AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Power Conditioners (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Would like some tips on cleaning up power (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=38303)

docmd2010 01-12-2017 12:09 AM

Would like some tips on cleaning up power

As some of you may know, I am going to be finishing my basement in my home, in which a home theater/2 channel audio will be created. The room will be about 21 x 20 x 8.5 feet in size.

My 7.2 channel audio is listed below. These two channels will also the front speakers of my home theater. Oh, and I have 2 REL 25 subwoofers on order, mainly for 2 channel audio, but also for creating a 7.4 HT.

Utmost importance for me is pristine 2 channel audio for music. I have invested a great deal of time and money nitpicking components that improve clarity, increase soundstage perception, etc etc.

Of note, I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a Niagara 7000 AQ power conditioner. Power cabling will be all Nordost.

In all i will have the following amplifiers:

1. 2 MC601
2. MC 8207
3. 2 REL 25 subs
4. 2 REL G2

Preamps/sources:

1. Mcintosh C52
2. Aurender N10
3. VPI Avenger turntable
4. Xbox
5. Probably an esoteric D02X
6. Probably an esoteric phono stage

How should I wire the circuity in my basement? How many 20 A circuits? what goes on each circuit?

How much detail should I pay to the type of outlets, the receptacles, the type of wiring, filters? What components should I def. buy? Ideally, I'd like to have the cleanest power possible?

How do I avoid hum on my equipment?

Sorry for the long post, and i'm sure i'll have more questions along the way as the thread gets going.

Thanks for reading and any help that you could provide!

Cohibaman 01-12-2017 12:25 AM

I'd recommend first a whole house surge suppressor. There's several posts on them.

Next I'd recommend a PS Audio P5 or P10 depending on total wattage of connected devices. Ivan can certainly help you with this one. :thumbsup:

...and don't forget to run Ethernet cable while you still can. :thumbsup:

cmarin 01-12-2017 08:24 AM

Would like some tips on cleaning up power

The new Furutech NCF outlets, wall plates and power cord connectors have made a significant positive impact on my system. I would also suggest you investigate the Shunyata Denali power conditioner and Entreq grounding boxes.

Clean power is essential, together with room treatments, vibration control, transparent and synergistic components, to great sound quality.

tima 01-12-2017 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by docmd2010 (Post 825830)
As some of you may know, I am going to be finishing my basement in my home, in which a home theater/2 channel audio will be created. The room will be about 21 x 20 x 8.5 feet in size.

My 7.2 channel audio is listed below. These two channels will also the front speakers of my home theater. Oh, and I have 2 REL 25 subwoofers on order, mainly for 2 channel audio, but also for creating a 7.4 HT.

Utmost importance for me is pristine 2 channel audio for music. I have invested a great deal of time and money nitpicking components that improve clarity, increase soundstage perception, etc etc.

Of note, I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a Niagara 7000 AQ power conditioner. Power cabling will be all Nordost.

In all i will have the following amplifiers:

1. 2 MC601
2. MC 8207
3. 2 REL 25 subs
4. 2 REL G2

Preamps/sources:

1. Mcintosh C52
2. Aurender N10
3. VPI Avenger turntable
4. Xbox
5. Probably an esoteric D02X
6. Probably an esoteric phono stage

How should I wire the circuity in my basement? How many 20 A circuits? what goes on each circuit?

How much detail should I pay to the type of outlets, the receptacles, the type of wiring, filters? What components should I def. buy? Ideally, I'd like to have the cleanest power possible?

How do I avoid hum on my equipment?

Sorry for the long post, and i'm sure i'll have more questions along the way as the thread gets going.

Thanks for reading and any help that you could provide!

There several threads in this sub-forum that speak to many of your questions.

Here's one: https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=20021

And another: https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=1640

I encourage you to look through the thread titles.

klh007 02-26-2017 10:12 PM

docmd2010, Regarding power conditioning and especially hum issues, consider the CPT Equi=Core balanced power units, for your system they make 1800 watt capacity 8 outlet versions. Balanced Power is a proprietary transformer that splits the 120V into 2 out of phase 60V halves, and when they are recombined the non-zero summed noise is drained to ground, lowering the noise floor dramatically. In my system most importantly it does no harm, many conditioners I tried squashed the dynamic excitement of the music, the E=Q 300 I have doesn't harm the dynamic swings, and the lower noise floor lets more details pour through and my soundstage grew in both depth and width. I wouldn't have tried it, but the return policy made me pull the trigger, 30 day home trial, and if you don't like the results they pickup shipping both ways, so it was a no brainer, and I kept it. made in the USA, affordable, and it works.

PASSFREAK 02-27-2017 09:26 AM

Clean and stable power is mandatory in a true high end system.
In my case i choose a PS Audio P10 powerplant because in my city the electricity drops are normal :damnit:
If you don't like the active devices and you have stable power one of the best options is a full stack of Shunyata products (Triton + Typhon + DPC-6) for the front end and Denali for the power amps.
Powercords are very important too, in my oppinion the SIGMA line of Shunyata is amazing.
I think that Ivan can help you in both options.
Cheers
Pablo

mtroo 02-27-2017 10:37 AM

I give up. What's the XBox for, besides playing games? Do you run music through it somehow? I know my kids run Netflix etc etc through theirs.

audiohippo 04-12-2017 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmarin (Post 825882)
The new Furutech NCF outlets, wall plates and power cord connectors have made a significant positive impact on my system. I would also suggest you investigate the Shunyata Denali power conditioner and Entreq grounding boxes.

Clean power is essential, together with room treatments, vibration control, transparent and synergistic components, to great sound quality.

Can you recommend a shop online to buy the Furutech outlets from?

cmarin 04-12-2017 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audiohippo (Post 841453)
Can you recommend a shop online to buy the Furutech outlets from?

Hi Audiohippo,

Joe Pittman http://www.kosmic.us/

Mikado463 04-12-2017 12:05 PM

.......... and don't forget to read up on acoustic treatments, a square room is never a good thing.