AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Audio Research (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Audio Research Reference Anniversary preamp from theaudiobeat.com (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=4246)

klipschfan 04-30-2010 12:09 PM

Audio Research Reference Anniversary preamp from theaudiobeat.com

Audio Research Reference Anniversary preamp from theaudiobeat.com

The Audio Beat - Audio Research's Best-Ever Preamp is Cause for Celebration; Audio Research Anniversary Reference Preamp

jdandy 04-30-2010 01:15 PM

Brian.......This is a beautiful preamplifier. It almost looks like Audio Research took a page or two out of the McIntosh C1000C/T play book.

klipschfan 04-30-2010 01:27 PM

And a few tubes from BAT...:D

cmalak 04-30-2010 01:56 PM

Klipschfan...the 6H30 tube has been the basis of ARC's preamps for the past 6 years or so, having switched over from the 6922s starting with the ARC Ref 3 pre-amp I believe and has been the basis of all their pre-amps and phono stages since then.

klipschfan 04-30-2010 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmalak (Post 78549)
Klipschfan...the 6H30 tube has been the basis of ARC's preamps for the past 6 years or so, having switched over from the 6922s starting with the ARC Ref 3 pre-amp I believe and has been the basis of all their pre-amps and phono stages since then.

...and a few tubes from BAT

This is from Dec 2000

Balanced Audio Technology (BAT) is renown for the quality of their preamplifiers (VK-5i) and power amplifiers (VK-500), and they just seem to get better and better. Their VK-60 has been an amplifier "to die for". The VK-75 is the replacement for the VK-60. It has more power than the VK-60 (75 watts per channel instead of 60). The VK-75SE (SE means Special Edition) utilizes the new 6H30 tube that BAT's designer, Victor Khomenko, is extremely proud of. The 6H30 tube is Russian in origin, and was part of their secret nuclear arms program. It was obviously not allowed out of the country, until the Soviet Union became Russia and a democracy. You might wonder why the heck would anyone use tubes in such critical electronics when you could use transistors? Well, it turns out that tubes are not as subject to the electromagnetic problems that occur when a nuclear weapon is detonated. Transistors are much more sensitive to this.

PHC1 04-30-2010 02:25 PM

Cool. :thumbsup: I owned a BAT preamp with 6H30 tubes so I am familiar with its sonic signature. :yes: All the earlier ARC preamps I owned did not.

I have no doubt this ARC Anniversary preamp is going to be nothing short of amazing. :music:

PHC1 04-30-2010 02:30 PM

I wonder if they will do an Anniversary amp of some sort? :scratch2:

jdandy 04-30-2010 02:41 PM

Audio Research Anniversary amplifiers would be a great compliment to this awesome preamp.

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/news/pic...nniversary.jpg

cmalak 04-30-2010 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klipschfan (Post 78557)
...and a few tubes from BAT

This is from Dec 2000

Balanced Audio Technology (BAT) is renown for the quality of their preamplifiers (VK-5i) and power amplifiers (VK-500), and they just seem to get better and better. Their VK-60 has been an amplifier "to die for". The VK-75 is the replacement for the VK-60. It has more power than the VK-60 (75 watts per channel instead of 60). The VK-75SE (SE means Special Edition) utilizes the new 6H30 tube that BAT's designer, Victor Khomenko, is extremely proud of. The 6H30 tube is Russian in origin, and was part of their secret nuclear arms program. It was obviously not allowed out of the country, until the Soviet Union became Russia and a democracy. You might wonder why the heck would anyone use tubes in such critical electronics when you could use transistors? Well, it turns out that tubes are not as subject to the electromagnetic problems that occur when a nuclear weapon is detonated. Transistors are much more sensitive to this.

Klipschfan...fair enough. I thought you meant that they have adopted the 6H30 for the first time here in this Anniversary edition and I wanted to point out that they started back in 2004 with the Ref 3. But for sure it sounds like BAT was the first to the game with a preamp topology based on the 6H30 tube. :thumbsup:

Still-One 04-30-2010 03:54 PM

That is a very nice looking unit. :thumbsup: nice going AR