AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Vinyl & Accessories (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   VPI Periphery ring feedback (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=44154)

audioguy3107 10-23-2018 10:42 PM

VPI Periphery ring feedback

Was wondering if some of you with the periphery ring could comment on the performance of your VPI table/vinyl and what it did in your system. The ring is about the only accessory I haven’t tried with my Classic Signature. I’m using the Stillpoints clamp from Ivan with great success along with the SDS but was thinking of picking up the ring. Major improvements or not necessary? FWIW I don’t have hardly if any warped vinyl although I do have a few with typical edge warp that don’t cause major issues.

- Buck

SL1800 10-23-2018 10:46 PM

Buck I have the ring on mine and to be honest it’s mostly for the good looks!!!

audioguy3107 10-23-2018 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SL1800 (Post 936955)

Can you tell a noticeable difference on a particular record with it on or off?

Masterlu 10-23-2018 11:13 PM

Buck... I find the periphery ring adds more than good looks. It provides more outer mass, they are surprisingly heavy.

Like you, all my vinyl is in great shape. That said, occasionally the edge may have a slight bend aka warp. The ring just makes it consistently easy to cue up a new album.

I use them on both of my ClearAudio tables too.

SAPHANA 10-23-2018 11:41 PM

I have one. Many of my records are 50+ years old so not flat at all. It helps a lot.

The only problem I have with it is two extra operations: to remove it then to put it back, which doubles the already lengthy manual process.

jpgr4blu 10-24-2018 12:10 AM

I hardly ever place the periphery ring on a record due to the tremendous inconvenience and the fact that I have very few warped records. When I did use it years ago, I could sometimes, but not always, hear a slight improvement in the sound (less tizzy on high end) presumably caused by a reduction of vibrations resulting from the stylus/vinyl interface. Now, I use the Stillpoints LP1 center weight and find that it damps the vinyl nicely. Seems to me you might be better served by putting your $ towards other vinyl needs.

AudioNut 10-24-2018 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SL1800 (Post 936955)

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Me Too! I just leave it on the platter and never put it over the record. Looks good though!

miner 10-27-2018 11:45 PM

I leave mine on my Aries and use it only for the warped LPs which I have less than 2% in my collection. The rotational mass is a nice bonus.

Mikado463 10-29-2018 10:42 AM

Buck, mine has been on my Aries III ever since I upgraded to the 'super platter' years ago. With the majority of my pressings it stays beneath but for the handful of noticeably warped it's put to use. I believe it aids in regions of deep bass where groove modulation (control) can be an issue.