolution within the context of sounding like music. Maybe that's why I'm an analog type guy.

Car commander 06-18-2014 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myles B. Astor (Post 616588)
Agreed. All depends on what you want from your system. :) I prefer neutrality and resolution within the context of sounding like music. Maybe that's why I'm an analog type guy.

Hmmm. I would venture that the only thing neutral is live music. IMHO every system modifies this in some way or another.

I personally would not be in this hobby if I had to deal with vinyl. I am not trying to start a debate. To each their own.

If were to start over with my system Magico's would be on the list and a trip to Ivan's house.

Masterlu 06-18-2014 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Car commander (Post 616608)
Hmmm. I would venture that the only thing neutral is live music. IMHO every system modifies this in some way or another.

I personally would not be in this hobby if I had to deal with vinyl. I am not trying to start a debate. To each their own.

If were to start over with my system Magico's would be on the list and a trip to Ivan's house.

Jim... You don't have to start over to visit me. :)