AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Mark Levinson (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Mark Levinson 432 Amplifier on the Way (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=15917)

BillK 11-02-2012 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kfr01 (Post 364781)
As much as I love the Audio Research gear (especially the large displays on the Ref. Preamps), I've decided that tubes are out. My favorite time to listen to music is after the world has gone to bed and I am winding down from a long day of work. This sometimes (read: often) results in me falling asleep in my listening chair and leaving the whole system powered on all night.

There's nothing wrong with leaving ARC equipment on save for accelerating hours accumulation.

Be sure to amortize tube replacement cost against the cost of a solid state unit which is usually significantly higher in cost (e.g. ARC Ref 5 SE vs Ayre KX-R.)

mbovaird 11-02-2012 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillK

There's nothing wrong with leaving ARC equipment on save for accelerating hours accumulation.

Be sure to amortize tube replacement cost against the cost of a solid state unit which is usually significantly higher in cost (e.g. ARC Ref 5 SE vs Ayre KX-R.)

Congrats Bill. I'm in the hunt for some SS amps (can't decide between Classe CA-M600's, Parasound JC-1 or Pass xa160.5/200.5 for my Strads). My issue is that I often only have 15 minutes to listen and I hate turning on the tube amps (2301's) and then right off again. I think all the on/off could reduce the life of the tubes. When I'm going to do 2+ hours of listening, the tubes will go on. My fear is that the Pass labs will sound too much like the 2301's. I think this time around, I want a faster amp. Running my Classe CA-2300 this week (from my family room system in my main system) has showed me how great some SS amps can sound.

Congrats on the ML amp....they are terrific.

tunes 11-02-2012 10:08 AM

not sure about the classe and parasound but the strads sound very good top to bottom with the pass xa100.5 amps. If you have a large room (can't tell from your pics) or play really loud, the xa200 may be worth it but I would hazard a guess that the xa160.5 would be ideal and you may even get away with the xa100.5
chris

mbovaird 11-02-2012 10:15 AM

Oddly enough, that is the recommendation of 4 others I've spoken with. I might go for the xa200.5's. Gasp! 700 watts power consumption at idle. Wow.

kfr01 11-02-2012 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbovaird (Post 387397)
...My issue is that I often only have 15 minutes to listen and I hate turning on the tube amps (2301's) and then right off again. I think all the on/off could reduce the life of the tubes.

I have the same issue. I have to say, the Levinson is beautiful in this regard.

From the manual describing the Levinson's button-operated standby mode:
"Power is connected to the main power supply and voltage gain stages. Power is not connected to the output (current gain) stage. Because voltage gain stages are kept at their normal operating temperatures, the No432/431 remains warmed-up to deliver an optimal performance. In standby, the No432/431 consumes about 50W of power."

mbovaird 11-02-2012 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kfr01

I have the same issue. I have to say, the Levinson is beautiful in this regard.

From the manual describing the Levinson's button-operated standby mode:
"Power is connected to the main power supply and voltage gain stages. Power is not connected to the output (current gain) stage. Because voltage gain stages are kept at their normal operating temperatures, the No432/431 remains warmed-up to deliver an optimal performance. In standby, the No432/431 consumes about 50W of power."

Brilliant! I wonder if the Classe CA-M600 amps I'm looking at do that??

joeinid 11-02-2012 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbovaird (Post 387720)
Brilliant! I wonder if the Classe CA-M600 amps I'm looking at do that??

Standby power consumption < 1W
Rated power consumption 440W @ 1/8th power into 8Ω

From room temperature, the amplifiers warm up fast. They reach their ideal temperature in less than fifteen minutes and remain there regardless of how hard they are driven. No conventional heatsink can do this.

audiohippo 09-13-2015 03:13 AM

What happened to the ML432?

Old School 02-07-2016 10:11 PM

Beautiful Amp!