AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Subwoofers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Sub for Harbeth HL5+ (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=45427)

ATC2 03-24-2019 06:27 PM

Sub for Harbeth HL5+

Hello everyone, I recently acquired a pair of Harbeth speakers and I’m considering argumenting the low end with a sub. As most of you know several good choices out there, I’m leaning towards Rel but open to options just wanting to hear of some suggestions and of course from someone that may have done this already. Thanks for the feed back.

RC.

crwilli 03-24-2019 07:03 PM

Sub for Harbeth HL5+

I can’t compare subs but my JL Audio Fathom F113v2 kicks butt with my Strads. The D.A.R.O. DSP makes a huge difference. Within reason, it tunes itself.

Puma Cat 03-24-2019 07:45 PM

For your Harbeths, I'd look at the new REL T7i.

I think will match and integrate most seamlessly with overall sonic signature of your Harbeths.

Harbeths are very, very carefully manufactured so that each driver is hand-selected to match with the other drivers in the cabinet *and* the drivers in the other, matching speaker. You want a sub that will fill out the lower octaves in a vrey natural way and integrate seamlessly with the lower mids and mids in a manner that the span of the tonal range from top to bottom is one of "whole cloth".

My guess is, as good the JLs are, their bass output might be "overpowering" relative to the very tightly integrated overall coherent presentation by the Harbeths. I think the RELs would be a better match and will integrate more coherently and seamlessly with the Harbeths, so that the "magic" of Harbeths is only enhanced and not "discordant". The fact they are 1/4th the cost ($3000 cheaper) of the JL doesn't hurt, either.

There's an excellent article here at Tone Audio: http://www.tonepublications.com/revi...t7i-subwoofer/

crwilli 03-24-2019 08:04 PM

And seriously consider a crossover that will allow you to better integrate the sub you buy.

Msegal 03-24-2019 08:49 PM

I also nominate a REL sub. They do not require a crossover since they hook up from the amplifier output. I personally find them more musical then most other SW’s.

Jdsmoke 03-24-2019 08:49 PM

I have a Rel w my Harbeths and it works well. I looked around for about a year and Rels integrate nicely w 2 channel systems.

crwilli 03-24-2019 09:21 PM

I don’t know how a Sub that connects to the Amplifier integrates well by default. That means the mains are receiving a full range signal and the sub is overlapping to some extent. To me, that is not integration. How is that different from an amplified sub like the JL Audio which takes its signal directly from the preamplifier?

What am I missing?

ATC2 03-24-2019 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 958431)
For your Harbeths, I'd look at the new REL T7i.

I think will match and integrate most seamlessly with overall sonic signature of your Harbeths.

Harbeths are very, very carefully manufactured so that each driver is hand-selected to match with the other drivers in the cabinet *and* the drivers in the other, matching speaker. You want a sub that will fill out the lower octaves in a vrey natural way and integrate seamlessly with the lower mids and mids in a manner that the span of the tonal range from top to bottom is one of "whole cloth".

My guess is, as good the JLs are, their bass output might be "overpowering" relative to the very tightly integrated overall coherent presentation by the Harbeths. I think the RELs would be a better match and will integrate more coherently and seamlessly with the Harbeths, so that the "magic" of Harbeths is only enhanced and not "discordant". The fact they are 1/4th the cost ($3000 cheaper) of the JL doesn't hurt, either.

There's an excellent article here at Tone Audio: http://www.tonepublications.com/revi...t7i-subwoofer/

I was thinking along those line and considering a T9i, but when I went to the REL website I noticed they recommend tha S5 SHO, so I’m wondering if I need something that big to properly integrate or can I get good results with a smaller one.

ATC2 03-24-2019 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jdsmoke (Post 958437)
I have a Rel w my Harbeths and it works well. I looked around for about a year and Rels integrate nicely w 2 channel systems.

Thanks JD, you’ve done what I would to do.
I wonder how REL determines their matchup recommendations?

ATC2 03-24-2019 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crwilli (Post 958438)
I don’t know how a Sub that connects to the Amplifier integrates well by default. That means the mains are receiving a full range signal and the sub is overlapping to some extent. To me, that is not integration. How is that different from an amplified sub like the JL Audio which takes its signal directly from the preamplifier?

What am I missing?

I think you make a valid point, I have read a very informative write up by the person that designed JL’s where he explains this rational and the subs are highly reviewed/ recommended. Hefty price but you are getting the inergrated DSP so justifiable I guess.