AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   CD Players, Digital Music & Servers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Please help! - Upgrade from dCS Puccini? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=44418)

Gerry Higgins 11-21-2018 09:36 PM

Please help! - Upgrade from dCS Puccini?

Hi folks-

I am new to this forum. I have been considering an upgrade to my dCS Puccini player and am having a problem figuring out what to do.

I have thousands of SACDs and CDs, and in this instance, I am not interested in a streaming player.

If I wanted to upgrade within the dCS product line, it would be very expensive (multi-box Rossini or Vivaldi, or the Vivaldi One = $80K).

I am currently looking at buying a pre-owned product (if possible) and keep the price below $15K:
1. EMM Labs XDS1 V2;
2. Ayon Audio CD-35;
3. Esoteric K-01X.

Any advice?

My dream would be a slightly used Esoteric Grandioso K1 SACD/CD player, but the new purchase price is above $20K. MSB Technology products are great, but a transport plus DAC would be expensive. I have also considered T+A...My current system is the dCS Puccini > McIntosh C22 (new series) > Audio Research GS150 amplifier > Wilson Audio Sasha 2 speakers, all with great cables, power conditioner, etc.

Obviously, I am ruminating about this too much. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank-you in advance - Gerry

Masterlu 11-21-2018 10:12 PM

Gerry Higgins... Welcome to AA! :wave:

BTW: Grandioso K1 retails for $31K

ariess 11-22-2018 11:18 AM

Advice. Stretch for the K1. It’s amazing and with the system you have, it’s the appropriate choice. Talk to Ivan, I am sure he can get you some discount.

FDPDK 11-22-2018 02:59 PM

Gerry Higgins , welcome to AA.

tdelahanty 11-22-2018 03:04 PM

Your player is so good :music:

Gerry Higgins 11-24-2018 10:06 AM

Thank you for the feedback. It would be difficult enough to travel around and these players at various dealers or at shows...and impossible to hear all of the variety of choices with my own system in my listening room.

The dCS Puccini player sounds great. It is just the obsessive urge some of us have to upgrade. The Esoteric Grandioso K-1 would be a good choice, albeit expensive, and some have suggested it sounds "too digital."

Other suggestions have included the T+A PDP 3000 player, an MSB combination (DAC and transport=$$$), or a Luxman D-08.

In any event, feedback is appreciated, and I am glad to be a member of this forum. - Gerry

ariess 11-24-2018 01:30 PM

No one I have ever known thinks the K1 sounds digital. In fact it’s so the opposite (it’s lush) that someone who said that probably never heard it or only likes vinyl.

Masterlu 11-24-2018 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ariess (Post 941892)
No one I have ever known thinks the K1 sounds digital. In fact it’s so the opposite (it’s lush) that someone who said that probably never heard it or only likes vinyl.

Or can’t afford it. ;)