AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Inspire by Dennis Had (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Dennis Had Inspire Amps (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24170)

Justlisten2 02-24-2014 02:08 AM

Very interesting little amp, thanks for sharing your experiences Peter. I'm assuming when you say 12 watts, we are talking about 12 watts per channel, right? What are the amps dimensions? Has anyone talked with Dennis about making a monoblock pair of these amps? Has anyone gotten contact information for Dennis yet?

I'd like to try one of these amps with my Cary SLP-98P F1 preamp. My speakers are 91 dB sensitivity and a 8 ohm load, my room is 24X14X9. I think that 12 wpc may be enough, though I am currently using a 100 wpc Class A SS amp. Worst case I could bi-amp with the SS amp on the bass.

pstrisik 02-24-2014 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justlisten2 (Post 583882)
Very interesting little amp, thanks for sharing your experiences Peter. I'm assuming when you say 12 watts, we are talking about 12 watts per channel, right? What are the amps dimensions? Has anyone talked with Dennis about making a monoblock pair of these amps? Has anyone gotten contact information for Dennis yet?

I'd like to try one of these amps with my Cary SLP-98P F1 preamp. My speakers are 91 dB sensitivity and a 8 ohm load, my room is 24X14X9. I think that 12 wpc may be enough, though I am currently using a 100 wpc Class A SS amp. Worst case I could bi-amp with the SS amp on the bass.

Right, 12wpc. I am running it at 10wpc with the 274B rectifier. Dimensions are 10" wide, 8" deep. Petite thing! I did ask him about monoblocs and he didn't seem particularly interested, at least for now. Contact info is still through his ebay account, radioman731. He seems to prefer it that way and he responds pretty quickly. I have an email address from sending him money through paypal, but wouldn't give it out without his ok. You can look for one of his listings, or you can contact him and ask for what you want. I had to ask special for the jag red finish. He seems to like either that creamy white or black for the ones he's been posting.

Given my experience, I think you would be fine as your room is smaller and your speakers are more sensitive.

pstrisik 02-24-2014 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speakerlabfan (Post 583841)
:lurk: interesting to see this, thanks for posting.

I'd like to hear this amp.

Ever in Anchorage? Just the next state over from you! :cool:

pstrisik 02-27-2014 08:40 PM

Anyone have any recommendations for favored EL34 tubes? I would only need two for this amp, but don't want to pay the $100 for the rarer NOS. There are several current production brands including JJ, EH, Tung-Sol, SED, Sino, and new production Mullard that are all under $100/pair. I'd go NOS if not too expensive.

I realize it is amp and system dependent to some degree, but I have to start somewhere!

The Inspire will take quite a few different power tubes without modification. I posted this earlier in the thread:

5 watts per channel - 6V6 output tubes and 5Y3 rectifier tube
7 watts per channel - 6L6, KT66, 5881 output and 5U4 rectifier
10 watts output - KT88, EL34, 6550, KT99, KT120, KT150 output and 5U4/274B rectifier
12 watts output - KT88, KT120, KT150 and 5AR4 rectifier

I might try some of the lower power tubes eventually.

Thanks.......Peter

Justlisten2 02-27-2014 11:11 PM

Sorry I can't help you with the EL34 question Peter, but I do have another question for you. Are these amps self-biasing? I ask because all of the choices for tubes would have more interest for me if the amps were self-biasing. Some tube amps are a pain to bias, and that would limit my tube curiosity.

pstrisik 02-27-2014 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justlisten2 (Post 584952)
Sorry I can't help you with the EL34 question Peter, but I do have another question for you. Are these amps self-biasing? I ask because all of the choices for tubes would have more interest for me if the amps were self-biasing. Some tube amps are a pain to bias, and that would limit my tube curiosity.

It is self-biasing or, doesn't need bias adjustment for certain groups of tubes. There are no user bias controls. Dennis has it so different power tubes require certain rectifiers. So that does alter the power going to the tubes, if I understand it correctly. The list of tube combos above are what he provided.

Justlisten2 03-02-2014 10:55 PM

Peter, I just finished a deal with Dennis. He is going to custom make me a KT-88 (his reco) in the black faceplate with the Jaguar blue paint to match my SLP-98P.

He's a lot of fun to talk to. His energy level is contagious! LOL!! I told him that he had me as excited as a kid in a candy store waiting for this amp. I'll keep you posted.

http://usr.audioasylum.com/images/0/...P-98P_0041.JPG

pstrisik 03-03-2014 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justlisten2 (Post 585867)
Peter, I just finished a deal with Dennis. He is going to custom make me a KT-88 (his reco) in the black faceplate with the Jaguar blue paint to match my SLP-98P.

He's a lot of fun to talk to. His energy level is contagious! LOL!! I told him that he had me as excited as a kid in a candy store waiting for this amp. I'll keep you posted.

Definitely do! I'm glad to see more custom finishes.

Can you share more about what you told him and the rationale of his recommendation? I've been curious about how he sees things.

Thanks........Peter

Formerly YB-2 03-03-2014 11:24 AM

Are you going for PP or SET?

pstrisik 03-03-2014 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 585987)
Are you going for PP or SET?

As De Niro said, "Are you talkin' to me?" :cheers:

Dennis' current amps are all single ended.

.......Peter