AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Audio Discussion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Is that like a Bose? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=14730)

bdowell 06-23-2012 06:30 PM

Is that like a Bose?

This should be a fun discussion. Have you ever been a cocktail party or social gathering and somehow your stereo system becomes the subject of the discussion and the other person says something to the effect that they have or know someone with a Bose? I'd like to know what you AA say?

Ian 06-23-2012 06:44 PM

I am always very careful to respect the choices people have made. :yes:
In my reply I recognize that for many Bose may be the best they have experienced so far and they may feel that compact size and low mass is an attribute. Lugging massive monoblock class A or A/B amplifiers around with huge speakers is no fun ... that is until you play music through them! :music:

chessman 06-23-2012 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdowell (Post 327737)
This should be a fun discussion. Have you ever been a cocktail party or social gathering and somehow your stereo system becomes the subject of the discussion and the other person says something to the effect that they have or know someone with a Bose? I'd like to know what you AA say?

"I am going to the bar for a refill. Do you need anything?"

bart 06-23-2012 06:55 PM

Randy, my glass is empty!

Well, I am the very proud owner of a Bose system in my 6 years old Audi A6. At that time the best available.
Today, I picked up a good friend (NOT an audiophile :D), and was playing some Bach.
He was in utter admiration. "Wow, a BOSE system!!".
I was so happy with that remark, that it made me forget the daily pains of the hissing 's', the muddy bass, and the poor midrange for 3 1/3 seconds!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :banana::banana::banana:

Portugal 06-23-2012 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chessman (Post 327745)
"I am going to the bar for a refill. Do you need anything?"

:roflmao:

jdandy 06-23-2012 07:32 PM

I can still remember being a kid and thinking my mono transistor pocket radio sounded good. It's just a matter of perspective. If your head is in the right place, some music is better than no music, even if it's coming from a Bose.

Portugal 06-23-2012 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 327763)
I can still remember being a kid and thinking my mono transistor pocket radio sounded good. It's just a matter of perspective. If your head is in the right place, some music is better than no music, even if it's coming from a Bose.

Good point :yes:

New to Mac 06-23-2012 08:20 PM

My observation is that most people don't know the difference and the rest don't care. For people that aren't passionate about the hobby, someone that spends $40k or $80k or $100k or more on a "stereo" should have their heads examined. It's the same thing for sports cars, houses, art, antiques, or anything else that can cost more than 2x the average gross wage in this country. I think that someone that spends $20k on a 200 hp turbocharged snowmobile is crazy and has messed up priorities, but for my buddies in Maine, it's what they love and what they do and they think nothing of it. Like the man said, it's all a matter of perspective. I've got too many other fish to fry before I spend my time trying to preach to the unconverted. if you love Bose and think it's high end, knock yourself out.

LordoftheRingsEE 06-23-2012 08:29 PM

---------:eatndrink:

Rilands 06-23-2012 08:35 PM

I would tell this person that Bose is great for many, but in the circle of friends that I usually talk audio, Bose would not be considered good enough.
With that said, if one wanted an easy all-in-one system for around 3000.00, Bose may be the answer.