AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Inspire by Dennis Had (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Dennis Had Inspire Amps (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24170)

Musica Amantem 08-07-2017 02:42 PM

Bombadil wrote: "The estimator above shows that with 100wpc a pair of 95dB speakers should hit something around 110dB (113dB if near wall). That's a realistic goal to shoot for, although if I could find a deal & could afford 200wpc, I'd probably go for it. There are some really good 100-135wpc SS amps around."

I'm hoping, if I do this, to get a good-sounding 200 watt power amp (not an integrated) for decent money. Not because of the nominal high SPL ceiling but because of its healthy headroom reserves to offer that "oomph" factor, when required. If not, I'll have to settle with a more modestly powered alternative in the hopes it would still make the trick. Any suggestions?

Bombadil 08-07-2017 06:52 PM

Hard to pick something for someone else. There's the Parasound A21, which can be had used in the $1500-$1800 range. Built like a tank. 250wpc. Has only been out for about 10 years, so none of them are very old. Still in production, so you can find them just 2 or 3 years old. Conrad Johnson 2550 is very nice. Their 2275SE is just 135 watts but filled with high-end Teflon caps, said to be very good. There's also a 2550SE but pricier.

Bryston 4B-SST's can be had for reasonable prices. They made a 4B-NRB, 4B-ST, 4B-SST, 4B-SST2 and 4B-Cubed (current model). The NRB's are pretty old now. They all came with a 20 year transferable warranty, no receipt required. So if you find one with a 2005 build date, it still has 8 years of warranty remaining.

There's the Cary SA-200 and a 200.2. This amp is well regarded and you could stay in the Dennis Had family of products. http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue61/cary200.2.htm I've seen them selling used in the low 2K range.

Lots of others out there, these are just a few.

I'd love to find a real 97-98dB speaker which connected with me. That would make my 17wpc Inspire act like a 75watt amp, as compared to with my 91dB speakers. That would be nice. I bet your triode Inspire makes a glorious 6 watts.

Musica Amantem 08-07-2017 10:26 PM

Thanks for the pointers. Interesting stuff.

When I got my current speakers over two years back, I was looking for that type of sensitivity and I don't regret it (be it 98 dB theoretical, which I deem more like 95 dB in real conditions), as they sound nice, with plenty of detail and transparency, sound-stage, etc. The perfect Inspire system match for acoustic jazz. These also sound great with quartets, trios, sonatas, and other chamber music, with the right timbres, etc.

Man, I thought I was settled already ... :sigh:

FloridaBoy 08-08-2017 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bombadil (Post 860527)
Hard to pick something for someone else. There's the Parasound A21, which can be had used in the $1500-$1800 range. Built like a tank. 250wpc. Has only been out for about 10 years, so none of them are very old. Still in production, so you can find them just 2 or 3 years old. Conrad Johnson 2550 is very nice. Their 2275SE is just 135 watts but filled with high-end Teflon caps, said to be very good. There's also a 2550SE but pricier.

Bryston 4B-SST's can be had for reasonable prices. They made a 4B-NRB, 4B-ST, 4B-SST, 4B-SST2 and 4B-Cubed (current model). The NRB's are pretty old now. They all came with a 20 year transferable warranty, no receipt required. So if you find one with a 2005 build date, it still has 8 years of warranty remaining.

There's the Cary SA-200 and a 200.2. This amp is well regarded and you could stay in the Dennis Had family of products. http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue61/cary200.2.htm I've seen them selling used in the low 2K range.

Lots of others out there, these are just a few.

I'd love to find a real 97-98dB speaker which connected with me. That would make my 17wpc Inspire act like a 75watt amp, as compared to with my 91dB speakers. That would be nice. I bet your triode Inspire makes a glorious 6 watts.

If there is a Klipsch dealer near you consider bringing your Inspire in and have a listen.

Bombadil 08-08-2017 01:20 PM

I have listened to Klipsch's many times, including the Klipschorn, La Scala, and Cornwall. They are not my cup of tea at all.

Musica Amantem 08-08-2017 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bombadil (Post 860668)
I have listened to Klipsch's many times, including the Klipschorn, La Scala, and Cornwall. They are not my cup of tea at all.

Good quality at reasonably prices, 95 dB or higher: Tekton Designs and Omega Loudspeakers (make sure you upgrade stock Caps)

Bombadil 08-08-2017 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musica Amantem (Post 860680)

Good quality at reasonably prices, 95 dB or higher: Tekton Designs and Omega Loudspeakers (make sure you upgrade stock Caps)

Yes, I am familiar with these too. Tekton consistently tests at 92dB. Omega is okay for what they are. Neither of these lines are close to what I already own. It would be difficult for me to step so far backwards in overall sound quality in order to gain a few dB in efficiency.

Musica Amantem 08-08-2017 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bombadil (Post 860696)
Yes, I am familiar with these too. Tekton consistently tests at 92dB. Omega is okay for what they are. Neither of these lines are close to what I already own. It would be difficult for me to step so far backwards in overall sound quality in order to gain a few dB in efficiency.

I know there have been some people testing the Tekton Lore's in some forums with some arguments on both sides ... Is that what you mean with these being consistently 92 dBs?

I can't really believe there is such a difference between the marketed 98 dB and the 92 you cited. Maybe different model speakers?

Rosco65 08-08-2017 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bombadil (Post 860696)

I own a number of medium to high efficiency speakers. What are you using right now?

Rosco65 08-08-2017 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musica Amantem (Post 860700)
I know there have been some people testing the Tekton Lore's in some forums with some arguments on both sides ... Is that what you mean with these being consistently 92 dBs?

I can't really believe there is such a difference between the marketed 98 dB and the 92 you cited. Maybe different model speakers?

There are two issues with stated efficiency:

1. Credibility of the source. We are required to trust the manufacturer's stated efficiency on its face. That is fine for those who are honest about their efficiency ratings, but for manufacturers who like to stretch the truth they can make any assertion they like.

2. Conditions under which the stated efficiency is measured. Sadly, most manufacturers do not couch their efficiency figures in standard terms. That means providing both the frequency range and bandwidth (e.g., +- 3dB). One speaker I own is rated for 94dB efficiency and 8 ohms impedance. However, in reality this speaker is only 94dB efficient from 500hz to 5,000hz. If we were to require it to be measured from 100hz to 10,000hz the actual efficiency would be closer to 90dB -0dB +4dB.

Your Tektons may be 98dB efficient over some point in their frequency range, but probably are less efficiency over the frequency range most of us would consider "full range"