AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Turntables & Tonearms (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Time to upgrade TT and cartridge (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=42461)

richardallred 03-14-2018 03:46 PM

Time to upgrade TT and cartridge

Just ordered a new Lyra Etna cartridge

Considering the VPI Avenger Plus or the Avenger Reference

Any thought on which would be appreciated

Also factory mods. Like Dual pivot or XLR junction box

My Bat phono stage has balanced inputs

Thanks

R

bigblue 03-14-2018 03:56 PM

Wow. By ordering the Etna as a start you are in for a treat no matter what TT you finally choose. In my hose the Etna is hooked up to a Brinkmann Bardo and produces both presence and nerve every time.
Good luck on your journey.

richardallred 03-14-2018 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblue (Post 905740)
Wow. By ordering the Etna as a start you are in for a treat no matter what TT you finally choose. In my hose the Etna is hooked up to a Brinkmann Bardo and produces both presence and nerve every time.
Good luck on your journey.

Was thinking about a Brinkmann table but don’t know much about them. How do you like yours?

mulveling 03-14-2018 04:33 PM

On the Avenger Reference, I'd be very concerned about the following verbiage (from musicdirect's listing):
Quote:

The bottom bearing is an oil bath, and the PEEK thrust disc on the bottom bearing takes the full 30 pounds total of both platters. Hence, the thrust disc is replaceable and should be changed every year so constantly get the sound of a new 'table.
No part on a high end turntable, other than the belt and cartridge, should have only a 1-year lifespan. I've also seen a report (though I forget which forum) from a very unsatisfied owner of this model; it should be easy to find via search. My other concern, given the short reign of the Classic Direct (remember that?) would be: is this very expensive table line still going to be in production in 3 years? The longer the run, the better the chance you'll be able to attain service and replacement parts 10+ years down the line.

If I were going VPI I'd get an HR-X, no question. With an Etna, WOW that should be an amazing setup! I had some strong interest around this Avenger line when it was first introduced, but after more contemplation it was very easy choice for me to stick with Clearaudio and upgrade to Master Innovation.

vintage_tube 03-14-2018 04:36 PM

After a recent post, in which I commented regarding the PEEK thrust bearing, I thought about it and could have sworn I read something Matt Weisfeld wrote regarding the bearing and replacement/maintenance.

Well, I found it:

"The Avenger bearing does not have to be disassembled and rebuilt like that once a year unless it is being put through some major DIY process that we haven't tested. The projected wear and tear was more in the 5-10 year projection pending upon use. Regardless of any turntable brand there is always an element or mechanism that will need to be replaced in time. Luckily with VPI owners we will still be around to help you with whatever that part is years later."

Best Sirs,

Bob

vintage_tube 03-14-2018 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling (Post 905747)
On the Avenger Reference, I'd be very concerned about the following verbiage (from musicdirect's listing):

No part on a high end turntable, other than the belt and cartridge, should have only a 1-year lifespan. I've also seen a report (though I forget which forum) from a very unsatisfied owner of this model; it should be easy to find via search. My other concern, given the short reign of the Classic Direct (remember that?) would be: is this very expensive table line still going to be in production in 3 years? The longer the run, the better the chance you'll be able to attain service and replacement parts 10+ years down the line.

See post #5 in this thread regarding the PEEK Thrust bearing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling (Post 905747)
If I were going VPI I'd get an HR-X, no question.

Regarding the HRX -- I think it has been discontinued.

Best Sirs,

Bob

richardallred 03-17-2018 07:00 PM

Well I just could not hold myself back. Just ordered VPI Avenger Reference TT. I’m told 3 to 4 weeks until it’s shipped

Antonmb 03-17-2018 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richardallred (Post 906406)
Well I just could not hold myself back. Just ordered VPI Avenger Reference TT. I’m told 3 to 4 weeks until it’s shipped

That’s one serious vinyl rig, congratulations![emoji898]

richardallred 03-17-2018 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonmb (Post 906448)
That’s one serious vinyl rig, congratulations![emoji898]

Thanks, now I just have to wait.

gadawg 03-18-2018 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richardallred (Post 906406)

Just at my VPI dealer yesterday and auditioned the Avenger Reference with the Transfiguration Proteus ... An amazing combo. I'm trying to resist. The Avenger tables are simply amazing.

George