AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Stillpoints (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   Latest specifications for Stillpoints range (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=29556)

John49 12-23-2014 04:11 PM

Latest specifications for Stillpoints range

Could allvinyl / John give us a breakdown of the now wider Stillpoints range? Which are threaded one end and which end? Which are threaded both ends for attachment to speakers and spikes at the opposite end? Which are not threaded at all?

I believe this would help everyone who is struggling to know which Stillpoints product is best for a given use.

Thank you in advance John.

John
SUKUG or SUGUK (haven't decided what to call the UK User Group and it is still to be created!)

allvinyl 01-08-2015 02:54 PM

Stillpoints Products Clarification

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by John49 (Post 661166)
Could allvinyl / John give us a breakdown of the now wider Stillpoints range? Which are threaded one end and which end? Which are threaded both ends for attachment to speakers and spikes at the opposite end? Which are not threaded at all?

I believe this would help everyone who is struggling to know which Stillpoints product is best for a given use.

Thank you in advance John.

John
SUKUG or SUGUK (haven't decided what to call the UK User Group and it is still to be created!)

Glad to...

Ultra Minis
- Standard Mini w/ Base has a 8/32 stud on to which the Mini Base is threaded.
- Mini Base available on 8/32 size only.
- Minis can be attached but are limited to the following sized male studs: 6/32, 8/32, 1/4-20, M4, M6.
- Each Mini will support up to 50 lbs.

Ultra SS
- The body and pad under the Hard Hat are each tapped at 1/4-20.
- A spike is available that can be used at either end.
- A wide variety US Standard and metric size adapters are available for attaching to components.
- A Ultra Base can be attached to either end. The Base provides a larger footprint for increased stability, if needed, and will also provide increased performance.
- We don't have weight bearing test results, but we have many times supported speakers weighing upwards of 1000 lbs on 4 Ultra SS.

Ultra 5
- The flat, non-technology containing half is tapped at 1/4-20.
- The beveled, technology half is tapped at 1/2-20.
- The Ultra 5 spike is 1/2-20 so can only be used in the beveled half, implying installation will be with the beveled side down.
- The Ultra SS spike can be used in the 1/4-20 tap on the flat side, implying the beveled side with the tech pockets will be used towards the component. Usually preferred because this installation, typically, yields best performance.
- Additionally, we have 1/2-20 to 1/4-20 adapters that can be used to attach with the beveled side up. NOTE: you would only be able to attach if the component is tapped at 1/4-20.
- A Ultra Base can be attached to either end. The Base is the same 3" diameter of the Ultra 5.

Ultra 6 (see attached pic of Ultra 6 with attached Ultra Base)
- Single puck of stainless similar to the Ultra LPI.
- Same 3" diameter as LPI or Ultra 5.
- Has 5 exposed tech pockets on one side, as on the LPI, and 1 exposed tech pocket centered on the other side. The single, centered tech pocket has the same 1/4-20 tapped pad as on the Ultra SS. No taps for attachment are available on the side with 5 tech pockets.
- Can be used with attached Ultra Base.
- Each Ultra 6 can easily support 250 lbs.
- NOTE: this product was originally designed for use attaching to the Grid of an ESS rack. Attaching is only possible with the 5-pad side down using the 1/4-20 tap of the single, centered pad on the reverse side.

http://www.audioaficionado.org/attac...ultra-base.jpg

Masterlu 01-08-2015 05:21 PM

Valuable info, I made it a Sticky. :ok:

John49 01-08-2015 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 665753)
Valuable info, I made it a Sticky. :ok:

Thank you John / allvinyl. Much appreciated.

Vintage Pete 11-30-2016 10:14 AM

I was under the impression that the Ultra minis were non-attachable. I'm not wild on the idea of having the components just sitting on the Stillpoint without being attached. I would much prefer replacing the stock feet with the Stillpoints. Going by post #2 it appears I could attach (4) ultra minis to my McIntosh MCD/MDA1000 components using 1/4"-20 studs. Is this in fact correct?

Masterlu 11-30-2016 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintage Pete (Post 816651)
I was under the impression that the Ultra minis were non-attachable. I'm not wild on the idea of having the components just sitting on the Stillpoint without being attached. I would much prefer replacing the stock feet with the Stillpoints. Going by post #2 it appears I could attach (4) ultra minis to my McIntosh MCD/MDA1000 components using 1/4"-20 studs. Is this in fact correct?

Pete... while the Mini's do offer a threaded adapter option; the choices are very limited. 1/4-20 is not possible with the Mini's.

Ultra SS or bust. ;)

Vintage Pete 11-30-2016 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 816693)
Pete... while the Mini's do offer a threaded adapter option; the choices are very limited. 1/4-20 is not possible with the Mini's.

Ultra SS or bust. ;)

Ivan....okay, allvinyl/John does list 1/4-20 as one of the size options for the ultra minis in post #2.

Masterlu 11-30-2016 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintage Pete (Post 816706)
Ivan....okay, allvinyl/John does list 1/4-20 as one of the size options for the ultra minis in post #2.

I will double check; maybe they make a new adapter I am unaware of.

tutomac 11-30-2016 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 816715)
I will double check; maybe they make a new adapter I am unaware of.

I would also be interested in this as screwing the minis under my components would be preferable. I am having a hard time with the components sliding around when I touch them.

Masterlu 11-30-2016 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintage Pete (Post 816706)

Ok, here is where the confusion came in; they must be custom ordered that way:

"The Mini Ultra can be supplied with a male threaded stud in the following diameters and pitches: M6-1.0, M4-0.7, 6-32, 8-32, or 1/4-20. The 1/4-20 Mini Ultra "Without Base" is the first step in upgrading the ESS rack with "The Grid."

So standard Ultra Mini's cannot to converted.

NOTE: The Mini Ultra does not accept any Stillpoints adapters