AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Wyred 4 Sound (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   New Statement Amplifier at Newport (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=35991)

Randy Myers 06-02-2016 10:35 AM

New Statement Amplifier at Newport

The new Statement amplifier is being showcased this weekend at T.H.E. Show Newport...

Here is a quick blurb from The Absolute Sound...

Wyred 4 Sound to Showcase All-New STATEMENT Amplifier at T.H.E. Show Newport. | The Absolute Sound

Randy Myers 06-07-2016 01:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
"We've been struggling with this room since we got in the door," I was told about an ostensibly square, standard-size hotel room that for some reason had a chunk of one of its corners truncated at a 45-degree angle. To cope with the havoc that little hiccup played with their sound, the Wyred 4 Sound folks oriented their speakers along the long wall, and opted for nearfield listening.

With all the problems, I would have expected disappointing sound. Happily, the opposite was the case. Wyred 4 Sound's forthcoming Roon-ready music server ($ TBD), forthcoming Statement amp (approx. $5000), and SST Thoebe II preamplifier with optional DAC and phono stage ($4250), paired with KEF Reference 3 Foundry Edition speakers ($13,000/pair), exhibited a really nice midrange and some good layering on Bill Frisell's "Pipeline." Switching gears to a high-res period-instrument recording of a Bach cantata, conducted by Masaaki Suzuki, the sound was lovely, the air laudable, and the tenor voice reproduced very well. This was a most enjoyable system, with components whose prices are not out of the reach for someone with a decent job and a penchant for saving pennies.

Read more at T.H.E. Show Newport's Amazing 2nd Floor | Stereophile.com

2fastdriving 06-07-2016 01:07 PM

Oh sure, it's the room's fault...lol

Randy Myers 06-07-2016 01:15 PM

:).... but he liked it, he liked it ... :D

2fastdriving 06-07-2016 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Myers (Post 784291)
:).... but he liked it, he liked it ... :D

I know, I just always chuckle when people start out with something negative about the room. Those shows are all in crappy rooms...yet somehow the good equipment always shines. Where there's a will, there's a way :yes:

Randy Myers 06-07-2016 01:35 PM

I have never been, but would love to sometime. It sounds like this was the hardest time they have had with a room at a show :)...

But all is well that ends well I suppose. I guess the amplifier went over like gang busters.... people were blown away with EJ's new proprietary Class D amplifier and at 750 WPC people were like.... HOLY CRAP!

ajdo 06-07-2016 02:04 PM

Don't want to offend anyone here but color choices - on paper- are tacky to say the least , personal opinion of course ;) Maybe they should change marketing color designer !

Randy Myers 06-07-2016 03:13 PM

Yea, I did not particularly like the cooper myself. There are going to be other choices. Tony was telling me about a smokey grey that they may offer which looks spectacular. I think a basic black like I have on my amplifier now would be my personal choice!

The color on the one at the show does match the KEF's very well though!

Wyred4Sound 06-15-2016 05:02 PM

Thanks Randy for starting this discussion. The biggest problem with the room at T.H.E. Show (other than being smaller than we had anticipated -- the diagrams are no substitute for the real thing :icon_thumbsdown:) was that we had a corner that was at a 45º angle, and lots of glass on one side. In the end we did get it sounding pretty good though, all things considered!

Yes, we will offer at least one other choice besides the copper for the Statement. If you haven't yet, please feel free to sign up to our newsletter to get the latest news on the Statement and everything else Wyred :music:

Join the newsletter

Thanks,
Tony